Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Return to the sport, but a newbie again...advice if you please

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-12, 06:31 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

Some of you may know me from around the forums. I have been back riding road bikes for several years now, and am now considering getting a MTB to ride. We will be living very near a nice trail area that has a mix of difficulty from beginner (practically paved) to more advanced and technical areas. I am a below knee amputee, as some of you may already know, and am not interested in riding really gnarly trails with high difficulty.
Most of what I am considering would likely be good for a cross bike, but I want to get an entry level MTB to use both for riding on trails/off road, and also to use as a utility bike for pulling a trailer and going to the grocery store and whatnot. Where I will be living is very close to town and I will have the opportunity to go car free for much of my daily living.

I have been looking at Felt and Specialized bikes. The Felt is a Q520, and the Specialized are two different offerings of the Hardrock. The Felt is a 26" and both of the Specialized are 29'ers. Otherwise, they are pretty much the same bikes in a lot of ways. The brakes are Tektro disk on all, two of the three have a lockout on the front fork. The Felt has the Shimano Alivio group, and the Hardrocks have SRAM x3 and x4.

Price isn't really an issue on any of them. I like the ride, look, and feel of the Felt. I prefer the Shimano shifting over the SRAM. The only real "downside" of the Felt are the 26" wheels. I don't ever expect to be riding on anything that it would make a significant difference for me. The only thing I can think of being a problem is if I decided to sell the bike later, as 29'ers are all the rage right now. The Felt is cheaper than the others as it is the last 26" wheel bike the shop has and will not order more short of a special request.

I know that the Hardrock and Rockhopper have had a really good reputation over the years. I own a Felt road bike a love it, but I cannot compare apples to oranges. I would love to hear what people with more experience in the sport and with these bikes have to say about them, so....fire away.

Edit-I am noticing the main operational difference between the two I am looking at is that one has 26" wheels and 8sp, the other is a 29 w/ 7sp rear cogs. Are the bigger wheels worth the extra gear?

Last edited by Juan Foote; 01-30-12 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-30-12, 06:54 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd recommend the Surly Ogre, rigid 29'er!
Old 01-30-12, 06:57 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't buy a bike to sell it. Buy it to ride it. If you like the ride and feel of the Felt, there's your answer. 26ers aren't going anywhere yet.
Old 01-30-12, 06:59 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

I tell ya Slim, the more I read into the threads on here the more questions I have.
The purchase will either be a Felt, or a Spec. as they are what the shop carries. The cost cannot go over what the .38/.357 I am getting my wife will be.

Zephyr-I ALWAYS consider resale to a point.
Old 01-30-12, 07:53 PM

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get something from the felt nine series. they make hardtail 29ers too.
Old 01-30-12, 08:24 PM
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're buying your wife a gun and worried about going over price with a bike...I suggest you pedal hard or buy something faster than a bike o.O
Old 01-30-12, 08:49 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by MisterK
You're buying your wife a gun and worried about going over price with a bike...I suggest you pedal hard or buy something faster than a bike o.O
Nah, she is around my food. If she wanted me gone it would be much more sublime.