Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't know where this will go, but.....

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't know where this will go, but.....

Old 11-08-11, 06:29 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay....

I don't do a lot of housework; my sister's family lives with me, and part of her & her husband's 'training' of the kids is to have them do chores, i.e., clean the house daily. There are areas I do exclusively, but they don't get done daily, they're not 'common areas', which are the focus of the training. I don't feel a bit bad about that, because my house wouldn't NEED near as much cleaning if I was there alone!

It has caused some friction in the past, but I believe my 'housemates' have come to accept that it IS MY HOUSE.

I honestly believe that, at the end of this decade, it will be (at most), my sister and me in the house. The youngest one is about to be 9, and (sorry to say) I don't believe his dad will see much beyond his graduation. All the other kids will be LONG gone, and my sister may decide she doesn't want to live under the same roof with me. I'll MISS her (smartest & funniest woman I know), but I will live.

What I will not do is give up the bike. When I can no longer throw a leg over it, THEN it's time to retire it (and me!).
Old 11-08-11, 06:51 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Okay....

What I will not do is give up the bike. When I can no longer throw a leg over it, THEN it's time to retire it (and me!).

Not me, if I can't ride the Road bike I plan on getting a recumbent Cat-Trike.
Old 11-08-11, 09:31 PM

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradtx
raydog, Any optional life activity when taken to the extreme is mentally and/or emotionally unhealthy in my opinion. Cycling has been a passion of mine since I first learned to ride, but it has it's own time and place in my life. Yes, I've given up a day of riding to mow my yard.

Brad
I think I agree with you however "optional life activity" to describe bicycling seems so clinical and Spocklike. Besides, my endurance, blood pressure, joint health, strength, longevity and yes, sense of self-fulfillment is so connected to bicycling for me, it is loosing the "optional" tag.
Old 11-09-11, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
People have alot to learn from the animals,prepare for the worst,live in the now....The person you think you are now,wasn't there before and won't be here later.

Last edited by Booger1; 11-09-11 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-09-11, 01:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
People have alot to learn from the animals,prepare for the worst,live in the now....The person you think you are now,wasn't there before and won't be here later.
i agree partly because we can learn alot from animals(technology wise and social) but not so much for that prepare nor live in the now part.
and optional life activity perfectly describes a job. dont need a job but having one sure makes things easier. could live totally off the land though thatll require work which is similar but different than a job
sadly i enjoy too many modern amenities(god i love ac when its over 110 out ) to go that route
Old 11-09-11, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I don't think I'll be on my deathbed wishing I'd mowed the lawn more regularly. I figure if I enjoy doing it, and I'm not hurting anyone, then why not go for it, and if that means the closet is messy, so what?
This, exactly. My husband likes to spend his time in the saddle or in the garage working on his bikes, I like to spend mine knitting or sewing. Either way that it goes, I highly doubt that I'll regret not keeping a spic and span house during my life.

It's all about priorities. Everyone has different ones, obviously. As long as you aren't neglecting the things that are truly important to you (or obligations), then spend your time doing what you love.
Old 11-09-11, 02:12 PM
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It doesn't matter whether your obsession is bicycling, motorcycles, prostitutes(?!), fast cars, gardening, or alcohol.

Yeh, except that most of these can kill you a lot faster than cycling. You need to get older to realize this.
Old 11-09-11, 02:23 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
I don't do things to "make the wife happy" but do the things that make her and the two of us happy... sometimes have to remind her that it is okay to slack off a little and take a needed break and go for a bike ride.

If life gets so busy and complicated that you cannot give yourself that bit of me time every day then something is wrong.

My wife knows that cycling is a major part of our life and for health reasons I need to ride daily whether I like it or not... but this helps me take care of those things on the "to do" list which always has my wife's name at the top.

Old 11-09-11, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get home at 3PM, got time to ride, do a few select chores.. I am French, we dont do much housework...just got home, its like 65 out there, Upstate NY, nuts, I should be out there right now!
Old 11-11-11, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We all have different objectives and standards....as long as I can be what I think is a good Dad, Husband and homeowner, and get in 150 miles weekly, my life works and I'm happy!