Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7.1 fx vs 7.3 fx

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek 7.1 fx vs 7.3 fx

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-11, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 7.1 fx vs 7.3 fx

I'm looking to get a hybrid bike for riding to class and getting some exercise. My LBS has a '12 7.1 for $470 and a '10 7.3 for $500. This is my first time purchasing a bike and im not too familiar with all the components so I don't really know if it's worth the extra money for the older model. Also, are there any comprable models by other brands around the same price point? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-11, 11:27 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcamacho352
I'm looking to get a hybrid bike for riding to class and getting some exercise. My LBS has a '12 7.1 for $470 and a '10 7.3 for $500. This is my first time purchasing a bike and im not too familiar with all the components so I don't really know if it's worth the extra money for the older model. Also, are there any comprable models by other brands around the same price point? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi there Rcamacho!

I currently own a Trek 7.5FX. After riding the Coda Comp, the Jamis Quest, and the Bosanova, I can assure you that I want nothing to do with an aluminum framed-bicycle.

The Jamis Codas are all made of chromoly steel. If kept dry, they will last you for many decades to come! Nobody can say that about aluminum-framed bicycles. They will offer you years of service, but their days are numbered, especially with daily use.

Jamis Codas are all steel hybrids. Of course, they are primarily just road bikes with flat handlebars. However, Codas are slightly different from other hybrids, in that they have a very smooth and agile ride, so very distinctive of all steel-framed Jamis bikes. The Coda is a very swift bike! You can ride the Coda for many miles on a country road and wonder in utter amazement how you've accumulated so many miles in such a short span of time. Though, you are riding under steel, the steel is chromoly steel, and it is light! Jamis Codas are so light, that they quite successfully rival many of their aluminum hybrid cousins when it comes to speed and uphill triumps.

The components on the Coda can vary, depending upon where it's purchased. However, that doesn't matter. The components will be decent wherever it's purchased. You will always be able to upgrade when your components wear out. Since your frame will be made of chromoly steel, you'll have plenty of time to deliberate your next upgrade, whatever it may be. Acera comes standard on the Coda Sport and that beats the stuffing out of the Trek 7.1FX, sold anywhere.

The Jamis Sport is a tremendous bicycle! I can't quite sing its praises enough....

Try it out for yourself, before you attempt to buy anything else!

- Slim

PS.

When you buy steel, you're making an investment for the future!

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-11-11 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 11:43 PM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Oh boy, Though I have nothing against steal frame Bicycles All my Bicycles are aluminum or aluminum & carbon mix including my Specialized road bike. I have thousands of miles on my 7.2 & would hardly describe it as disposable.The only difference between steal & aluminum is the steal is more flexible & may offer a better ride.

To the OP yes the 7.3 is worth the $30 difference in price. My advice is buy as much bicycle as you can afford & test ride as many as you have interest in. There is no mystery as to why the FX series is such a popular bicycle. I was putting 50 miles a day on my 7.2 and it is just as good today as the day I bought it. Proper fit to the Bicycle is probably the most imprtant concern.

Welcome to the Hybrid forum

Last edited by Timber_8; 10-11-11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-11-11, 05:22 AM

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timber_8
To the OP yes the 7.3 is worth the $30 difference in price. [/IMG]
I agree with Charlie-the 7.3 is much nicer than a 7.1 FX and well worth the $30 difference. A few years back I took out a 7.2 and a 7.3 and could see a difference between those two models-even as a newbie. The FX is wildly popular and a nice ride. I doubt that you'd be disappointed with it.

That said, I also have to gush about my Jamis Coda Sport. That bike is a blast to ride! It's quick, comfortable on our less-than-perfect rural roads, and shifts smoothly.

I see that you are planning to use the bike at school, though. Maybe an inexpensive used bike would be a better choice for that purpose? A nice bike would be a certain target for theft on campus.
Old 10-11-11, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks!
By all means go the extra $30 for the 7.3 if it fits you. It has much better components than the 7.1 and is well worth that little difference. The retail price difference is over $200 for those two bikes.

Jim
Old 10-11-11, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode ~ 10 bikes before I decided to go with my 2012 7.2FX (including the 7.3FX). The 7.3 did feel a bit better and did come with better components/grips, but is a bit more expensive then I decided that I wanted to pay. If I would have found a '10 7.3FX for that price I would have bought it.
Old 10-11-11, 07:34 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey there RCamacho!

Since you're in college and college campuses are notorious for bike thefts, perhaps you should not make such a large investment into a potential liability, right now.

For a college campus bike that gets locked outside overnight, I would never purchase a new bike. I'd opt either for a $100-$250 CL bike, or I'd get a Walmart bike. The Denali, the Detain, or the Schwinn Varsity are fairly decent college campus bikes. Since, they're all aluminum bikes, you don't have to worry about them getting wet. Lock 'em up with U-locks and that's it! You don't have to worry about somebody stealing your $800-$1200 bike!

Walmart Specials for College
Mongoose: Detain ($200)....GMC: Denali ($160)...Schwinn: Varsity ($250)

- Slim

PS.

OTOH - There's this Novara E.T.A bike at REI for $550. It's chromoly steel and just a tad heavier than the Jamis Coda!

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-11-11 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 09:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions.
I'm pretty familiar with theft on college campuses (my Schwinn Varsity got stolen last year) but the bike will be kept inside my apartment at night so I'm not too worried about theft this time around. I agree, the Varsity was great for just riding to and from campus but I had tons of problems with it and would like to buy a bike with more quality this time around.

