Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Max tire size on a Nashbar Carbon fiber fork

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 08:09 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

I need to fit a 700x35 Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tire with fenders on my CX bike. The bike will continue with cantilever brakes for now.

I asked the Nashbar help desk, they told me "about a 35".

Any users with a clear answer?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-10-11, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Unidentifiable CX-based franken-commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I'm about to build up my CX bike using said fork tonight, I will have an answer for you this evening. I'm planning on a 32 right now, but we don't get rain/snow/weather where I live. I'll try it with a 35 for you.
Old 10-10-11, 10:48 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

That would be great. I need to decide in the next 10 days.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-10-11, 09:41 PM

Bikes: Unidentifiable CX-based franken-commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, so, I didn't get to try the fork with anything larger than a 32, but for sure the fork will clear a 35, probably a 37, maybe a 40. You should have no problems.
In related news, my road bike can take a 28... funny how I never thought to try before.
Old 10-11-11, 06:28 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by A10K
Ok, so, I didn't get to try the fork with anything larger than a 32, but for sure the fork will clear a 35, probably a 37, maybe a 40. You should have no problems.
In related news, my road bike can take a 28... funny how I never thought to try before.
Thanks, I'm now 99% sure it will take a full size 700x35 tire with fenders.
Old 10-11-11, 10:37 AM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
I am still playing with the fender setup on my Kona. The front fender is really close to the 30mm tire at the front end. I see the possibility of ice or packed snow jamming it as it sits right now. So I need to somehow find more room or a different fender as I need to fit at least a 32mm studded tire. I think if I bend the fender bracket that mounts to the top of the fork I can get another 1/4 or so clearance on the front. My point being that it may take some creative adjusting to get the clearance you need with your setup also. On my bike last year I even augmented the fenders with cut pieces from 2 liter bottles to give me even better coverage.
Old 10-11-11, 07:47 PM
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can go ahead a be 100%. This is a 38 in the Nashbar Carbon fork, and my ruler says that I still have a full centimeter of clearance.

Old 10-12-11, 06:06 AM
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
You can go ahead a be 100%. This is a 38 in the Nashbar Carbon fork, and my ruler says that I still have a full centimeter of clearance.

Thanks, G-C. Perfect!

How do you like the fork?

Michael
Old 10-12-11, 05:14 PM
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know yet, I'm waiting for a derailleur from Ebay to finish the build.
Old 10-12-11, 06:03 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I still have a full centimeter of clearance.
a muddy race course will fill that up.
Old 10-12-11, 07:20 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,983 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by GriddleCakes

Hmm, that looks pretty tight if a fender is to be added also. Wonder how much more room you are going to get with a 35mm?
Old 10-12-11, 11:16 PM
Tawp Dawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
a muddy race course will fill that up.
Given that the OP's asking about fender clearance, I don't think that muddy race courses are going to be a problem.

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Hmm, that looks pretty tight if a fender is to be added also. Wonder how much more room you are going to get with a 35mm?
Well, the tire in the pic is 40mm (and why does 35mm = 35C but 40mm = 38C, anyway), so there should be a 5 mm diff, right? Out of curiosity, I threw on a 50mm Big Apple from my 'muter, and it took up the 10mm gap from the 40mm Marathons exactly, which made sense. Except that I then threw a 40mm Nokian Hakka studded tire in the fork and gained about 4mm clearance over the 40mm non-studded Marathon. Tire sizing, how does it work?

Regardless, I think the OP will be fine to mount fenders. The Planet bike fenders on my 'muter measure only 2mm thick, and if you look at some of the fendered track bike setups over on SSFG, you'll see that it's possible to slip a fender into some pretty tight clearances.