Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Fenders are officially the most awesome thing ever invented

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 10-20-11, 09:41 AM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Got my cheap Planet Bike fenders last night. I've been resisting for months because they add weight to what I feel is an already overloaded bike (nearing 60 pounds on my commuting setup), and they look kind of dorky.

Well it's the rainy season now, and damnit I'm sick of getting soaking wet even if it's not raining much. So I bit the bullet and ordered some cheap ones just to test them out. I Installed them on the bike, which was a bit more tricky than I initially anticipated. I actually had to remove the kickstand to fit the rear bracket over the chainstay bridge. Then of course trying to get the kickstand plate bolted back in was tricky because I could no longer fit a wrench into the area because there was now a fender in the way!

Another issue is that the drive-side chainstay braze-on screw was too long when fully screwed in. It ends up rubbing against the chain when it's in the smallest cog on the cassette. So I had to unscrew it a few millimeters to prevent the chain-rub. I need to stop by a hardware store and get some washers that will fit, because right now the rear support sort of rattles a lot because it's not fully screwed-in.

So today was a perfect day to test it out. It was pouring like mad all night long, and most of the early morning as well. The rain calmed down by the time I headed off to work though.

At first I cycled like I normally did, out of habit I avoided puddles, not really thinking about the fenders being there. Eventually I noticed a steady stream of water pouring off the inside of the front fender, despite the fact that the road didn't even seem to be that wet. This put a smile on my face.

I ended up coming across an unavoidable puddle however, and with my usual trepidation I went through it. My body tensed, expecting the usual splash of cold dirty road water along my shoes and shins... but I felt nothing! I was astonished!

A few more accidental puddle run-ins confirmed... these things are awesome!

By the time I reached the end of the trip, I was intentionally running into puddles just for the fun of it. It was amazing. Now, there were some really deep ones that even the fenders could not protect me from, but they definitely lessened the amount of water that reached me regardless.

My panniers were lightly muddy at the end of the trip as well, but nowhere near the typical amount of road grime was on them. When I got into work and changed out of my clothes, I didn't have any grime or grit on them like I usually do. Typically there's a large patch of road grit right up my back (which usually ends up smelling like bad fish within an hour of arriving at work as they dry out on my cube wall), but this time, nothing!

I have decided that Fenders are officially the most awesome thing ever invented. Except for bicycles of course. Honestly, from now on I'm getting them on all of my bikes. I can't wait to ride home in the rain!
Old 10-20-11, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a set of them at Campmor this past weekend, but haven't put them on the bike yet. I finally bit the bullet and got them after having to go into the grocery store last Friday with stripes up my back and front, just from a little drizzle.

I also got the planet bike ones - plastic with the little mudflaps ... they're surprisingly light.

A word of caution about puddles, though: It's still a good idea to avoid them - you don't know if there's a major pothole under there, and you could take a nasty tumble.
Old 10-20-11, 10:13 AM
Zeusmeatball

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Nomade Sprint, 1988 Specialized Rockhopper comp, 1991 Schwinn Crisscross, 2009 K2 Zed 3.2, 2011 Trek X-Caliber Gary Fisher collection

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mithrandir, have a picture of the bike with the fenders on it? I just got a down tube "crud catcher" for my mountain bike (I ride when its wet out too ) haven't had a chance to try it out in the wet yet though. Glad the fenders did what they were suppose to for ya
Old 10-20-11, 11:05 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Since moving to the PNW, I've had fenders on all but one of my bikes (the CX race bike doesn't get fenders).

- PB Freddy HCs on my old MTB commuter
- PB Cascadias with River City Bicycles Reacharounds on my Trek 400
- SKS P65s on my fat tire utility cruiser
- SKS P35, then P45, now Velo-Orange 42mm stainless on my Surly Cross Check

For the winter when the CX bike doubles as the snow/ice bike, I'll throw a crud board up front and a clip-on skunk stripe catcher in the back.
Old 10-20-11, 11:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Push
Mithrandir, have a picture of the bike with the fenders on it? I just got a down tube "crud catcher" for my mountain bike (I ride when its wet out too ) haven't had a chance to try it out in the wet yet though. Glad the fenders did what they were suppose to for ya
+1 I'm trying to figure out how you got it up to 60 lbs lol.
Old 10-20-11, 01:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wfournier
+1 I'm trying to figure out how you got it up to 60 lbs lol.

