Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Quick release for BOB Yak and other trailers...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 09:59 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have just got a BOB Yak off ebay, but it didn't come with the quick release. I checked on the bob website ( www.bobgear.com ) to find out the length and specs of the BOB quick release.

My question is, can I substitute a Weber quick release as long as it is the proper length? Are all quick releases basically the same, just different lengths?

Lance
a.k.a. Becnal
Old 12-08-04, 10:18 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Looking at the BOB web site it looks to me like the trailer attaches over the QR and that the QR is specific to the design. I don't know anything about the Webber but I would probably just get the BOB QR.
Old 12-08-04, 11:53 AM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The BOB quick release is very specific to BOB trailers. The front arms on the trailer hook over the ends of the quick release. These ends are machined to a specific diameter and rotate on the quick release. As far as I know, there is no substitute.

While you're ordering a quick release, I recommed you buy a couple extra locking pins for the front hooks. They're cheap, but if one gets lost or breaks, the trailer is unusable.
Old 12-08-04, 02:01 PM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I've noticed you've posed this same question on several other touring mailing lists.
I'm assuming you're talking about the quick release skewer which connects the trailer to your bike. You must use a BOB skewer for this. I don't know anything about Weber.
Of course the quick release skewer for the rear wheel of the trailer is standard.....any skewer can be used there.
Old 12-08-04, 02:08 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
The BOB quick release is very specific to BOB trailers. The front arms on the trailer hook over the ends of the quick release. These ends are machined to a specific diameter and rotate on the quick release. As far as I know, there is no substitute.

While you're ordering a quick release, I recommed you buy a couple extra locking pins for the front hooks. They're cheap, but if one gets lost or breaks, the trailer is unusable.
Correct. Good idea to order a couple extra clips while you're at it but they are a common fastener called clevis pin that is available at any hardware store.
Old 12-08-04, 06:59 PM
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The current BOB trailer design uses a non-standard pin. It's not a clevis pin by any means. Actually, I believe you are referring to a clip pin that is used to retain a clevis pin or hitch pin.

You could probably use a clip pin in lieu of the BOB retainer pin if you can find one the correct size, but the current BOB retainer pin design is very unlikely to come loose on its own.
Old 12-09-04, 05:05 AM
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about two-timing you good folk, but I did indeed post the question on various bicycle forum websites. One never knows who might be able to supply the correct info, so it's a good idea to cast a wide net.

Although I suspect that the Weber skewer is probably ok, I am gonna stick with the unanimous advice given here (and other forums as well) and be on the safe side by getting the BOB yak QR skewer. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

Becnal
Old 12-09-04, 06:17 AM
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your BOB Yak should have come with that QR skewer: they usually do. If it ain't in the box, go complain to someone and get it back.

(The standard BOB skewer is good for 130-135mm dropouts)
Old 12-09-04, 12:22 PM
I'm made of earth!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got it off ebay, used. The guy told me when I picked it up that it had no attachment, but then he dropped the price by $40 to compensate. I think that was fair.
Old 12-14-04, 09:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by supcom
The current BOB trailer design uses a non-standard pin. It's not a clevis pin by any means. Actually, I believe you are referring to a clip pin that is used to retain a clevis pin or hitch pin.

You could probably use a clip pin in lieu of the BOB retainer pin if you can find one the correct size, but the current BOB retainer pin design is very unlikely to come loose on its own.
Have they changed the design? When I called my dealer to order new clips he said to buy clevis pins as I recall. Maybe he said clevis pin clips. I'm not sure he had the right name for it but the clips on my BOB are not uncommon. I found they are used to hold the pads up in elevators. The pads are used to protect the walls of the elevator from getting scratched when hauling freight. As a bike messenger/elevator jockey I've found it no problem to acquire spare (clevis or?) pin clips.