That being said, the bike will mainly be used for exercise and cross training. I'll mainly be riding it on roads but how much "off road" can these hybrid bikes really handle? I'm going to head back into my LBS to test ride them next week.
Old 10-11-11, 12:49 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions.
I'm pretty familiar with theft on college campuses (my Schwinn Varsity got stolen last year) but the bike will be kept inside my apartment at night so I'm not too worried about theft this time around. I agree, the Varsity was great for just riding to and from campus but I had tons of problems with it and would like to buy a bike with more quality this time around.

That being said, the bike will mainly be used for exercise and cross training. I'll mainly be riding it on roads but how much "off road" can these hybrid bikes really handle? I'm going to head back into my LBS to test ride them next week.
Hi there RCamacho!

Hybrids are great for paved roads and country dirt trails. You don't wanna go downhill on a rough MTN trail like you're at Whistler or something. Hybrids weren't made for a bunch of tree roots, rocks sticking up out the ground, and traversing crevices. All of that is MTB territory!

However, if the trail has an occasional root, a few twigs scattered about, and a rock or two, your hybrid won't mind that kind of terrain at all. That's its purpose! Actually, we're really talking tire width and tread here. Most hybrids tend to look more like road bikes, until you scope their handlebars and tires. When tires have wide widths and deeper tread, they're more capable of traversing the rough stuff. All MTN bikes have wide tires with deep or nobby tread.

Hybrids without front suspension, look more like road bikes. Hybrids with front suspension, look more like MTN bikes. Whatever the case maybe, being a hybrid, we all know, it's something in between!

- Slim

PS.

Thinner and smoother tires, means faster. Wider more treaded tires, means slower...

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-12-11 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-11-11, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely the 7.3 is worth that small price difference! You will notice it immediately if you ride them back to back. Don't worry about it being a '10, if it's new and just a leftover. Just make sure the fit is right. It's no bargain if it's the wrong size for you.
Old 10-13-11, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
would a free 7.1 be worth upgrading with new wheels/tires combo? Or would it be better to save that money and go for a 7.3? I wonder if improved wheels would be a more dramatic "feel" vs. the component upgrades one would get with a 7.3?
Old 10-14-11, 03:38 AM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would depend on if the 2010 7.3fx is used or not. If its used how well was it maintained? If its new absolutely go with the 7.3fx... I just bought one in July and love it.
Old 10-14-11, 09:57 PM

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go with 7.3 -- i have a 2011 7.3 and love it -- great bike.
Old 10-14-11, 10:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went by the bike shop and they were out of the 7.3 in my size. I went by another shop and checked out a cannondale quick 4 to compare but I think I'm going to go with the 7.1 fx. Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 10-14-11, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts

Thanks!
I bought my college-age daughter the 7.2. She is very happy with it.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-11, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
i guess my question is would a 7.1 with better wheels perform better than a stock 7.3 with it's higher level components?
Old 10-15-11, 09:33 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
i guess my question is would a 7.1 with better wheels perform better than a stock 7.3 with it's higher level components?

Hi there Side_FX!

AND THE ANSWER IS ______________NOPE!

The 7.3FX drive train components are primarily reponsible for pushing the wheels. If the wheels are true and are strong enough to support the mass that it's moving, then the ride feel and performance will be more or less equivalent. Of course, this is provided that the tires are somewhat similar. Of course, tire width and tread can detectably change the ride feel, but not significantly so.

- Slim
Old 10-15-11, 09:36 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went by the bike shop and they were out of the 7.3 in my size. I went by another shop and checked out a cannondale quick 4 to compare but I think I'm going to go with the 7.1 fx. Thanks for all the help guys!
If you're going to get an aluminum-framed bike anyway, you'd be better off at least waiting to get one with better components. The Trek 7.3FX is better than the 7.1FX...

- Slim
Old 10-16-11, 07:42 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2FX, 2014 Domane 2.3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? But of course it is, that's why it's more more expensive...duh! BTW, you comments about aluminum frames are getting a bit annoying....give it a rest, please.
Old 10-16-11, 08:16 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godeacs
Really? But of course it is, that's why it's more more expensive...duh! BTW, you comments about aluminum frames are getting a bit annoying....give it a rest, please.

What on earth do you mean?

I've said nothing untrue, have I?

If so, I'll recant, immediately!

I'm so sorry, if I've annoyed you!

- Slim

Last edited by SlimRider; 10-16-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 05:18 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2FX, 2014 Domane 2.3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
What on earth do you mean?

I've said nothing untrue, have I?

If so, I'll recant, immediately!

I'm so sorry, if I've annoyed you!

- Slim
No, you just stated the obvious. BTW, I'm not the only one you've "annoyed" with your spiel on steel frames.....for 95% of the population, an aluminum frame is going to last long enough...like a lifetime, maybe...

PS You're forgiven.....

Last edited by godeacs; 10-18-11 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-17-11, 05:48 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by godeacs
No, you just stated the obvious. BTW, I'm not the only one you've "annoyed" with your spiel on steel frames.....for 95% of the population, an aluminum frame is gpoing to last long enough...like a lifetime, maybe...

PS You're forgiven.....
Ah..The only problem there godeacs...

Is that for every one aluminum lifetimes, you get 1000 steel lifetimes!

Steel has an infinite fatigue life, whereas aluminum as a very short fatigue life. That's just a scientific fact!

Don't get me wrong here I like aluminum, too. I just think that we should stop paying high prices for aluminum. We should only pay for what we get and that's it. These bicycle companies need to stop gouging us!

I'm on your side, buddy!

- Slim