Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Headlamp wanted

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-11, 05:21 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Headlamp wanted

Not for the bike or helmet, but something to let me see while walking.

If we get any snow here, it's going to be safer for me if I get the bike of the streets and hike in the grass. Don't want to have to carry/hold a flashlight for the 2-3 mile hike home after work. Also will come in handy on those days that I walk due to bike being down for repairs.

Might be something for the touring crowd who camp, but figured I'd post here first.
Old 12-16-11, 10:53 PM

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few months ago I bought an ugly as sin headlamp for $6 on deal extreme that has at least 20 LEDs in it. Around Hallloween we had a big storm here and the power went out for several days and I had a chance to test out all of my various flashlights and lamps. Strangely, this el-cheapo headlamp outperformed everything else that I had except for a Cateye HL-EL450 (around $25-30) (at that time I didn't have the inoled, though) It looks like a miners headlamp, and it takes 4 AAs. 4 batteries last for days..and its quite bright. Not as bright as lights with LED drivers in them but for the money it was a great deal.

It was very highly rated on DX, its easy to find. But a warning, it looks really cheap.
Old 12-16-11, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best headlamp I've used is the Surefire Saint. I don't use it for cycling though, only climbing. They are frightfully expensive but worth every dime.
Old 12-17-11, 07:52 AM
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't normally recommend this for lighting needs, but go to Home Depot if you have one nearby. I recently went in looking for something else but spent a 1/2 hour perusing all the different pallets of seasonal mostly junk cheap lights. Included in that mix were some surprisingly bright flashlights and fairly decent headlamps, sometimes sold in combination. This page alone from the website will give you an idea of what they are carrying right now, but I bet most of this stuff will be gone by Christmas. A headlamp sounds like what you want, but be warned that they can be annoying in light mist, fog or snow, as the light is too close to your eyes and it reflects back on all the particles in the air.
Old 12-17-11, 09:48 AM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BetweenRides
... A headlamp sounds like what you want, but be warned that they can be annoying in light mist, fog or snow, as the light is too close to your eyes and it reflects back on all the particles in the air.
You have a point. I might look into strapping flashlights to my wrists or something. Maybe borrow on the Iron Man chest piece theme...
Old 12-17-11, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Lots of moderately bright headlamps are out there. Check REI for an idea of what's available. These things have been around for many years and are great for walking, hiking, reading in the tent, etc..
Old 12-18-11, 09:56 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wife snagged a $5 version made by Totes today from Wally World. Not powerful enough for cycling, but it should work nicely for walking. It's about as bright as my current Zefal safety light.
Old 12-20-11, 11:17 AM

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Just some thoughts here

My suggestions are based upon a few things.
a) Get or use your reflective vest. Home depot has some very nice ones with 360 reflective and iin mesh so very usable for the bike.
B) I use a Head lamp on my long night rides which means 30-65 miles in the dark. REI, EMS sell good units in the $20-40 range. My use is really to see street signs and for my cue sheet. Adjustable tilt and 3-4 modes (blinking is nice) will take care of you.
Note: that the reflective vest will work BEST in snow, rain or just plain old darkness from 1/8 -1/2 mile away based on weather conditions. Much better than a head lamp.
Remember that you will see a car coming way before they will see you.

On the back, use a flashing light clipped to your collar, hood or strap to cap etc. You'll figure it out, even a sweat band on the outside of your cap or hood.

Keep it simple, but the reltor vest works like a charm.

Originally Posted by no1mad
Not for the bike or helmet, but something to let me see while walking.

If we get any snow here, it's going to be safer for me if I get the bike of the streets and hike in the grass. Don't want to have to carry/hold a flashlight for the 2-3 mile hike home after work. Also will come in handy on those days that I walk due to bike being down for repairs.

Might be something for the touring crowd who camp, but figured I'd post here first.
Old 12-21-11, 02:24 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I use this model headlamp, slightly brighter than my PT eos and 1/6 the price.. Ignore the 270 lumens, more like 70 lumens. works with nimh and alkaline aaa cells.. I use this when running at night..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/270-Lumens-Q...item3368990b06
Old 12-21-11, 05:43 AM

Bikes: All City Nature Boy, Salsa Ti Fargo, Kona Electric Ute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a Coleman headband/headlight at Wally world for $25.00, it lights in blue, red, and 3 brightness settings of white and is over 100 lumens at max setting. Its currently on my helmet, but gets removed when my son takes the dogs out at night