Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake/derailer cabling question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 09:23 AM
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

If i set up my bike with a 90mm, and I change to a 110mm stem, will it affect my cabling at all? Like will I have to readjust and tune everything?
Old 10-17-11, 09:50 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
You won't need to adjust anything but do make sure your housing is long enough to accommodate the change. The housing should not be under tension around the head tube when turning the wheel as far it will go left and right. Also make sure your front brake housing isn't pulling so hard on your bar tape that it will cause it to unravel. Unless your housing was trimmed down to an exact minimum to begin with you should be ok though with just a 20mm change.
Old 10-17-11, 10:19 AM
Brown Bear, Sqrl Hunter

Bikes: CAAD 10 4, Dolan DF4, Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
You won't need to adjust anything but do make sure your housing is long enough to accommodate the change. The housing should not be under tension around the head tube when turning the wheel as far it will go left and right. Also make sure your front brake housing isn't pulling so hard on your bar tape that it will cause it to unravel. Unless your housing was trimmed down to an exact minimum to begin with you should be ok though with just a 20mm change.
Great, thanks! I'm doing the cabling tonight, so I'll just remember to leave 20mm of housing slack