Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

OTR truck driving and losing weight/execising

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-11, 04:16 PM

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the past few months, i have experienced some set backs and pretty much quite riding. I also had to change my diet from a pescotarian based to no soy or fish. So it was back to eating meat. About a month later after the diet change, i quit my job moved to another house and started driving and hauling hay from louisiana/mississippi to Texas. I would be gone between 4-6 days a week and some times longer. Now I am suppose to be hauling sand from Texas up to North Dakota and hauling grain back. That means 3-4 weeks on the road at a time before i get to come home.
What are some ways to get exercise while on the road for extended periods of time and how to resist the temptation of running getting fast food if im in a hurry to get back on the road. Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-11, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have you ever tried exercise bands? I live half the year in a motorhome and I am starting to learn to use exercise bands and a few small weights. There are a number of websites and dvds with instructions. The tougher part may be trying to figure out a way to do cardio work.

For food, what are your storage options?

Here is an interesting article about how one trucker does it, with some interesting links: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/he...pagewanted=all

Last edited by goldfinch; 11-26-11 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-26-11, 05:14 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you motel it, or stay in your rig at night? If you motel it, most have some sort of exercise room with a treadmill, or bike, or elliptical, or some combination. My routine is to try to get an hour of that in every night before I eat dinner, or in the morning before breakfast.

I used to figure on 3 pounds or more gained per week. I have changed my way of looking at it - my goal now is to lose weight on road trips. I do protein shakes for breakfast, eat a moderate sit-down restaurant lunch, and usually look for a Cracker Barrel or similar restaurant and have a something like grilled catfish and veggies. No salad, no bread, no dessert, no beer. I eat a tremendous amount of fish when I travel - usually CB (they usually have parking for bigger rigs), Ruby Tuesday, TGIF's, etc, have the grilled fish or meat meals. Has been working the last several months.
Old 11-26-11, 05:37 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,062 Times in 1,080 Posts
Nutrition wise, these look useful

https://www.ehow.com/way_5615074_good...k-drivers.html
https://www.lifeasatrucker.com/a-good-diet-plan.html
Old 11-26-11, 05:40 PM

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the time im staying in the truck. The issue that I find when I pick up hay, is the lack of places to eat when I ampicking up loads from the smaller towns. Most places have a McDonalds or subway (which gets old quick) that you can get the truck into and out of. Then there are the truckstops, which is great tasting food, but very unhealthy.

The truck that ill be driving hauling sand is a KW T600 aerocab with a 72" sleeper. I am looking for a refridgerator that will run off of 12v that maybe i can keep some food in the truck. I would ultimately would like to cook a little in the truck but ill have to figure out how to do that.
Old 11-26-11, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I've noticed a few semis on the highway that had an occupied bike rack behind the cab. That would let you get in some exercise and explore new areas in any off-time along your route. A bike would also let you expand your choice of restaurants beyond those that have good truck access.
Old 11-26-11, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
a bike on the truck would be awesome.
Old 11-26-11, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the Training/Nutrition forum for ideas, but I'd suggest packing lots of snack options so you can have more but smaller meals. Find ways to increase the nutrient density, and start drinking more than enough water to occupy the space that your meals used to take. You can do it with some careful preplanning.
Old 11-27-11, 06:52 AM

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand the need to move Hay.

Doesn't North Dakota have any sand????

Other than that.... Full Size Folder. Tucked into someplace. I recently did a cross country trip -- Took a 30-40 mile ride daily. It was warmer than N.D. will be in January.
Old 11-27-11, 05:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are quite a few different types of sand and different uses too. How about a hotplate you can plug in? Or maybe a multi-use deep fryer? One I have I can go from deep frying to boiling to baking pretty much like a stove.
Old 11-27-11, 10:22 PM

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, tough equation. I think if there were a way to have a bike you could tote it would be good. Food-wise, it won't be easy - no disguising that at all. My approach is to avoid carbs like the plague, which still means you get 50g or so each day. I try to emphasize lean meat, dairy, etc., and avoid bread unless it is honest to goodness whole grain. Gonna be a challenge, but it CAN be done - more power to ya!
Old 11-27-11, 10:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Nav 2.0; Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my later years of trucking I carried a 12v cooler available from wallyworld or most trucks tops. Before leaving I'd stock up on yogurt, dried fruit, fruit juice (not sugary fruit drinks), nuts, apples etc. Even driving local I'd take a small cooler with blue ice and some of the above. I never looked for a space up next to a truckstop but went to the back. I had a weakness for breakfast buffets ocassionally. Otherwise I'd be " perfect " )