Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

master's track sprint events

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-12, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
master's track sprint events

At age 53 what Masters sprint events are contested ? I would like to be more specific in my preseason training and this will be my first season on track. I have currently been working on standing starts for 6 seconds heavy resistance max effort , 40 second max effort sprints , low resistance high cadence spinning , and for lack of more equipment dead lifts working up to 350 lbs for 6 to 8 reps. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-12, 11:06 AM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by joakley
At age 53 what Masters sprint events are contested ? I would like to be more specific in my preseason training and this will be my first season on track. I have currently been working on standing starts for 6 seconds heavy resistance max effort , 40 second max effort sprints , low resistance high cadence spinning , and for lack of more equipment dead lifts working up to 350 lbs for 6 to 8 reps. Any input would be appreciated.
You will race in the 50-54 age group for the individual events at Masters Track Nationals. The Sprint events for you will be:
- 500M Time Trial (from a Standing Start):

- Flying 200M + Match Sprints (assuming that you qualify for the tournament):

You can also do Team Sprint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_sprint
The age groups are 35+, 45+, 55+, and 65+ (I think there is a 65+ but you are too young). Basically, everybody on the team cannot be younger than 35, 45, 55, or 65 in each category. So you are eligible to compete in 45+ or with the faster guys in 35+. You will have to make a team ahead of time (teammates, contacts, etc...) or try to assemble a team while you are there.

The ages used to be 30+, 40+, 50+, etc... but this year they nixed the 30-34 age group for all masters championships (road, track, mtb...) so they shifted to 35+, 45+, etc...

Old 01-20-12, 11:15 AM
Elitist

Wow. 350# deadlift at 53 (heck at any age) is impressive! Training is a weird thing. If you can afford a coach and can find one that has experience coaching track sprinters, that would be best. Track sprint training is very different than other bike racing disciplines...including track Endurance training. There is a big emphasis on gym training, sometimes this takes precedent over bike work.

The gym training and periodization is very similar to what Track & Field sprinters or Speed Skaters might do.

Here is current Keirin World Champion Shane Perkins' Q&A on the topic:

How much time do you spend in the gym as compared to on your bike?
Liv, Sydney
This is a question I haven’t had before. The reason for the gym is for rehab/injury prevention and strength and power work to be converted to the bike. I would say there are stages when gym is a higher priority than track and vice versa at times throughout the year. Looking over my programs I would say percentage wise we would do 70% Track/Bike to 30% Gym work.
Source: https://www.shaneperkins.com/qanda/

There are also training phases that should happen in certain orders to make the most of your work. For Track Sprinters, it's generally: Strength phase, Power phase, Power on the bike, then fine tuning and bringing it all together for race season then a peak for your big event(s).

Last edited by carleton; 01-20-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-20-12, 11:18 AM
Elitist

Here are the results from the last 2 Masters Track Nationals. You'll have to hunt around and look for the 50-54 age group to see what time-trial times would make you a contender:
Old 01-20-12, 11:24 AM
Elitist

Also, if you have raced road and/or crits for a while then you might want to consider the 5KM Scratch Race. It's pretty straightforward: 5KM. 1st guy to complete 20 laps of the 250M track (15 laps on a 333M track) is the winner.

You must be a Track Category 1-3 for mass start races like the Scratch Race, Points Race, or Madison. Category 1-5 for Team Sprints, Team Pursuits, Individual Pursuits, Individual Time Trials, and Match Sprints.

