Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Is a F250 pickup truck a deadly weapon?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A few days ago a guy steering a new F250 went by me at about 45mph, not moving over as a car was coming the other way. He was 6-8" from my hands as he sped by.
I yelled and waved my arm, he just laughed as he cut over the little that was left, very near me.

I consider that truck a deadly weapon at that moment, and I felt in danger of my life.
In Florida we can protect ourselves in any manor we see fit, even aid others.

I wonder how he'd feel if I exercised my rights just then.

I know this might stir a few things up, but I can't be the only one that feels this way at times. Am I wrong?
Old 10-22-11, 08:09 AM

Bikes: Roark Ti, Unidentified Ti bike, Trek 1.2, s/s, s/s mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment. In practice though, the threat has passed. Keep some nuts and bolts at hand. Throw one of them. When he stops and then threatens you, protect yourself.
Old 10-22-11, 08:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it'd be stupid to do anything, but would like to at times.
Old 10-22-11, 08:45 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Unless the motorist has to stop a short distance further down the road, at 45 mph not much good info can be gathered to report it to local authorities as an unsafe pass, and only having a newer Ford F250 as a description isn't going to cut it. If this type of scenario happens regularly, possibly change routes, ride further left if the average traffic speed is low, or opt for a video camera.

To report an unsafe pass will be a lot easier than trying to prove that an F250 was being used as a deadly weapon, and at least there will be a greater chance in that the motorist will be documented.

Last edited by dynodonn; 10-22-11 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-22-11, 08:45 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OKIE_55
I consider that truck a deadly weapon at that moment, and I felt in danger of my life.

If you are trying to go where I think you are going, I think the judge and jury might not look at it the same way you do
Old 10-22-11, 08:56 AM
Giant-Riding Ogre

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it'd be stupid to do anything, but would like to at times.
I had a feeling you knew that when you posted the first one.

In most places, in order to claim the defense of "self-defense" against charges that you used force or deadly force illegally, you've basically got to pass a "reasonable man" test. The jury will be asked to consider whether a hypothetical reasonable person, dropped into your shoes in the situation in which you used force to defend yourself, would have been in fear of death or grave bodily harm (for himself, or for another innocent.)
Part of that process will probably include discussion of whether what you did had any defensive value. If I'm wrong, forgive me, but in your OP, which I took to be maybe half-serious, maybe less, you seem to be referring to using deadly force against the driver, maybe a firearm? The question is, what does shooting at the driver of the truck do to defend you from the danger? A reasonable person would absolutely conclude that your life was endangered, but he'd be forced to conclude that shooting at the driver didn't do anything to make you safer--it would be seen (rightly, I think) as an expression of anger and an effort to take revenge on someone who had just wronged you. That's not self-defense.

Moondance . . . not helping!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Old 10-22-11, 08:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Con, not exactly, but just wondering if others have similar feelings at times.

We all know, with judges and juries, things don't always come out as we thought they would.
Old 10-22-11, 09:03 AM
con

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not exactly, but just wondering if others have similar feelings at times.

Impluse control, we learn it as we grow up. We all have feelings like that, we learn not to act on them......But, you know that already.

Folks in cars and trucks piss me off all time when I'm on my bike or motorcycle. There was a time I would let it eat at me for many many miles, now I just let it go and move on.
Old 10-22-11, 09:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don Gwinn

In most places, in order to claim the defense of "self-defense" against charges that you used force or deadly force illegally, you've basically got to pass a "reasonable man" test. The jury will be asked to consider whether a hypothetical reasonable person, dropped into your shoes in the situation in which you used force to defend yourself, would have been in fear of death or grave bodily harm (for himself, or for another innocent.)
Part of that process will probably include discussion of whether what you did had any defensive value. If I'm wrong, forgive me, but in your OP, which I took to be maybe half-serious, maybe less, you seem to be referring to using deadly force against the driver, maybe a firearm? The question is, what does shooting at the driver of the truck do to defend you from the danger? A reasonable person would absolutely conclude that your life was endangered, but he'd be forced to conclude that shooting at the driver didn't do anything to make you safer--it would be seen (rightly, I think) as an expression of anger and an effort to take revenge on someone who had just wronged you. That's not self-defense.

Very well put, I thank you very much.

I don't ride that road anymore, and I'm learning how to pick much safer routes.
Old 10-22-11, 09:13 AM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
To the OP, I had a similar thread up this last week "Near buzzes and the law" was inspired by a guy in a new hummer performing the same manuever.. only no on coming traffic. Report him, so at least he'll be known for that kind of driving, and then don't worry about it.
Old 10-22-11, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by con

.... There was a time I would let it eat at me for many many miles, now I just let it go and move on.
I've tried the let it go and move on method, but too many motorists kept throwing salt on my wound. I now have taken measures in making sure that the worst offending motorists, that I encounter, get reported to local authorities.

