Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Finally got fitted on bike

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 09:10 PM
[IMG]https://i4.photobucke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After being a tight azz and one determined to fix my own things, I went against my rules and got a bike fitting. Reason, my shoulders, hands and lower back are killing me, especially after completing my first century.
I learned a lot, first thing is that my body resembles an ape, long torso and skinny short legs, the fitter used a better description though. He pointed out that the current specs kept me all scrunched up and it inflamed the aformentioned muscles. He dialed in my legs first, by adjusting my seat back and aligning my knees to the pedal shaft (balls of feet). Second adjustment dealt with cockpit, he put a 130mm stem on and placed upwards. He messed with my cleats a little but said they were ok, my eyeballs got that one right at least. Now I am in a more upright position but stretched out, more of my weight is supported by my buttocks instead of my hands and shoulders.
Hopefully this will give me more comfort.
After all these drastic adjustments I asked if the bike was the right size, yes it is. A 58cm jams up into my boys pretty good (actually have to tip-toe a little) even though my apelike torso would want it, 56cm is the right size he stated, just have to stretch it out.
Figure 30 miles tomorrow will give me an idea if it works, will report my findings.
Oh, just in case someone asks - couple mm under 6 ft tall, 225 weight
Old 10-12-11, 12:42 AM

Bikes: Cannondale CAD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to do the same, the mechanics are just too different than I'm able to figure out at this point - and that stings. I've always been able to tear down and perfectly rebuild everything i've ever owned (mom = not a fan of 2 stroke carburetor disassembly in the kitchen sink, BTW) but I just don't get it yet. I don't have the pains yet, but something just doesn't feel right so I'm going to break down and do it.

Just as soon as I live somewhere not called Japan. I can find a bathroom, but the nuances of expressing ideas is another ball of wax. Glad to hear it worked (being positive here) out for you.
Old 10-12-11, 01:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I hope it does work, my local shop has a cat 1 coach/fitter do all their fittings. He charges 99 for the pro fit (the one I got) and 189 for the whole computer set up, I have seen some basic fittings at 59 at other stores though. Dialing in a road bike is just not the same as my mountain bike, I needed help.
Old 10-12-11, 05:19 AM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Next time you shop for a bike, get a compact frame with a sloping top tube and size up. That should give you the extra torso length you want, while still letting your dachshund legs reach the ground when you're not in the saddle.
Old 10-12-11, 08:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to google compact frame, still learning, thanks for the advice. My bike, cannonadale caad10 seems to fit the description of a compact or I am confused, the top tube slopes up. Going for a good ride shortly, will find out how the new fit works with my body.
Old 10-12-11, 09:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took the bike out for a good ride and it was much more comfortable. My stem has not come in yet but he placed my 110mm in a better position, still feeling it in my shoulders but back is good. The one thing he told me to practice on is my posture (spelling), try to keep back straight while leaned over. My hands did not feel the pain as usual so the butt is taking more weight like its supposed to. I was worried about my boys hurting with the added weight on the saddle but they did good.
Old 10-13-11, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeepseahawk
Took the bike out for a good ride and it was much more comfortable. My stem has not come in yet but he placed my 110mm in a better position, still feeling it in my shoulders but back is good. The one thing he told me to practice on is my posture (spelling), try to keep back straight while leaned over. My hands did not feel the pain as usual so the butt is taking more weight like its supposed to. I was worried about my boys hurting with the added weight on the saddle but they did good.
Try to roll your hips forward that forces you to sit on your sits bones. This also forces your back to straighten.
Old 10-13-11, 11:47 AM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gunner65
Try to roll your hips forward that forces you to sit on your sits bones. This also forces your back to straighten.
Big +1 on this.

But you will need to work on your lower back and ab muscles. Try planks (google if you need to). After doing those (multiple sets, 3x a week, etc) for a few weeks, Add a few pushups to the start of your routine to help strengthen your upper back, shoulders, and arms.

Also... situps, ab crunches, etc...

Building core muscle strength will help your posture both on and off the bike. It'll help you ride longer with less pain. It's something that many cyclists neglect.
Old 10-13-11, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, that is exactly how the fitter explained it, roll hips forward. I am doing that now but have to train on it, bad habits sometimes take a little while to overcome. I did correct myself on that last ride because my lower back did not hurt at all.
Old 10-15-11, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
Big +1 on this.

But you will need to work on your lower back and ab muscles. Try planks (google if you need to). After doing those (multiple sets, 3x a week, etc) for a few weeks, Add a few pushups to the start of your routine to help strengthen your upper back, shoulders, and arms.

Also... situps, ab crunches, etc...

Building core muscle strength will help your posture both on and off the bike. It'll help you ride longer with less pain. It's something that many cyclists neglect.
Sounds like something I need to start doing. Thanks
Old 10-18-11, 06:17 PM

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Giant Trance 2, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2011 Schwinn LeTour Classic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really need to take my road warrior to a shop and get a pro level fitting. I am not really uncomfortable but I too am built like an ape with a long torso and bought a big frame for the top tube. I was going to get a Waterford or a Seven frame built and build off that but the funds...oh the funds... I am really curious if I got it close to what a pro fit would be and it is worth 100 bucks (or whatever) for me to find out.
Old 10-18-11, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I would love to get fitted on my bike as well. Funds are a problem, though. I also want clip less pedals and cleats, but again the funds...seems like a pattern.
Old 10-18-11, 11:13 PM

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jeepseahawk
Thanks, I hope it does work, my local shop has a cat 1 coach/fitter do all their fittings. He charges 99 for the pro fit (the one I got) and 189 for the whole computer set up, I have seen some basic fittings at 59 at other stores though. Dialing in a road bike is just not the same as my mountain bike, I needed help.
Which shop did the fitting?