Last edited by carleton; 01-20-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-20-12, 12:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks-damn thats a bunch of information. I was thinking 500m intead of the kilo for my age , and thats a good thing (i hope). Also the 200 sounds good to me considering the amount of time i have to actually spend on the bike at present time. being able to put a team tt team together would be awesome also. Something to shoot for. As far as the 350 lbs deadlift- In the service i competed on a power lifting team and my max dead lift then was 465 lbs- so as you can see i have fallen off quite a bit over the years. This is some good news- now i have a better understanding of the training i need to focus on . Cheers
Old 01-20-12, 02:13 PM
Elitist

Thanks-damn thats a bunch of information. I was thinking 500m intead of the kilo for my age , and thats a good thing (i hope). Also the 200 sounds good to me considering the amount of time i have to actually spend on the bike at present time. being able to put a team tt team together would be awesome also. Something to shoot for. As far as the 350 lbs deadlift- In the service i competed on a power lifting team and my max dead lift then was 465 lbs- so as you can see i have fallen off quite a bit over the years. This is some good news- now i have a better understanding of the training i need to focus on . Cheers
If you competed as a power lifter, then you are 75% of the way to becoming a sprinter Seriously. I've read one description of Track Sprinters as "Powerlifters who ride bikes." Most track sprinters do a few of the Olympic Lifts (cleans but no jerks) plus a few other lifts:

Olympic and World Champ Chris Hoy training a few weeks ago...

Track sprinting is mostly about power/weight ratio + tactics. You seem to have a great foundation. Having a track locally, you can learn the tactics very quickly. It takes years for riders to develop Strength and Power close to their genetic potential for their ages. So, you are further along than you think! And you will probably flex the crap out of the Kilo TT. Go for high quality aluminum or carbon (if you have the budget for it) What size bike do you ride? I know of a great bike at a great price here in ATL.
Old 01-20-12, 02:30 PM
Elitist

Old 01-20-12, 03:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My road bikes are both 54's. The kilo is a 50. Honestly I haven't even taken the kilo out for a test run yet. Funny you said that because I was on the net today checking out some frames. Btw i am 5'8" , 180 lbs. And another thing - when your ready to do so I think you would be an excellent coach. If I do well this year I think you will be due a coaching fee. Thanks alot man without your advice I would be lost- when I talk track around here people look at me like I am speaking Chinese. If you would pm the bike info to me. Appreciate it.
Old 01-20-12, 03:52 PM
Elitist

My road bikes are both 54's. The kilo is a 50. Honestly I haven't even taken the kilo out for a test run yet. Funny you said that because I was on the net today checking out some frames. Btw i am 5'8" , 180 lbs. And another thing - when your ready to do so I think you would be an excellent coach. If I do well this year I think you will be due a coaching fee. Thanks alot man without your advice I would be lost- when I talk track around here people look at me like I am speaking Chinese. If you would pm the bike info to me. Appreciate it.
Thanks, man. I wouldn't accept a fee. Just some chicken wings!

I'll PM you now.
Old 01-20-12, 04:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds good I will check it out. Wings it is!
Old 01-21-12, 08:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo C I have just been in contact witha local that has a jamis sonix in my size with American classic and fsa carbon in my area for a steal. I am checking it out tomorrow. But My question is to you since I committed are you due a finders fee for the bike we talked about earlier. If so let me know so if I decide to go with the jamis I can make this right. No problems on my part because I believe right is right. Let me know. But any way I plan on getting in touch with your man in atlanta next week to see what he has to say. But with That I would like to say thanks for your help and support.

Last edited by joakley; 01-21-12 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-21-12, 08:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ps I don't have enough post yet to send a pm.
Old 01-21-12, 08:41 PM
Elitist

Is it one like this?:

I'm not a fan of the Jamis Sonik due to the proprietary aero seatpost. Those things slip under some people. I like a standard 27.2 seapost that way you can run any seatpost you like.

FSA Carbon cranks don't have a great reputation either. They have been mentioned a few times around here. I'll have to find the threads for you.

The American Classic wheels on the Sonik are nothing special. The Mavic Ellipse weigh probably the same, but may prove a bit more aero.

I don't need a finder's fee if you get the bike that I've mentioned. The guy at the shop always treats me well, so I'm happy to help him make a sale.

Last edited by carleton; 01-21-12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-22-12, 08:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok cool thanks for the heads up.