Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

a weird thing happned while changing my seat position

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-04, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After playing with the seat on my bent (burley limbo) trying to get comfy and get rid of the crack between the seat and back I found something out. I tilted the seat up (before I had tilted the back to get this) and then got the back more towards vertical. Now here is the weird thing. I felt a bit cramped like that (maybe just not used to it?) so I checked the seat distance and it seemed right. Though my knees don’t straighten as much as I am used too. But get this since I got the bike my rpm’s were 10 lower then normal. Even after 15 years off a bike I was right at 80 when I got back on my road bike. But on the bent 70 felt like 80. I had a hard time getting it to 80 and I could not really keep it there.
Now I have been sick off and on since I had the bike so I thought it was that though it was not an issue on the road bike.
But here I am going 80 and it feels normal at that rpm. Plus I was going maybe 2mph faster then I had been slugging along.
I would work harder and not get as winded. Though lately I had only averaged 8.1 to 9.1 mph while sick. Today I got 9.1 but I also went ½ mile longer and that was up hill mostly. And I was dragging an empty trailer behind me. So I guess I was doing better. Plus I wore myself out and slowed down the last part of the ride.
I may try putting the seat back a bit more and see. Maybe tilt it just a bit too. But it was dark and I did not want to mess with it then.
Old 12-05-04, 07:25 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
If you tilted the seat up (less recline) then you will probably have to slide the seat back further to get the correct seat-to-pedal distance. It's because your hip socket isn't right at the corner of the seat, and moving the seatback UP moves your hip's pivot point forward.
Old 12-06-04, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the seat is about the same as it was with the back in a more reclined position. Or pretty close. But I had planned on letting it back a bit and see if it all still works well. I get to haul a bunch of boxes tomorrow so I can’t give it a accurate test.