I'll take pics when I'm home.

The frame is a very heavy old Steel GT, that's the bulk of the weight. The wheels are both very heavy tandem 36h 26" wheels, double walled. Added Bar Ends, a rack, heavy tires, 2 cyclocomputers (love the garmin, but the GSC10 keeps getting knocked loose due to oddly-shaped chainstays, so I have a backup in case it gets knocked free and I don't notice), bell, mirror, front blinkie, rear blinkie, rear reflector, frame pump, 2 water bottles, and panniers.

Besides the wheels and the frame the panniers are the heaviest thing, as they carry: HEAVY U-lock, cable lock (for rear wheel since it's QR), 2 spare tubes, 3 levers, adjustable wrench, multi-tool, CO2 pump and 3 cartridges, spare chain, presta->schrader nozzle adapter, scrader->presta rim adapter, 3 tire boots, patch kit and glue, first aid kit (band aids, antibiotic, tylenol), glasses lens cleaners, paper towels, wallet, keys, work keycard, cell phone, pannier shoulder strap, a set of spare batteries for each blinky (one uses AA, other uses AAA... grrr), 2 spare spokes, lunch and extra "emergency" snack food. Occasionally I'll bring my work laptop, which brings the total to just about 60 pounds.

Yeah... quite a kit. But keep in mind I have absolutely no support out here. Everyone I know is outright hostile towards my cycling. Most of them have stated that they think cycling is stupid and shouldn't be allowed on roads, and a few of them have said that they know I'm going to get stranded somewhere and have no desire to help me when I do. So... I just come prepared for everything. It's easier than trying to find someone willing to help a cyclist in need, apparently. I don't ever want to find myself in a situation where I'm forced to walk 15 miles home again (happened 6 years ago, noone wanted to help, I gave up cycling for 6 years due to that).
Old 10-20-11, 02:16 PM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My commuter came with fenders.

My new bike doesn't yet have fenders installed on it, but I have some SKS Longboard P45's for it.

They're a pain to install. New style, you must cut the fender stays, so I put off the install. Also, the instructions are less than clear.

However, while writing this post, I found a youtube video by rivbikes that shows exactly how it's done.

I'll have these suckers installed before the weekend.

Old 10-20-11, 07:25 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alrighty! Here's the pics!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0788[1].jpg (98.2 KB, 53 views)
IMG_0787[1].jpg (97.9 KB, 66 views)
IMG_0789[1].jpg (100.5 KB, 45 views)
IMG_0790[1].jpg (99.1 KB, 41 views)
IMG_0793[1].jpg (94.2 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-20-11, 07:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually just added that FuelBox top-tube bag tonight. Previously my Incredibell was on the stem where it meets the headset, but I decided to move it up onto the left bar-end near my mirror.

Going to use the FuelBox to store my handkerchief on my commutes, my camera for sight-seeing trips, and food for long-distance trips.
Old 10-20-11, 07:35 PM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Welcome to the real world. Imagine, a bike being practical! LOL.

Seriously, good job. They do indeed help keep you much drier.
Old 10-20-11, 07:46 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Now the last thing to really splashproof your front end: Add a longflap to that front fender. Get some stair tread from the hardware store, bust out your drill and pop riveter (everyone should have these things, right?) and make a flap that flares at least an inch wider than the fender, and hangs to about 2" off the ground.
Old 10-20-11, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks good!

I have the same fenders - awesome for the price!

Old 10-21-11, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Gee, nice friends and associates you have, Mith.

+1 on the mudflap on the front, and put another on the rear (for aesthetic balance and to protect those other riders who might want to draft your ride!).

