Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Montreal BF Event?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A Montreal BF Event?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02, 06:35 AM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Montreal BF Event?

I know there are some people on BF from the Montreal area and relatively nearby. Would any of us be interested in a meeting? I could be "The Ride for the Bagels" or something. In any event, It would be a blast to meet you guys.

It would have to be on a weekend, of course, to accomodate those who have to come from far and wide, and I suspect some time in late-May or eartly-June would be ideal.

Is there any level of interest for this?

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 04-22-02, 08:14 AM
山馬鹿

Bikes: Nakagawa

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea sure, I live in Beaconsfield. Am yet to start commuting to work. I think that it might be a cool idea. Anybody else?

Old 04-22-02, 01:00 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Count me in - I expect I will be in the Juvenile Diabetes Bikeathon which takes place in the Lafontaine park area - I think on the last Sun in May. The Tour de l'Isle is on the first Sun in June. If you want to organise anything pick a date and place soon.
Old 04-22-02, 01:02 PM
山馬鹿

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live here so pretty much any weekend is good, as long as there is advanced notice.

-- S
Old 04-22-02, 09:37 PM
Sprockette

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe we could do a ride across the ice bridge to Ile du cuvee, as soon as the ice bridge opens at the end of April. You guys ever go there? It's a great ride and attracts lots of cyclists. I'm not keen on the tour de l'ile, it's really chaotic and not that uch fun. Some time in june would be great- we could go in the evening, perhaps, since the days are long.
Old 04-23-02, 05:38 AM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....how 'bout a nice scenic ride over the Pont J. Cartier? Or through the Mohawk reservation at Oka? Dodging nut-case drivers in Logeuil or Dorval? Geez, the possibilities are endless!!
Old 04-23-02, 07:01 AM
山馬鹿

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the Jacque Cartier idea, but there is significant construction on it these days, so I'm not sure if the path is open, does anybody know either way?

Old 04-23-02, 07:26 AM
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ummm... Spire... D*Alex was being sarcastic.

My preference, of course, would be to avoid the Tour de l'Ile weekend. It's hard to get around with 30,000 pedestrians on bikes clogging the streets, and drivers tend to be in a bad mood on days like that.

Options could be... As Wabbit suggests, a ride across the Ice Bridge to Ile de Couvees and then into the South Shore. We could get 100 km there, of which 70 km would be on quiet country roads.

Or a ride westward along the Lakeshore, looping through Senneville, Ile Perot or Ile Bizard. If we're up to it, we could do a proper century to Rigaud, or a sort-of-century of about 120 km to Hudson and back.

If we could score some motorized wheels and racks, there's always the possibility of heading up to the Laurentians or down to the Townships. In the latter case, we could probably get one of or upstate New York colleagues to join us...

Ideas...

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002
Old 04-23-02, 08:29 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I take the Jacques Cartier Br from Ile Ste Helene to the S. Shore, and it is pretty good now they have doubled the width of the path. I think the rest is open on the West side, but not improved.

I like the circuit from Ile Bizard, Oka, Hudson, Ste Anne de B.
Old 04-23-02, 08:47 AM
山馬鹿

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know that there is a bike path to get from Ste-Annes to Ile-Perrot next to the 20, but is there one to get off Ile-Perrot on the west side?
Old 04-25-02, 07:15 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is no problem taking the road across the bridge from Dorion to Ile Perrot. For crossing Ile Perrot there is a quiet road parallel to Hwy 20, or you can take the long way past the old windmill on the South point.
Old 05-25-02, 04:55 PM
山馬鹿

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did this idea die? I still think it would be cool to do this, now that good weather is within sight for all and already here for some (like me)!