Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

wheel rebuild - advice on a decent pair of rims?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 08:58 PM

Bikes: 197? Takara fixie conversion, 1997 Diamondback Zetec 4.1 SS conversion and stripped paint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so the pair of run of the mill stock mavics on my bike have started to develop the telltale concave shape to them, telling me it's time to replace them. i guess it's about time, they're about 7 years old. i plan on keeping the hubs (black lx's, the rear is the silent clutch - kinda heavy, but makes it easy to sneak up on your buddies... :-) ) since there's nothin' wrong with 'em and doing the rebuild myself.

i can't decide what rims to get, though. i'm on a serious budget, so i'm looking to go as cheap as possible without compromising quality (too much). my bike is a fully rigid singlespeed, and most of the riding i do is reasonably tame to technical singletrack type stuff. two options i'm considering are the sun sub IV rims that are on clearance at jensen right now (https://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=RI606A00) and syncros lil snappers that one or two sellers on ebay are selling. these rims appear to be of decent quality to me for what i will use them for, and the price can't be beat. an added bonus is that they're black, and i think if i use black spokes my rebuilt wheels will look sweet. my impression is that both are OEM rims, which makes me hesitate slightly. of these two i'm leaning towards the suns, since they're being sold by a reputable retailer AND i have a pair of sun CR18's on my fixie that i have been quite happy with.

anyway, any opinions/advice would be much appreciated, particularly if anyone has any experience with either rim, or if you have any advice on any other rims i might want to check out. thanks, and happy riding!
Old 12-09-04, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here are some rhynolites for 23$. Very strong rims.
https://www.pricepoint.com/detail/116...-Lite-Rim-.htm
Old 12-09-04, 09:08 PM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Personally I think the only rim that Sun makes thats any good at all would be the Rynolite/Mammoth, but thats me. You don't see syncros on many bikes, and there is probably a reason for that. As I recall they use offset spokes. You got 7 years out of some cheap Mavics, why would you consider anything else?
Old 12-09-04, 09:21 PM
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would get a welded rim rather than pinned join if building.?

https://www.go-ride.com/prod_rims.html I have one really old Mavik I like.

I'm probably Rhino or Mavik next. Spokes I have used are DT Swiss, seem very reliable.
Old 12-10-04, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rhynos or Singletracks, personally (Singletracks if you're going disc only - they're wide and hold a bead nicely)