Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Do you ride your mtb on the road?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 09:43 AM

Bikes: NINER EMD 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know you cant always ride your mountain bike. So when the conditions for mountainbiking are sub par do you ride your mountain bike on the road or do most of you have roadie bikes too? If you do, what road bike do you have?
Old 12-26-11, 09:54 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Of course! Sometimes I take my heaviest mountain bike, a 87 Giant Rincon that weighs 35 pounds for a 50 mile road ride just for the work out of pushing a heavy bike. My Kona Lava Dome is about 10 pounds lighter with far lighter rims too and occasionally I ride that on the road too. Typically though I don't like riding the MTB's long distances because of the limited area for hand placement my hands will get tired and sore, so I prefer riding the road bikes for road use due to having a lot more places to put my hands.
Old 12-26-11, 10:22 AM

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MTB'ing on the road is tons of fun:

Old 12-26-11, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last summer I cycled a bit under 200km to our summer cottage, other than that I cycle to school, shops, tennis, actually anywhere with my MTB, mostly on road but I do take the forest trail if there is one.
Old 12-26-11, 11:18 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Both. I have a couple of road bikes too (a Salsa Campion, and a Pake fixie), but I also have a Serotta T-Max mountain bike that was built specifically to be ridden primarily on-road, and a Fisher Opie that is generally setup for Freeride/Urban Assaults where I do on-road miles between the areas where I "play". Sometimes I choose to take the Opie out instead of a road bike just because I like the freedom to be able to ride "off the grid".

Over the years I've done several centuries on a mountain bike, and my longest on-road only ride on a mountain bike was just shy of 300 miles in just over 24 hours. These days however most often I do on-road/off-road rides that start with road miles to a meet-up location and then a group off-road cross country/trail ride, and then end with road miles on the way home. For me, mountain bikes are just so adaptable that limiting their use to the dirt misses some great opportunities.
Old 12-26-11, 11:58 AM

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Around here, "sub par" conditions that would prevent off-roading means snow and ice, so then it's the commuter mountain bike with studded tires. It's heavy and slow and noisy, but hey I'm riding outdoors at least.

Since I don't drive if I can help it, I also ride the road to my group rides and XC races, of course. Once in a while I'll show up for a road group ride with my XC bike, although it's undergeared for our 35mph sign sprints

Anyway yeah, I do have a road-sport bike too. Nice thing to have.
Old 12-26-11, 01:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by igotfatlaces; 11-23-14 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-26-11, 03:06 PM
people's champ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
vintage road bikes on the road
Old 12-26-11, 06:20 PM
Ride On.

Bikes: 2010 Trek 1.5, 2010 Specialized Langster, 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport 29er, 2011 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a fixie for simple commutes because it is a bit more robust. I have a roadie for most of my long rides. My Hardrock Sport has 35's on it now and is for training. It is nice riding a heavier bike on the road. After a while I hop on the road bike and it feels like I am flying (I actually am because I have gotten faster).

For the most part, the HiFi is strictly offroad. Mainly because I have so many on road options.
Old 12-26-11, 06:33 PM

Bikes: rocky mountain SLAYER!!!! trek, voodoo, surly, spot, bianchi, ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
if i am going to ride on the road for a significant distance, i will ride my ibis silk road bike. if the weather is crappy, i will ride my surly pugsley. i will ride a mountainbike on the road occasionally, but mostly to get somewhere to ride my mountainbike.

that is what i do, because it works for me. whatever works for you is the best way to do it.
Old 12-26-11, 07:27 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can only afford/justify one bike (since I insist it meet a certain standard, not cheap to do), and it is a MTB. I'd rather have one "just right" bike than 2-3 that "come close".

