Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Suprised Doctors

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Suprised Doctors

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 06:25 AM
The Iceman cometh!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, I found out biking does have it's health advantages. I went for my semi - annual Cardiologist appointment and surprised the hell out of the Doctor and the Nurse Practitioner.

I was last there in April and they both throw a pretty good scare into me about my pressure and other things. As you may recall from prior posts all over this Forum I've been on heart meds for some 15 years, have extreme high blood pressure, am over weight and take three meds and and aspirin daily. Yesterday, was the first time I've seen the doctor since I took up biking seriously in late May. The results so far are, I've lost 8 pounds, not a lot but a begining. My pressure after an 8 1/2 hour stressful workday was 124/84 in the left arm and 114/84 in the right arm, that's the lowest it's been in years. While he was not ready to make any med changes he did say if I keep it up and the next visit is as good he will stop one of the meds.

They where both impressed and we discussed biking at length. Turns out the NP's father-in law is a biker and recently completed a run from Atlanta to Phoenix.

All I can say to everyone is, yesterday I learned for myself what alot of others already know, cycling is not only a great and fun way to excerise but is also healthy.

Last edited by Bop Bop; 12-08-04 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 06:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good for you!
Joe
Old 12-08-04, 06:57 AM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeprim
good for you!
Joe
Literally. Glad to hear it was for ya!
Old 12-08-04, 07:23 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My pressure after an 8 1/2 hour stressful workday was 124/24
I'm surprised that you could even stand up.

But congrats!
Old 12-08-04, 09:48 AM
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bop Bop
Yesterday, I found out biking does have it's health advantages. I went for my semi - annual Cardiologist appointment and surprised the hell out of the Doctor and the Nurse Practitioner.

I was last there in April and they both throw a pretty good scare into me about my pressure and other things. As you may recall from prior posts all over this Forum I've been on heart meds for some 15 years, have extreme high blood pressure, am over weight and take three meds and and aspirin daily. Yesterday, was the first time I've seen the doctor since I took up biking seriously in late May. The results so far are, I've lost 8 pounds, not a lot but a begining. My pressure after an 8 1/2 hour stressful workday was 124/24 in the left arm and 114/84 in the right arm, that's the lowest it's been in years. While he was not ready to make any med changes he did say if I keep it up and the next visit is as good he will stop one of the meds.

They where both impressed and we discussed biking at length. Turns out the NP's father-in law is a biker and recently completed a run from Atlanta to Phoenix.

All I can say to everyone is, yesterday I learned for myself what alot of others already know, cycling is not only a great and fun way to excerise but is also healthy.
I have been riding all my life more or less and I am convinced that when I got off the bike for 4 years, having taken a job that had me working 14-15 hours a day, had EVERYTHING to do with my heart health going to pot, along with the stress that job put on me. Furthermore, my wife tells me that since I have gotten back on the bike I have made more progress faster than I did with any of the three heart surgeries I have had.

My cardiologist told me I lost circulation in an artery when I was about 40 but I was riding competitively at the time, and although I did notice a definite drop off in my performance (it seemed like it took me a lot longer to get fit that season after a winter layoff) I eventually felt better, even if I was not as competitive.

The reason is that while I was riding, new arteries formed around the clogged one, creating a natural bypass. This is called "collateral circulation" and it will often be the only circulation some heart patients will have.

So to me, the phrase "Ride to Live, Live to Ride" has special significance.
Old 12-08-04, 10:33 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
"Live to ride; ride to live."

As I posted earlier, when Velo-Retro's Chuck Schmidt went through the rear side glass of an errant SUV, the paramedics underestimated his age by almost 15 years. (Before checking his identification, they initially described him as "John Doe, 1958," but he was born in 1944.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-08-04, 02:40 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelwlf3
The reason is that while I was riding, new arteries formed around the clogged one, creating a natural bypass. This is called "collateral circulation" and it will often be the only circulation some heart patients will have.

So to me, the phrase "Ride to Live, Live to Ride" has special significance.

5 years ago I was just about at the peak of my fitness, or at the peak of my fitness since I took up riding. (I was ultra fit up till 35) I was just preparing myself for a big ride, When severe Angina took over one morning. No warning, and came on in about 10 minutes. 10 days later after all the tests and Xrays and angiogram, I was up for a bypass. Apparrantly 2 arteries over 90% blocked and the other 75%. Aorta was clear. One Question I was Asked was What sport do you do? Cycling or Swimming?

I am a firm believer in personal fitness, and this has been born out by several friends that have not been as "lucky" as I am. You may not feel it, or even believe it when you are just about to drop, getting up that final hill on a 5 mile ride, but cycling is one of those sports that anyone can take benefit from, and it is so easy to do.

The quote" Ride to live" is more true than you imagine.
Old 12-08-04, 04:26 PM
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement.

Fox, thanks for spotting the typo, I've corrected it.

As I've posted elsewhere on the Forum I bike for my grand daughter. The scare I received in April made me realize if I wanted to spend as much time as possible with her and hopefully future grandchildren I better do something fast. Thats why I got back on the bike, I want to have as many days as possible with her.

Yes, the expression "Ride to live, Live to ride" is very true. My version of that expression is my sig "Angel, Bop Bop loves you". Angel is what I call her and Bop Bop is what she calls me. It is because I love her I want to be with her and it's because I want to be with her, I ride (Sorry, if I got a little mushy, did not know anyother way to say it).
Old 12-08-04, 10:43 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Recommended reading: "What's Age Got To Do With It?" by Kelly Ferrin. The book profiles numerous seniors, including 90-years-young Jack LaLanne and "the flying nun of Spokane," perennial Iron[wo]man competitor, Sister Madonna Buder, as well as one of my friends, Ray Crawford, who has won several track and field medals after having quadruple bypass heart surgery.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-09-04, 10:35 AM
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
The quote" Ride to live" is more true than you imagine.
I don't know - I can imagine quite a lot.

Nice to meet you.
Old 12-09-04, 11:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been an on again off again rider for most of my life...and did lots of touring during the mid/late 1980s. Like so many others I had gotten away from riding more than a few miles each year as time went by.

About 4 years ago it was determined that I had some sort of "minor" blockage in my arteries, and the local doctor suggested I start some mild exercise and change what I had been eating. My symptoms went away, and I began to feel great. Because the symptoms "mysteriously" went away I decided to consult a Cardiologist in D.C.

March 15th of 2004 I went into hospital for Cardiac Cath to determine how much blockage was actually present in my arteries. On the 20th, I came out with a fresh new quadruple bypass....two weeks later I asked my surgeon how soon I could start riding again...he jokingly asked if I was going to ride home from his office in D.C. to my home in Annapolis,MD. The following week under my wifes very watchful eye I started riding back and forth on the street in front of my house. By the end of the summer I had logged about 700 miles on the bike, and heaven only knows how many hours on the stationary bike at the Cardiac Rehab program I attended.

I consider myself a very fortunate fella....I never had a heart attack. That fact, and my cycling over the past 7-8 months have been the major factors in my relatively smooth recovery...you can be assured I am not going to get too far from bike from now on.
Old 12-09-04, 08:37 PM
The Iceman cometh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mdsteve,

WTG, keep on biking. I intend to do the same.