Be also aware that fenders won't do much to stop you getting wet when it's actually raining. But the fenders will do a lot to reduce drivetrain wear through the reduction of grit being thrown up from the puddles.
Old 10-21-11, 05:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, fenders are awesome, I put some SKS P50's on my LHT, along with a homemade front flap. Glad you are happy.
Old 10-21-11, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Yeah... quite a kit. But keep in mind I have absolutely no support out here. Everyone I know is outright hostile towards my cycling. Most of them have stated that they think cycling is stupid and shouldn't be allowed on roads, and a few of them have said that they know I'm going to get stranded somewhere and have no desire to help me when I do. So... I just come prepared for everything. It's easier than trying to find someone willing to help a cyclist in need, apparently. I don't ever want to find myself in a situation where I'm forced to walk 15 miles home again (happened 6 years ago, noone wanted to help, I gave up cycling for 6 years due to that).
Do the buses there have bike racks on them? The ones here do...our buses don't really go anywhere useful or in a timely manner, but worse case you could hop on a bus and get a few miles closer to home.
Old 10-21-11, 11:42 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The perfect addition to your new fenders is a set of new MUD FLAPS!

While some might think mud flaps are serious fred stuff they do keep the road crap off your feet and chain.

Look here for a selection of mud flaps..........
https://www.bikeworldusa.com/index.php/cPath/124_25_54

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 10-21-11, 11:48 AM
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the mudflaps.

If you wanna do it on the cheap, you can make cut-to-fit mudflaps from gallon milk containers.

Also: now that you've got those fenders, clean your drivetrain? Looks like you've got a lot of crud in there.
Old 10-21-11, 12:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Judi
Do the buses there have bike racks on them? The ones here do...our buses don't really go anywhere useful or in a timely manner, but worse case you could hop on a bus and get a few miles closer to home.
About 5 years ago the local bus authority NFTA announced plans to add bike racks. They ended up only getting about 1/2 of the busses outfitted before they cut funding and stopped. After my wheel crapped out on me 3 months ago I've been paying attention to the busses I pass on my commutes, and unfortunately it only seems like 1 out of every 8 busses or so actually has a bike rack. This is especially problematic for me, as only one bus makes it to where I live per day, and if it's not one of the 8, I'm out of luck. Next closest bus stop is 9 miles away :\
Old 10-21-11, 12:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
Also: now that you've got those fenders, clean your drivetrain? Looks like you've got a lot of crud in there.
Yup. I intend to. Just haven't had much free time. The chain started sounding a little noisy after yesterday so I've got to clean and grease it before my next ride, so I figure I'll attempt a drivetrain cleaning tomorrow.
Old 10-21-11, 12:56 PM
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have the same fenders and appreciate all the effort they put into keeping muddy, dirty (good grief, I don't even want to know what's in it) street puddles off my shoes and sandals.
Old 10-21-11, 01:32 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
+1 on the mudflaps.

If you wanna do it on the cheap, you can make cut-to-fit mudflaps from gallon milk containers.
I've seen people use old waterbottles, too.
There was a guy on one of the Seattle Rando rides who didn't have them, and we chump-rigged one from a Starbucks paper cup and a club ride lapel pin.
Old 10-21-11, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't like fenders. They introduce toe-clip issues. Once you get used to how a bike handles, this kind of change can be unsettling.
Old 10-21-11, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mith, I look at the pictures of your bike in what looks like might be your living room and think that you must not have a wife. But then I thought that if I lived alone I might end up with bikes in the living room too.
Old 10-21-11, 09:53 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Alrighty! Here's the pics!

I am in love with another man's bike. There, I said it......

Old 10-22-11, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Mith, I look at the pictures of your bike in what looks like might be your living room and think that you must not have a wife. But then I thought that if I lived alone I might end up with bikes in the living room too.
Hehehehe... I have a wife and my living/lounge room has four bikes in it, including a tandem! Plus assorted bike bits and apparel, trinkets and paintings. A fifth bike is in the adjacent spare room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.