4-1/2 years on the present frame/fork, somewhere between 15K-16K miles on it, pretty much all surfaces. Don't do dirt jumps, big air, or centuries. I think I do pretty well to do a couple 50-milers a year on the beastie.... Otherwise, it's a daily rider.
Old 12-26-11, 07:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea.
Old 12-26-11, 09:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride my MTB on the road to get to the trails, but if I'm going to solely road ride then I take my Scott CR1 Pro road bike
Old 12-26-11, 09:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My MTB + slicks and full fenders is my bad weather commuter.
Old 12-26-11, 11:22 PM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by marley mission
vintage road bikes on the road
Of course, why not? Their more dependable then modern rides.
Old 12-27-11, 07:58 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I ride mountain bikes for riding on mountain and dirt/sand trails.
I ride road bikes on the road.

I don't ride hybrids cause I haven't found a "Hybrid" trail or road.
Old 12-27-11, 09:56 AM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to do semi-long road rides (30-50 miles) on an XC hardtail before I bought a road bike. Just used my regular knobby tires because it was still primarily my mountain bike. Then for a while, I used it as a commuter to get to work (~14 miles roundtrip). Still used knobbies because I was trying to sell it at the time, and had a road bike by that point. After I sold that, I didn't have a mountain bike that was really that great for road riding, though for super short commutes (>3 miles or so), I have my 24", which I use to take advantage of little ledges and stairs along the way.
Old 12-27-11, 10:10 AM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It should be fairly common to see hardtails on daily commutes and half-centuries. I'd find it difficult to wrap my mind around a fully suspended MTB doing the daily commute or half century, on primarily flat road surfaces.

Just Say'N...

- Slim
Old 12-27-11, 10:54 AM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that my FS would be faster and better than my old XC hardtail for road riding. It's a lot lighter, and ProPedal is pretty darn effective. I just...don't like using it on the road. I have a road bike for longer rides, and I'm not going to use it for commuting since that would involve locking it up outside somewhere. So I guess "not that great for road riding" isn't quite the most accurate terminology...just "not appropriate for my purposes."
Old 12-27-11, 03:21 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I ride my Scott Spark on the road a lot. It gets me to the trails. Around here if the weather is bad there are railroad side roads and trails around golf courses that I like to ride. I always hope to pick up a few Titleist or Bridgestone GBs around the golf courses. Most of em are mine anyway.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 12-27-11, 04:05 PM
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only when pedaling to/connecting trails.............tires are way too $$ for me to replace.
Old 12-27-11, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I ride my upgraded Miyata 914(80s road bike) with bullhorns for leisurely nice day road rides, the 80s road bike converted to 3 speed IGH for riding on road with friends or often to work in decent weather, or the fat tire cruiser for trips to the store or to grab coffee or something. The MTB basically stays on the trails. I'll take it out to mess around on some stairs or ditches once in a while if the trails are too wet to ride and I need a MTB fix. I do have a 94 Giant MTB set up as a winter commuter with fenders and studded tires, but I wouldn't really consider that riding my MTB on the road.
Old 12-27-11, 05:21 PM
Live4Him

Bikes: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?637645-My-new-project-*pics*&highlight=gonathan85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes, but tires for bikes are $$$$ man!
Old 12-27-11, 05:44 PM
gbg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the city so I don't have much choice. I do have a Trek Madone, but
I still prefer the MTB's because of the crappy roads. I will take a few less MPH
over fixing flats any day. And you can get some pretty sweet deals on knobbies
on Ebay. I always rode knobbies on the street but just got some semi slick's last
summer and they bring the speed differential down a bit as well.
Old 12-27-11, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix road bike, Stumpjumper Comp hardtail, Trance X2 FS mountainbike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot - Frequently when I am living on my boat I don't have a car. My MTB (Specialized Stumpjumper MX) gets a rack and panniers and wheels with road tires. The MTB then does the grocery shopping, boat part shopping, and bar hopping. When it is time to go dirt riding I remove the road stuff, put on wheels with good dirt tires and am off to the hills.

I also have a nice CF road bike but it can't get the groceries for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.