Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Downtube Nova vs. Breezer Ziggy

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-12, 03:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! Newbie here. Looking into getting my first bike in a long time, never had a folder.
I love riding upright, so the handle bar height has to be adjustable. I've narrowed it down to 2 bikes - Downtube Nova & Breezer Ziggy. Wondering if anyone compared these two models? I don't know too much about bikes but I'm learning... help me please?

Found a Breezer Ziggy for about $530 online. Internal hub, a rear rack and fenders, and a chain guard as well... tried at an reputable local bike shop and loved it. A little more than I want to spend, but it's got lots of nice extra stuff.

Downtube Nova would be about $340 directly from the Downtube website (currently on sale for $299 + s/h), this fits my budget - simple and pretty streamlined, but haven't found it locally so haven't tried it yet. If I decide to go with Nova, I'd probably add a rear rack and maybe fenders, which will kick up the price by another $150 or so?

From what I've read so far, seems like Downtube Nova has a better reputation. Or it's just that there aren't too much info on Breezer Ziggy (I know it's bascially a Dahon)? I'm a 5'5"-ish female, not super strong, so would much prefer a light bike. Nova is lighter, but it might end up being about the same as Ziggy once I add the rack/fenders. (Also tried Dahon Vitesse D7HG - very nice, wish I could just get this one but it's just too expensive for me right now.)

For a casual rider, which bike would be better? Would Nova hold its value better than Breezer when I want to sell it to move up to a better bike? Do I get better support with Nova than a Breezer? Internal vs External hub - is it a big deal?

Any input would be appreciated!
Much love xoxo

R~
Old 01-25-12, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rita G
If I decide to go with Nova, I'd probably add a rear rack and maybe fenders, which will kick up the price by another $150 or so?
You can add fenders and a rack for about $60 (ie Planet Bike), even less if you buy them on clearance. Also, you can add a front derailleur to the Nova which is a nice option.
Old 01-25-12, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Found a Breezer Ziggy for about $530 online. Internal hub, a rear rack and fenders
Rear rack? All the Breezer pictures I saw on the internet do not have a rack.

Internal gear hub is simpler to maintain. The Nova is a fine bike though (my wife has one and loves it).

Another option you have is to wait for a deal on Craigslist. e.g. this one https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...808055878.html Los Angeles, Nova, $180.

Last edited by kamtsa; 01-25-12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-25-12, 12:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right, no standard rear rack on Breezer Ziggy... the one I saw at a local store had one (I thought).

LA is big and that listing is in Simi Valley (technically not in LA), which is about 2 hrs away in traffic from where I live, but I've already called the shop to find out it was sold already anyway. Since it was sold at a second hand store, it would have added the sales tax on top of the price as well... Hope something will pop up again~!

Thanks for the input. Wondering if anyone had a first hand experience with a Breezer?
Old 01-25-12, 07:30 PM
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wondering if anyone had a first hand experience with a Breezer?
I have one. I have been happy with it. Mine is a Zig 7, it came with fenders and a bell, but no rack or the pump in the seat tube.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-7?highlight=

Here is a thread with some pics of it, be warned the pics are mostly scenic with the bike being merely an innocent bystander.

I would be happy to answer any questions you had.
Old 01-26-12, 09:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Looks like you take it out to the nature & adventure lots! I've transit Panama before en route Costa Rica - definitely put it down of my list of places I want to visit in the future

So, how does it handle off-road? I just found a used Downtube Nova and tried it quickly, but it kinda felt stiff compared to the Breezer Ziggy, if I remember correctly. It's possible that the Ziggy tried had an upgraded tires/saddle (most likely not) or that the Nova was really beaten up (tires had almost no tread) so there was no comparison? Also there's a big price difference... so?

Was there other models you had considered before you purchased your Zig7 7???

Originally Posted by rex615
I have one. I have been happy with it. Mine is a Zig 7, it came with fenders and a bell, but no rack or the pump in the seat tube.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...g-7?highlight=

Here is a thread with some pics of it, be warned the pics are mostly scenic with the bike being merely an innocent bystander.

I would be happy to answer any questions you had.
Old 01-26-12, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LA is big and that listing is in Simi Valley (technically not in LA), which is about 2 hrs away in traffic from where I live,
Is this closer?

https://www.cyclingdealusa.com/HASA-F...-Bike-p/f1.htm

CYCLINGDEAL USA INC
1111 E Watson Center RD, Suite D
Carson CA 90745

I don't know much about this bike but if you live nearby maybe you can tell us. ;-)
Old 01-28-12, 06:44 AM
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. Looks like you take it out to the nature & adventure lots! I've transit Panama before en route Costa Rica - definitely put it down of my list of places I want to visit in the future

So, how does it handle off-road? I just found a used Downtube Nova and tried it quickly, but it kinda felt stiff compared to the Breezer Ziggy, if I remember correctly. It's possible that the Ziggy tried had an upgraded tires/saddle (most likely not) or that the Nova was really beaten up (tires had almost no tread) so there was no comparison? Also there's a big price difference... so?

Was there other models you had considered before you purchased your Zig7 7???
I can definitely recommend either Panama or Costa Rica for a cycling vacation.

I haven't taken the bike off road much. I did ride over some dirt and gravel roads, It handles that fairly well, but slick tires don't really help. I did try one stretch with larger rocks, it performed as expected for a bike with 20" wheels and no suspension.

I did consider an other Breezer, I think it was called Ziggy 8 (Not an IGH model), It was similar to mine but with slightly better components. It was a better bike, but not worth the several hundred dollars more.

The Zig 7 remained in Panama so I need a replacement. I bought a Dahon Mu P8 and have been very very pleased with it. Premium components all around, excellent ride and handling qualities plus to my eye it is a good looking bike.
Old 01-29-12, 08:55 PM

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Don't forget, you can get another $20 off the Downtube Nova by typing SALE in as the coupon code!