Old 10-22-11, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Roark Ti, Unidentified Ti bike, Trek 1.2, s/s, s/s mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do what I can!!
I think maybe I should invest in a two cameras, like the guy in PA https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/773977-Angry-Driver-Encounter-%28video%29
Then you have some proof/evidence. Or at least your next-of-kin does....
Old 10-22-11, 09:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I asked for words of wisdom from the good peeps here, and I'm getting them, thanks.

Looks like a helmet cam is on my Christmas wish list, it'll be there a while.
Man the list goes on, when does it stop.
Old 10-22-11, 10:49 AM
con

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man the list goes on, when does it stop.
bike want lists are fun
Old 10-22-11, 11:00 AM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We all know, with judges and juries, things don't always come out as we thought they would.
Rarely ever but, as we hope, where cyclists are concerned.

Last edited by Chris516; 10-22-11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-22-11, 11:32 AM
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Never mind retaliation. Go for prevention. In situations where you can't legally "take the lane", ride in a position that always leaves at least 2-3 feet of ride-able pavement to your right. Also get yourself whatever type of mirror that works best for you, and monitor overtaking traffic. Then, when you see one of these asshats is just about to breeze you, glide over into your buffer zone.* That 6 inch pass just became 2-3 feet. It works.

*don't move right too soon or the JAM may just move over too.
Old 10-22-11, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The F250 IS a deadly weapon. You could do exactly what the "King's men" do, in exactly the same situation, and still go to prison.
Old 10-22-11, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
How do you protect yourself from an F250? If you shoot the guy afterward, it's too late. It's not defense if it's already happened. It's only defense if you're attempting prevent it from happening. You can't shoot at everybody you think might pass closer than you are comfortable with.
Old 10-22-11, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Then, when you see one of these asshats is just about to breeze you, glide over into your buffer zone.* That 6 inch pass just became 2-3 feet. It works.
Working urban traffic makes it difficult to constantly monitor rear approaching traffic, and comes at the expense of monitoring forward cross traffic and parked vehicles. My last motorist didn't let his actions be known until the last few seconds while I was scanning an upcoming intersection.

Old 10-22-11, 04:56 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few days ago a guy steering a new F250 went by me at about 45mph, not moving over as a car was coming the other way. He was 6-8" from my hands as he sped by.
I yelled and waved my arm, he just laughed as he cut over the little that was left, very near me.

I know this might stir a few things up, but I can't be the only one that feels this way at times. Am I wrong?
I agree, but it depends on how you exercise those rights.
Old 10-22-11, 06:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stayed a free man this long, no asshat like that going to change that.
Old 10-22-11, 07:52 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Actually thanks to former Governor Jeb Bush who expanded the "castle doctrine." Here in Florida we are allowed to use deadly force to defend ourselves in our cars, on motorcycles, on bicycles, on our boats or while walking down the street. There are states such as NY that requires a person to if they can safely to leave the area before they are allowed to use deadly force.

To the OP, don't forget though that over in Tampa this past year that a man was arrested trying to use that defense for defending either his son or his girlfriends son from a "gang of bullies."
Old 10-22-11, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
How do you protect yourself from an F250? If you shoot the guy afterward, it's too late. It's not defense if it's already happened. It's only defense if you're attempting prevent it from happening. You can't shoot at everybody you think might pass closer than you are comfortable with.
Oh, now you tell me. Well, off to the old hideout.

It is seriously difficult to get law enforcement to accept that there are people out there who take joy in endangering cyclists. However, I am seeing more police departments starting bike patrols. If we can get those cops to ride without their uniforms a bit, then we might start to see some prosecutions. The bike cops that I have talked to in Eugene have told me they are afraid to ride without their uniforms.
Old 10-22-11, 08:34 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
The F250 IS a deadly weapon. You could do exactly what the "King's men" do, in exactly the same situation, and still go to prison.
This. I guarantee that if you got that close to a cop making a traffic stop with a truck going at speed, and got caught, the charge would be ADW, or at least some form of reckless endangerment. They won't bother with a traffic citation when they're the ones in danger.
Old 10-23-11, 07:36 AM

Bikes: Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reality check. Self defense is protecting yourself from immediate danger. By the time you "defended yourself" from this driver, the danger would be over. You'd go to jail.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.