Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ever heard of Roma Sport bikes?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-07-04, 03:00 PM
Chronic Tai Shan

Bikes: Pake Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
My wife and I picked up a Roma Sport Montecarlo cruiser-type Italian bike from a local co-op. I attached a few pictures of it. Has anyone heard of Roma Sport? The only thing I could find on the web is an old men's cruiser posted at bike cult: <li><a href="https://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/04bicycles/romasportCRAB.html">Roma Sport</a></li>

The decal on it says that it was made in Milan. It is geared at 32x20, perfect for her. It has 24x1.75 tires, which were from Holland before I changed them out (rubber was shot). All of the racks, fenders seat, and lights appear to be originals. The grips look like they have been replaced.

The paint (really looks like more of a translucent coating) rubs off if you try to clean it with a wet rag. I have used only light wiping since then.

Any info would be appreciated, especially about the coating process possibly used.
Old 12-07-04, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Roma Sport were made in Milan. The company was part of the Teodoro Carnielli group of bicycle companies. Carnielli are perhaps now best known for the Bottecchia brand of bikes, but it should also be pointed out that they 'created' a whole class of bikes that in many ways saved the Italian bicycle industry: namely the folding bikes of the early 60's
Old 12-07-04, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
The photo that I included above is of a metal advertising sign that I was offered a while back by an Italian shop owner who was closing up his shop upon reaching his 70th birthday. The shop had been in business for more than 50 years and the owner had a whole selection of these signs that he offered to me. Beyond the Roma Sport sign, he also had enamel ones from Bianchi, Legnano... Neat items!
Old 10-10-08, 11:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roma Sport Montecarlo

Hi. I saw a posting for an old Roma Sport Montecarlo from 2004. I just came across one that says Cicli on it and has a serial number of 6703 on the post. Does anyone know anything about these bikes in terms of where they are today? Am I holding onto one of the only ones in the US? I have a Jagdhorn men's cruiser from Germany and seem to have the same situation with that one. Very cool but I'd love to learn more about these seemingly rare bikes. Thanks!
Old 11-01-09, 12:31 AM
onetimer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember

A "Roma Sport" was my first "Good" bike. I can recall (hear) both of my parents constantly reminding me of that ..."That bike wasn't cheap"...so of course, someone stole it. But she was beautiful. I wanted a Schwinn 'Sting Ray'.. so when this one found it's way under the X-Mas tree, I thought it was a big bicycle. Royal Blue with chrome fenders, it had a rear wheel brake and was a single speed that was geared around 7 ( on a 10 speed scale)...it was slow out of the box but would just kick butt once you got up a head of steam....This was maybe 1964-65. I might have a photo somewhere...
Old 10-26-13, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
had a base model Roma Sport tenspeed come through that looked to be about 1964. nice brass headplate she had. also visiting for a time was a nearly identical machine badged as Milano Sport. if Teodoro Carnielli was the manufacturer of these perhaps they had several badges for them...