Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Unknown/Untested tire saves bacon

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 03:03 PM
Fail Boat crewman

Bikes: Reynolds 853 Jamis Quest 1990s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased a set of Vredestien Fortezza SE (Performance house tire) and was leery of the longevity/toughness of the tire.

Well that has been laid to rest this morning. Darn whippersnappers broke a glass bottle on the road and green glass does not glint very well in shadow. Next thing I hear is the sound of glass crunching and a grind coming from my tire.

I pull off and found a darn near 1/4" square piece of bottle glass lodged in the tire and stopped at the cords. It cut the carcass, but not the tube. Hopefully there isn't a micropuncture causing my tire to flat as we speak.

At this point I am very happy with the tires and at $40 a piece. I don't feel bad having to replace them.
Old 10-31-11, 03:15 PM
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Several years ago I bought some semi-knobby tires for $3 each at a bike swap in Tucson. One is a Swiss Army tire (?) and the other is some no name cheapo tire. Threw them on the commuter bike and figured I'd get at least a season out of them for $6. They are still on that bike, 5 years later, slime in them, hardly ever a flat. I ride 'em right through vast fields of gravel and broken glass.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR