Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Good Ottawa Bike Shops

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Good Ottawa Bike Shops

Old 12-09-04, 01:15 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Pirhana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Ottawa Bike Shops

Reaching out to people either in Ottawa now, or who used to live in Ottawa:

I'm looking for an lbs to find a good touring bike. In particular, has anyone had any experience having an LBS order and build a Surly LHT up here?
Old 12-09-04, 01:45 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Treviso, Rocky Mountain Oxygen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, Coldcanuck, can't help you. I left Ottawa 3 years ago for Switzerland.
Better riding. Better bike shops.

Good luck to you and frohe Weihnachten!
Old 12-09-04, 01:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny, the more I get into cycling here, the more swiss people I come across!

Anyone else with more luck?
Old 12-09-04, 08:34 PM
~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suggest Rebec and Kroes, they helped outfit me for my cross Canada tour. The are really good people and treat you with respect. They take an interest in your touring goals, I have been dealing with them for many years now. I would also take a look at Bertands on Eddy st. in Hull, most placed can't touch thier prices, and you can find almost anything there. I even found old clamp on down tube friction shifters there, that were brand new, and they only charged me 10$, the same price they were about 20 years ago, as opposed to Dave's bike dump which wanted to charge me 20$ for some old worn out shifters that barely worked. I would definitly try those 2 places Rebec and Kroes and Bertrands in Hull. If you wan't a custom made tourer some of the best custom bikes are made at C.C. Bertrands in Hull, I forget what street they are on but man they make sweet rides. C.C. bertrands is the son of the owner of Bertrands, I think they had a falling out a few years back and the sons split and formed C.C. Bertrands. Non the less they are both real good shops Bertrands for the hard to find stuff and C.C. Bertrands for the really nice customs
Old 12-09-04, 09:24 PM
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Isn't it GM Bertrand? I've heard good things about their touring bikes.
Old 12-10-04, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle Bertrand is on Wellington Street in Hull.Go to the Ottawa Bicycle Club site and check for other shops in the area.Good luck with your hunt.
Old 12-10-04, 09:28 PM
Gordon P

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just a tip!!!
I am new to Ottawa myself and looking for a new touring bike. Iwas in a shop today on Bank Street in the Glebe, can't remember the name, and they had a large 54" Canondale t1000! for $1600. cdn.

Old 12-12-04, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Everyone... Thanks for all the help.

I had the chance to go to both Rebec and Kroes as well as GM Bertrand over the weekend...

Rebec and Kroes were ok... They had the Cannondale T2000 on display. The guys working the place were mostly Mountain Bike jockeys 16 years of age. Fantastic store and knowledgable guys.

Then I went to GM Bertrand... and WOW. It was absolutely fantastic. Hard to describe, but the second I walked in, I immediately felt comfortable. The only stock touring bike they carry is the Trek 520 and the Giant OCR Touring (aluminum frame, though). BUT, they also have their own Bertrand frames, which they can also custom make for you. They took me out back and showed me how I'd be sized. As well, he explained the level of detail they go through to make a custom frame for you... There were also pictures around the shop of guys on their Bertrands all over Canada and North America.

Thanks again to everyone for all the help! I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy at Bertand's, the only question is whether a stock Trek 520, or a custom Bertrand
Old 12-13-04, 07:27 PM
~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know of a few people that have purchased thier custom mades, and they all rave about them. I have read in a few places that they are some of the best customs around. I wish I could afford one of those customs. I have a 15$ junker though that treats me pretty good. If you go to Rebec & Kroes you should talk to the owners, Josh & Bev. If I need something important I will see them, most of thier sales employees seem to be very transient, for that reason I always talk to the owners. If you get a bertrand custom though I think you will be really happy, after all the best bike is the one made for you. Maybe I will see ya on the open road, once it gets nices out.
Old 12-13-04, 09:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akarius
I know of a few people that have purchased thier custom mades, and they all rave about them. I have read in a few places that they are some of the best customs around. I wish I could afford one of those customs. I have a 15$ junker though that treats me pretty good. If you go to Rebec & Kroes you should talk to the owners, Josh & Bev. If I need something important I will see them, most of thier sales employees seem to be very transient, for that reason I always talk to the owners. If you get a bertrand custom though I think you will be really happy, after all the best bike is the one made for you. Maybe I will see ya on the open road, once it gets nices out.
Looking forward to it! I'll keep that in mind. I'm still thinking about the Cannondale, and they're pretty much the only LBS in Ottawa that carriest them.
Old 12-13-04, 10:42 PM
senile member

Bikes: 1 mtb converted for commuting (actually, collecting dust in the garage), a LHT with "durable components"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's funny, the more I get into cycling here, the more swiss people I come across!
yeah, i met several swiss girls touring while on the road, cute!