Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Back in the saddle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Back in the saddle

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 08:04 AM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Back in the saddle

I just purchased my first road bike since 1975 and really enjoying it.

About 18 months ago my doctor told me to loose weight and eat better or i'll have some serious medical issues in a few years. So I stopped drinking soda and put on a pair of sneakers and started to walk. Walking turned into running and I needed to cross train so my son told me to use his old mountain bike. I quickly lost 35lbs and got my blood number in the healthy range.

My running progressed but I was never able to increase my bike performance, the bike was holding me back. So I went to a local bike store and tried a road bike... i loved it. Then i got on a carbon bike and I was hooked. After a few weeks I narrowed it down to 3 bikes. My son works part time at a bike store where he goes to college and was able to get me a great deal on a Trek Madone 4.6.

I immediately doubled my distance from 10 miles on the mountain bike to 20 miles on the road bike. After a week I went on my first group ride for 42 miles. I was able to finish but some of the rolling hills at the end were killers.

With the weather getting colder I'll have to see how long i can continue on long rides. But I plan on riding, when the weather permits, and will still use the mountain bike when road condition are not optimal for the road bike.

I look forward to learning a lot here from people in my age group (55) about the aches and pains of getting "back in the saddle".
Old 11-03-11, 08:09 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I just purchased my first road bike since 1975 and really enjoying it.

About 18 months ago my doctor told me to loose weight and eat better or i'll have some serious medical issues in a few years. So I stopped drinking soda and put on a pair of sneakers and started to walk. Walking turned into running and I needed to cross train so my son told me to use his old mountain bike. I quickly lost 35lbs and got my blood number in the healthy range.

My running progressed but I was never able to increase my bike performance, the bike was holding me back. So I went to a local bike store and tried a road bike... i loved it. Then i got on a carbon bike and I was hooked. After a few weeks I narrowed it down to 3 bikes. My son works part time at a bike store where he goes to college and was able to get me a great deal on a Trek Madone 4.6.

I immediately doubled my distance from 10 miles on the mountain bike to 20 miles on the road bike. After a week I went on my first group ride for 42 miles. I was able to finish but some of the rolling hills at the end were killers.

With the weather getting colder I'll have to see how long i can continue on long rides. But I plan on riding, when the weather permits, and will still use the mountain bike when road condition are not optimal for the road bike.

I look forward to learning a lot here from people in my age group (55) about the aches and pains of getting "back in the saddle".
Welcome.

Congratulations on getting back in the groove.

You are not old - I don't know about the "slow."

I will try to not give you any advice, as I am approaching 72, and you are only 55, and I am not on your age group. And, I am not "old" either.

Anyway, have fun in the forum.
Old 11-03-11, 08:10 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Welcome back...rolling hills are killers for most riders.

Old 11-03-11, 08:17 AM
On Your Left

It seems most of the people i've run into so far are much younger. But that's probably due to my 21 year old son who's a triathlete and the people he associates with are in their late 30s and younger. The team he trains with has some older members and they use him as the rabbit to drag them up the hills.

I made the mistake of going out with a group of "A" riders. While i was able to keep up with them I was shot for a day or two after. I need to find a "B" group and work my way up.

The good news is i've been around high end bikes for a number of years, due to my son, and really like their performance. The bad news is the cost of them.
Old 11-03-11, 09:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the old-timers board. I'm 55 also but not for much longer and have only been riding for about 2 months now and I've only been 25 miles so far, so I think you are ahead of me a little. There is a lot of good advice on here so stick around and maybe some of the old-timers can help you out some.
Old 11-03-11, 11:14 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No aches?-No pain? and you ask us what the probems are going to be?

Only one problem I can see and that is on your 40 mile ride you did not stop for Pie. If you had you would have done 60 miles with the extra energy and to lose the calories gained.

Welcome.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-03-11, 11:59 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love rollers myself. Maybe I'm nuts? But after 40 miles they do lose their 'shine' a bit
Old 11-03-11, 12:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2

The good news is i've been around high end bikes for a number of years, due to my son, and really like their performance. The bad news is the cost of them.
It's not about the bike, to coin a phrase...

But the Madone is a nice bike. Have fun with it. You'll find that further is easier than faster. If you want to get fit fast, ride at an effort level that is just a fraction higher than you find comfortable.
Old 11-03-11, 01:41 PM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by stapfam
Only one problem I can see and that is on your 40 mile ride you did not stop for Pie.
Actually the turn around point was a excellent bakery where some went in for coffee and a pastry. I stayed outside and enjoyed some water and a granola bar.

I really like the bike. I was looking at the Specialized Roubaix, Cervelo RS and the Trek Madone 4. Both the Specialized and Cervelo had Sram Rival while the Trek has Shimano 105. I emailed Trek asking if they offered the Madone 4 with Sram and was told I would need to get a Madone 5 if I wanted Sram. then a few days later my son told me that he received a new Trek catalog that listed the 4.6 with Sram Rival. That was the decision maker since the discount I was able to get on the Trek brought it down to a aluminum bike price.

I really love the double tap shifters, they are lightning fast and smooth as silk.

Here's the bike.
Old 11-03-11, 01:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not much not to like about a Madone. Everyone I've seen have been great-looking bikes.
Old 11-03-11, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
The bike is saweet.
Old 11-03-11, 05:06 PM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
The bike is saweet.
Thanks, i'm very happy with it. I still have all 3 spacers under the stem and in the spring i'll flip the head and maybe remove one spacer. My son did a "quick fit" since i'm not used to a road bike, but int he Spring i'll get a "Pro fit" to get it dialed in and more aggressive.

I just put together a tool kit comprising of a Topeak Hexus II, spare tube and 2 CO@ cartridges.
Old 11-08-11, 05:31 PM
On Your Left

Well.. the bike is finally done.

I added (2) bottle cages, replaced the white hood covers with black ones (they got dirty way too quickly), an under seat bag loaded with a multi tool, CO2 and spare tube, new pedals (I can give my son back his that i borrowed) and a new and safer helmet.

It's been 3 weeks and about 300 miles and i'm still loving it. In the Spring i'll finally get a computer so i can better track my rides.
Old 11-09-11, 04:31 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Great stuff. You've just made a change that will enhance and probably lengthen your life. Now get the book "Younger Next Year." Ten years ago I was 55 and now I'm somewhere around 40.
Old 11-09-11, 05:26 AM
On Your Left

Originally Posted by bruce19
Now get the book "Younger Next Year." Ten years ago I was 55 and now I'm somewhere around 40.
I love that.

18 months ago I was 35 pounds heavier and couldn't run 100 yards. Now I can run a 5k in 30 minutes and bike 50 miles.