Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Oil in spoke hole damaged tube?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-18-11, 06:58 AM
Inactive

Bikes: No bike now.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My bike has 26x1.95 tires inflated to about 40-50 lbs.
Last year I put in Velox cloth rim tapes, tire liners and new tubes and haven't had a flat until last week. I fixed the flat on the front and decided to take off the back tire just to inspect it.

It appears that oil or something dripped through one of the spoke holes, dissolved the adhesive on the tape, soaked through the tape and made a gooey bulging soft spot on the tube. I have never seen this happen with original equipment rubber rim tapes.

If I remove the Velox can I reinstall it or should I replace it with duct tape or something? I don't think I can clean it.
Old 10-18-11, 07:14 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
No, replace it with fresh Velox and don't use so much oil on the spoke nipples. A tiny drop applied very infrequently is all that is necessary and, if the spoke threads were properly prepared when the wheel was build, oil should never be needed.

If you used so much oil that it soaked through the Velox and damaged a butyl tube, you WAAAAY overdid it.
Old 10-18-11, 07:35 AM
Inactive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't oil the spokes. It probably slung off the chain or sprocket.
What is a good alternative rim tape? Will duct tape work or should I use medical type cloth tape?
I'm not driving 50 miles to the nearest bike shop for another Velox.
Old 10-18-11, 08:24 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by tc61
I didn't oil the spokes. It probably slung off the chain or sprocket.
What is a good alternative rim tape? Will duct tape work or should I use medical type cloth tape?
I'm not driving 50 miles to the nearest bike shop for another Velox.
That's a lot of oil to be dripping off the chain or cogs. I've never seen a rear wheel compromised that way.

Duct tape won't work and medical cloth tape probably isn't strong enough. Fiber reinforced "packing tape" or "strapping tape" is sometimes recommended and you should be able to find it at any hardware, office supply or home center. Usually it's wider than you need and has to be torn lengthwise to fit. How about an internet supplier for Velox which will save the drive to the LBS?
Old 10-18-11, 08:25 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
tc61: I prefer to use proper rim tape, my personal favorite is Continental Easy Tape, but medical cloth tape of filament-reinforced packing tape may work OK; the adhesive on either will make later removal problematic. I did a quick search and these guys https://store.icyclesusa.com/rim-stri...plugs-c79.aspx have quite a variety.
Old 10-18-11, 02:08 PM
Inactive

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I made made my own. I used 3 layers of cloth friction tape and 2 layers of vinyl electrical tape on top. That should last until I can get another real rim tape.