Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on my Recent hub Motor conversion.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Thoughts on my Recent hub Motor conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-11, 07:48 PM

Bikes: Progrear RS-40, Giant Cypress with Hub motor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Thoughts on my Recent hub Motor conversion.

I recently added a front hub motor (250W 8Fun brushless geared) and 36V 12 Ah Lithium-Ion (LiMgPo4 made by Beyonderpower) to a Giant Cypress 4 Hybrid bike. The Motor/Battery and controller all came in a Kit from a Ebay seller. The Kit included Twist throttle, Pedelec sensor and brake levers with switches to turn off motor (which I didn't install as my brake and gear levers were combined). The cost of the Kit was A$375 + postage of A$79. I had purchased the bike for my son a year ago for A$399. Total cost A$853.
The kit was reasonable easy to install althought I did have to grind a bit of metal off the inside of the steel front forks which was hitting the hub motor. I didn't install the brake switches and feel they are not neccessary unless you have a regenerative braking system or a cruise control throttle.
The bikes mass was 15.8 kg before conversion and 24.8 kg after, including battery (20.4 kg with battery removed).
The longest ride I have been on is 50km (with pedaling) with the battery leds indicating 1/2 full after this ride. The Battery charger took 0.4 kWh of electricity to replenish the battery after this ride. I believe a 36V 12 AH batter should hold 432 (36x12) watt hours of electricity and be able to run a 250W motor for 1.7 hours.
The Hub motor doesn't add any power after about 28 kph. The hub has almost the same resistance as a normal front wheel hub when freewheeling. However, even this relatively low power motor which is just over the maximum allowed in Australia (200W) really transforms my ability to climb hills. Today I rode from sea level to 420 meters elevation over 10 km without stopping. I have done this before once without electric assistance on my lighter (10kg) road bike and it was a hugh effort with 3 or 4 stops.
Yesterday I rode the bike to work 18km each way and reasonally flat and was able to survive with a towel sponge clean up and change of cloths rather that having a shower which was needed after riding my non-electric bike.
I am very happy with the bike. I am much more confident to tackle big hills and I am now able to venture along many new tracks which were previously too hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2398.jpg (101.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-10-11, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a nice light conversion and I'm happy your first build is working out so well. Don't forget those torque arms. Those little geared motors can generate lots of torque. Definitely worth the peace of mind, especially on a front hubbie build.
Old 12-11-11, 05:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you meant LiFePo4, their LiMn batteries are only 10Ah and you mentioned 12Ah..

Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Also, remember, that lithium batteries have a relatively flat discharge (unlike SLAs) and can show 1/2 or even 3/4 full and you could be at 85% down.
Old 12-12-11, 03:22 AM

Bikes: Progrear RS-40, Giant Cypress with Hub motor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The battery is stamped with 12AH and came with a model number which suggested it was a Lithium manganese battery but I may be wrong.