Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bacchetta Corsa SS

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Bacchetta Corsa SS

Old 01-06-12, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Bacchetta Corsa SS

I'm going to look at a Bacchetta Corsa SS tomorrow and would like your thoughts. This would be my first bent and I've never even been on one before, would this be a good starter bike? All I know about it is that it's yellow and has SRAM XO derailleurs a (Brainbox?) mirror and is in excellent shape.
Old 01-06-12, 06:55 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Very hot bike with two big wheels and a high bottom bracket.
Generally bikes like that have a steeper learning curve than some other 'bent styles.
If you want to go fast and don't mind that it may take awhile to get fully used to the bike, could be a great purchase.
A brainbox is a bag that hangs off the rear of the seat.

Good starter bike? Not for everybody. Great for some, though.
Old 01-06-12, 07:12 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Bought a Giro two months ago, same overall design as a Corsa. There is a steep learning curve, but I am really enjoying riding these days.

I have a Brainbag. They're cool. They're not cheap. I'm amazed what I'm tossing in there now, considering that in my poseur days I had a saddlebag the size of a gnat's scrotum.

Old 01-06-12, 08:34 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
A Corsa is one of the bikes I recommend for people who want to ride fast. Do you want to ride fast?
Old 01-06-12, 09:03 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently a high dollar racing job. Found one here used for $1200.
Old 01-07-12, 01:16 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Apparently a high dollar racing job. Found one here used for $1200.
Considering that it has an upgraded seat and brakes, that's a very good price.
Old 01-07-12, 06:45 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
BlazingPedals
A Corsa is one of the bikes I recommend for people who want to ride fast. Do you want to ride fast?

No, I'm not looking to go fast. I just want to go on long comfortable rides. This might not be the correct bike.

JanMM
Very hot bike with two big wheels and a high bottom bracket.
Generally bikes like that have a steeper learning curve than some other 'bent styles.
If you want to go fast and don't mind that it may take awhile to get fully used to the bike, could be a great purchase.
A brainbox is a bag that hangs off the rear of the seat.

Good starter bike? Not for everybody. Great for some, though.

Thanks. I will look into something geared more towards touring type rides with less of a learning curve.
Old 01-07-12, 08:01 AM

?

I'd give it a look, for your data base.

I bought my Giro to go long distances with its rider in comfort. The fact that I routinely hit 30MPH going down the little hills in the area is a plus

About the learning curve: I'm as poor an athlete as ever walked the Earth, tripping over my own Velcro shoe straps as I go. I'm really glad I bought the Giro/Strada/Corsa (they're just variations on a theme). It's just that I thought I was going to die on my first trip around the parking lot.

Old 01-07-12, 10:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good decision in view of what you want. Larger tires on Giro etc. give smoother ride

Originally Posted by Capecodder
BlazingPedals

No, I'm not looking to go fast. I just want to go on long comfortable rides. This might not be the correct bike. ... I will look into something geared more towards touring type rides with less of a learning curve.
I think you made a reasonable decision for what otherwise seems a very good buy.

One difference between the Corsa and the Giro 26 is the Giro can take much wider tires (up to about 50mm) which will absorb much more vibration and shocks on longer rides. You will notice this more on a recumbent with a reclined seat such as the Corsa or Giro 26 if using the carbon or Euromesh seats reclined to about 30 degrees from horizontal or less, which is where these seats are designed to be used.

This is particularly noticeable when the rear wheel goes over bumps or small holes. On an upright (diamond frame) your legs (and a shock seat post if you have one) act as shock absorbers. Not so on a reclined recumbent seat. A larger rear tire (larger than the Corsa's frame can take) does a lot to smooth out these shocks. There are, of course, fully rear-shocked recumbents.

Another Giro 26/Corsa difference is disc brakes on the Giro 26, although the brake upgrade that Corsa had is reputed to be very nice. You may want to look at the Bacchetta non-26 Giro or similar design with a smaller front wheel and thus lower bottom bracket.
Old 01-07-12, 11:00 AM

+1

I chose the Giro because of a) disc brakes, and b) fatter tires.

Hey Giro, what do you think about putting Conti Gatorskins 26" on a Giro? On one hand I think it would be cool, on the other hand I think I'd be asking for a pretty harsh ride. I also hate having to change tires with the Contis. They just don't mount easily at all.

Old 01-07-12, 02:23 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I'm going to look at Burley Canto tonight or tomorrow morning. This might be more of what I need.
Old 01-08-12, 08:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After not riding a bike for more than 10 years, I bought a Burley Kosah. Long wheelbase, low bottom bracket. Easiest style recumbent to learn on, IMO.
After a few years, I wanted to go faster, so I traded up to a Bacchetta Strada. It took a little courage to start off the first time with the high bottom bracket, but I haven't looked back.
Old 01-08-12, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
... Hey Giro, what do you think about putting Conti Gatorskins 26" on a Giro? On one hand I think it would be cool, on the other hand I think I'd be asking for a pretty harsh ride. I also hate having to change tires with the Contis. They just don't mount easily at all.
Other than the stock Kenda's, the smallest I've gone is Conti SportContact 32-559 front and 42-559 rear. However, ever since I put a Schwalbe Big Apple 50-559 on the rear, I've been reluctant to go any smaller on the rear. Seat is Euromesh at about 29 degrees with the Ventisit Comfort thickness pad.

On the other hand, the other recumbent rider in the family will put 23-571's on his Corsa-equivalent highracer for fast rides and to to 28-559 Gatorskins for comfort riding. Carbon seat but dual density pad helps there.

What I've been intending to do is upsize the Giro to something-622's (i.e. 700c) to see if the larger diameter and increased volume of air allows some narrower tires without too punishing a ride.
Old 01-08-12, 05:11 PM

If I might ask, what do you think about the angle of the seat? The longer I ride, the more I'm inclined to lower the angle.