Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Weight Savings.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Weight Savings.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 02:05 PM
Epitome of Mediocrity

Bikes: Rans V2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Weight Savings.

I'd like to hear some ideas on weight savings. I (V-2 owner) am obsessed. But I'm also a tightwad (not paying for aluminum, or HED wheels). So I'm doing the things I can afford- losing weight myself, lighter tires, shoes, etc. I do have a front fairing, and one bottle cage, but no panniers, mirrors, fenders, electronics, tools, or kickstand. Before you roll your eyes, I'm even thinking about eliminating the whole left hand assembly (grip shifter, brake, cables, and the two front chainrings). That leaves me with the right side controls for the rear brakes, and rear derailleur. Is this stupid? I can still climb hills in the 52T, if that's an issue. But is it necessary to have both brake sets?
Old 12-08-04, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wouldn't it be better to leave the front brakes on if you only wanted brakes on one wheel? Front brakes on cars and df bikes do have the majority of stopping power.

As far as losing rings, I just did this on my df touring bike and I love it. I barely ever used the big or little rings.
Old 12-08-04, 03:26 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think you are being unwise. Losing the front brake also loses 75% of your braking power. Losing the front derailleur will likely result in dropping your chain occasionally, although not terribly often. Is it totally flat where you ride? I mean, I can do hills at maybe 4-5% in my big ring, if they're short ones. Are you also going to drill out your handlebars? Take half the spokes out of your wheels? I think you should just get a nice Thracian wheelset and call your weight loss good enough. Dont start dropping components that reduce the functionality of the bike.