Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help on Wheels please!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Help on Wheels please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-02, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help on Wheels please!

I would like to get info on this please: 2002 Shimano XT Disc Wheelset with Mavic 223 Rims.
url https://www.pricepoint.com/wheelsdisc.html

I am upgrading to discs brakes and would like to know if this combo is good.
I am a novice rider with a Specialized RockHopper and the rims that comes with are Weinmann ZAC-19 double wall alloy, machined sidewalls, 32-hole.

My question: are the Mavic X223 better than the Weinmann ZAC-19? :confused:

Thanks
Peter

Last edited by buglike; 04-23-02 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-22-02, 10:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have any firsthand experience but I know that they are both rather light-duty XC rims.

If you look at https://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rim/ you will see that many people found that both rims are all right as entry-level rims but when subject to abuse they say that they don't hold up. Some people found them hopeless from the beginning. From that I would conclude that if you had problems with the Weinnmans then the X223s may not be suitable.

One reservation I have about these opinions, however, is that they don't account for the way the wheel was built, which is the crucial factor. When wheels are machine-built (as many are) they may not have been brought up to adequate or even tension and they won't have been stress-relieved - all of which are expected with properly hand-built wheels. The symptoms of this include having the wheel repeatedly go out of true and having spokes fail prematurely.

So if you are going to be rather rough on them then heavier rims might be in order. Either way, if you do get them mail-order and they are machine built, get them tensioned and stress-relieved locally or do it yourself.
Old 04-23-02, 06:52 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd spent an extra $30 and get the "2002 Sun Ringle Disc Jockey Wheelset" shown a little further down the page! The Ringle hubs are superior!

Although I like Mavic rims their 223 are toward the low end. They are however, better than the ZAC 19's!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 04-23-02, 05:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the input, I figured that the X223 are not far from the ones I have.