Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 09:28 PM

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need your help.

Hi I am 23. started riding in March. In the middle of the riding season I had to go to the doctor because of pain when i would urinate, discharge, and frequency. They gave me an antibiotic and it seemed to clear right up.

Now this week it came back but I caught it sooner. So the doctor told me it was prostatitis from riding my bike. I was given another round of antibiotics.

I am considering a new seat. I have a $40 Serfas gel seat now. I am wondering what seat I should consider or what else could be done to prevent this from happening again?

sorry if this is in the wrong section

thanks for any help

Zach
Old 11-09-11, 09:34 PM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Hi I am 23. started riding in March. In the middle of the riding season I had to go to the doctor because of pain when i would urinate, discharge, and frequency. They gave me an antibiotic and it seemed to clear right up.

Now this week it came back but I caught it sooner. So the doctor told me it was prostatitis from riding my bike. I was given another round of antibiotics.

I am considering a new seat. I have a $40 Serfas gel seat now. I am wondering what seat I should consider or what else could be done to prevent this from happening again?

sorry if this is in the wrong section

thanks for any help

Zach
Brooks.. Soft doesn't necessarily translate to good for you.. Your bum is designed for sitting on the ground, rocks, and logs therefore a hard sprung saddle will be more comfortable..
Old 11-09-11, 09:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. I bought the seat I have now just cus it was on sale. I realize that it was probably a bad choice and i am pretty clueless at what to look for with the problems I have
Old 11-09-11, 10:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
might want to read this. https://www.prostatitis.org/bikeprostate.html
Old 11-10-11, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I don't have the problem but what your doctor is saying sounds off to me. Antibiotics are generally prescribed to kill bacteria if you have a bacterial infection. Perhaps riding the bike is aggravating a bacterial infection, but I don't see how it could be the source of it.
Old 11-10-11, 01:31 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Must be from all those chicks you get by riding a bike.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-10-11, 06:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Must be from all those chicks you get by riding a bike.
maybe

i have been with the same girl for 5 years now. she got checked out once i stated having trouble and she was all good

idk guys i am just going by what the doctor is telling me. I am pretty clueless on what the cause is and was just starting with the bike cus it is pretty much all i do besides work, eat, sleep.

thanks for the replys tho.
Old 11-10-11, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if the antibiotics help then its not from riding your bike. unless youre riding without a seat and like the military used to be...not gonna ask so dont tell
edit: try lowering the front of your seat so its pointing down?
Old 11-10-11, 08:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pg13
if the antibiotics help then its not from riding your bike. unless youre riding without a seat and like the military used to be...not gonna ask so dont tell
edit: try lowering the front of your seat so its pointing down?
i dont know if my seat post has any adjustment. just the rail on the seat. i will check tho. thanks
Old 11-11-11, 08:10 PM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
VEry few saddles cannot be adjusted... I have only ever seen a few and they were all department stor kids bikes.

However, tilting the saddle nose-down is probably not the answer - this will result in pressure on your hands as you will have to brace yourself to keep from sliding forward. If it is a saddle problem then a different shape of saddle - set perfectly level - is more likely the answer.

I also question the doctor who tells you that your bike seat is the problem then prescribes antibiotics... that's gonna be some damn strong antibiotics to dissolve your bike seat. Over the past few years, improperly prescribing antibiotics has been identified as a serious threat to public health. Often doctors would prescribe them just so patients would feel like they were getting something, when in actuality there was nothing the doctor could do to help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_misuse
Old 11-11-11, 08:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
VEry few saddles cannot be adjusted... I have only ever seen a few and they were all department stor kids bikes.

However, tilting the saddle nose-down is probably not the answer - this will result in pressure on your hands as you will have to brace yourself to keep from sliding forward. If it is a saddle problem then a different shape of saddle - set perfectly level - is more likely the answer.

I also question the doctor who tells you that your bike seat is the problem then prescribes antibiotics... that's gonna be some damn strong antibiotics to dissolve your bike seat. Over the past few years, improperly prescribing antibiotics has been identified as a serious threat to public health. Often doctors would prescribe them just so patients would feel like they were getting something, when in actuality there was nothing the doctor could do to help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_misuse
thanks.
On most bikes the adjustment i am looking for is on the seat post correct? all mine has is the rail for the seat. keep in mine i have a pretty cheap bike ($400) so maybe that was one way of keeping the cost down.

it will be no problem to get another seat post and seat if that will help but from most of the stuff i am hearing i might need to get a second opinion.
once i get fully recovered from getting my wisdom teeth out today i think i am going to try another doctor. then maybe i will get a few answers.
Old 11-11-11, 09:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to adjust the angle you use the round headset. where the bolt is, just loosen it up and you can adjust that up or down then retighten. is your seat pointed up at all or flat?
Old 11-11-11, 09:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it is flat now. i will try some adjustment tomorrow then
Old 11-12-11, 07:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh and if you only adjust it a little down you wont slide forward. plus i just checked my new seat and it appears the nose is is actually a little higher than the rear. i have a wierd seat post that cant alter the angle. if you notice even though my bikes upright and its a flat rail the front is a bit higher but it feels fine.

edit: sorry but the seat shot was a little to high so its harder to see but its there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0399.jpg (94.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg
100_0401.jpg (91.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-14-11, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got mine adjusted at a slight angle now. Hopefully i will be able to try it out tomorrow. i havent rode in 5-6 days on my trainer.
Old 11-14-11, 06:10 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
o i have a wierd seat post that cant alter the angle.
The seatpost in the picture does have angle adjust. There is a 6mm allen-head bolt under the seat. Loosen that bolt off and tap the nose or rear of the saddle and it should move. It is likely very coarse adjustments, though, so it might take a few adjustments/re-tightenings to get it exactly how you want it.
Old 11-14-11, 06:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes Ive undone that bolt. All it does is attach the seat to the post. It doesnt move but when I go to fix my flat Ill check it again just to be sure.
Old 11-14-11, 06:28 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yes Ive undone that bolt. All it does is attach the seat to the post. It doesnt move but when I go to fix my flat Ill check it again just to be sure.
I am 100% sure you can adjust angle with that post.
Old 11-19-11, 04:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i went to the bike shop finally today. i ended up with a new seat and i will start there. good thing is i have 90 days to try it out

it is a serfas male RX seat
https://www.sunandski.com/Serfas_Rx_S...=7765064559904
Old 11-19-11, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only remedi for prostititis are antibiotics, if that dont work prostrate massage, I have suffered from that for Years, however not the past 5 Years, so I think I will get a seat without horn, I had a MTB while suffering, added this seat. Worked.
https://www.bicycleseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

right now I have a regular Hybrid seat, no issues. But I am looking at a road bike, so I am not sure what I am going to do...
Old 11-20-11, 12:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pistard
The only remedi for prostititis are antibiotics, if that dont work prostrate massage, I have suffered from that for Years, however not the past 5 Years, so I think I will get a seat without horn, I had a MTB while suffering, added this seat. Worked.
https://www.bicycleseats.org/easyseat-bicycle-seat.htm

right now I have a regular Hybrid seat, no issues. But I am looking at a road bike, so I am not sure what I am going to do...
thanks for the reply. glad someone that suffers from it could chime in. does my situation sound consistent with what you have experienced?