Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Trunk Bag Questions

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Trunk Bag Questions

Old 02-02-12, 08:47 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Bike Trunk Bag Questions

Okay, got some stupid questions here. These are pretty trivial, but hey, it's a slow night, so I'll post 'em anyway.

I just got a nifty new Topeak trunk bag with fold-down panniers. I see several features that I don't know what they're for. So...

Question #1- Photo below. There's a rear pocket with an elastic drawstring. About the right size for a short water bottle? Or what IS that pocket meant for? It looks like a water bottle would bounce out pretty easily, and it's not especially handy to reach when riding, either.

Question #2 on the same photo- there are two short web straps with tightening buckles on either side of that pocket- what are THEY for?

Question #3- When you fold the panniers down, there's an elastic drawstring with tightener on the bottom. Almost as if someone said "Let's put something dangly to get caught in the spokes here just for grins!" So what's it for? I see one of the tubes on my rack projects where you could put that little loop over it, are all racks made that way, and is that what it's for?

Question #4- on the flap that folds down, there is a strap with velcro on, and a matching strip on the pannier. As in the picture below:

Now, logically, I would deduce that was to hold the flap and the pannier together so they didn't flap in the breeze. Except that the locations are shifted, so the velcro straps don't hit each other unless the pannier is bunched up in the being-closed position, as below:

And, if that was to keep them together, the strap wouldn't be needed. So just what IS that velcro and that strap there for?

Question #5- there is a padded flap on the bottom of the inside, which is sewn along half of one side. You can fold one end up as shown, but there's not really anything to hold it in place. Or you can fold the flap up along one side, but I can't think why you'd want to. Any ideas what that is intended for, and why it's made that way?

Now, go spend a few hours meditating on these vital matters and let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-03-12, 03:20 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Answer #1 - That's for a round of cheese.

Answer #2 - They're to help tighten up that back pocket once you've eaten half the cheese.

Answer #3 - I'd have to see it in a zoomed out photo.

Answer #4 - As above

Answer #5 - So you can keep your crackers in one section and olives in the other ... to go along with your cheese of course.
Old 02-03-12, 07:05 AM

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
#3 - as you suspected this is to strap the pannier to the bottom of the rack so it does not bounce around.

P2
Old 02-03-12, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I looked at that model also and found problems with the design. I went with a tour it rack and bag
https://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-...ag-p-1617.html

Then i got the panniers but needed to put the two together because each had a rack mount
https://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-...rs-p-1610.html

so it wound up looking like this. I like this set up because i can just un-clip it and pull the pannier and bag to the tent ( see pix below)

This is where i got the best deal with rack and pannier https://www.sierratradingpost.com/cycling-bags-and-bike-racks~d~42/

other suggestions

https://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-...rs-p-1610.html

https://www.amazon.com/Litre-Rear-Bic...050897&sr=1-83

https://www.bikebagshop.com/vaude-sil...ag-p-1785.html

here is a place to look at a few more options https://www.bicyclewarehouse.com/prod.../?startRow=101
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0134.jpg (90.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Jamesw2; 02-03-12 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-03-12, 08:26 AM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my next step for tools and batteries for the lights https://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-...ack-p-1614.htm

lhttps://www.bikebagshop.com/racktime-trunkit-front-racktop-bag-p-1949.html
Old 02-03-12, 06:58 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Question 1: Yup - it'll hold a small water bottle or flask, although you might also find it handy for something else like a spare pair of gloves. Personally I'd probably use it to store a bottle of rubbing alcohol, which can be used as cooking fuel as well as a disinfectant and/or hygienic wash. A wash cloth could hang off the end there and quickly dry on the open air. The loop on the end is intended for a clip-on rear light but you can clip extras to it too.

Question 2: The V-shaped cinch straps will just take up slack depending on what you end up putting in that end pouch. The cord around the top isn't enough to keep from losing the contents on its own.

Question 3: That bag can be used with either a regular rack or a post mounted beam rack with side frames, but in either case the elastic cords will anchor to the bottom hook on each side to keep things stable.

Question 4: The velcros should line up when you store the side bags and leave you with a small inside pocket and none on the outside. When the side pockets are deployed the function of the outside panel is simply as a stiffener behind the side bag.

Question 5: It's just a divider, and uses the bag contents for support, eliminating the weight and expense of zippers to attach it to the sidewalls.

Can't tell from the photo if you got the rail mounted model or the strap mounted model but it's a nice bag for light touring or commuting. How do you like it?

Old 02-03-12, 08:43 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I got the strap mounted version, had to order it from the local bike store. I like it, but haven't used it yet, either. It's for a new tandem that should be in here in a couple of weeks. It's for randonneuring, so it'll hold bike-repair stuff and extra clothing layers. I expect the panniers will stay folded up about 95% of the time, but I wanted the extra room just in case.
Old 02-04-12, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I have an earlier generation bag without the drop-down panniers. I use the rear-most pocket for keeping inner tubes x 3 rolled and stacked on top of each other. Or a small pouch with tools on the bottom and a rolled tube on top. That means those items are easily accessible.

Can't help with the other stuff because the concept just doesn't appeal to me compared with the earlier, non-pannier models.

What are you using as the rack? I think these bags are designed specifically for the seat-post rack with side frames that project down the same distance as the panniers roll out (the side frames actually are quite shallow in depth). Trying to fit the panniers to a standard rack might now be as easy because of the different dimensions.
Old 02-04-12, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I got the strap mounted version, had to order it from the local bike store. I like it, but haven't used it yet, either. It's for a new tandem that should be in here in a couple of weeks. It's for randonneuring, so it'll hold bike-repair stuff and extra clothing layers. I expect the panniers will stay folded up about 95% of the time, but I wanted the extra room just in case.
My wife and I have the earlier versions of this bag with the dovetailed rack where the bag slides into the rack and locks. Main bag holds tools, camera and some odds and ends. The big side bags hold an extra water bottle for each of us. This time of year we keep extra gloves and clothing items.

We found that when we use the bikes to go to IKEA each pannier bag will hold two boxes of ginger snaps. We also haul craft bread back from Manayunk in the side bags. The little pocket on the bag of the bags hold an extra tube or a bottle of Snapple or vitamin water. We have used these bags for several years now without problems.
Old 02-05-12, 11:58 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
This is why I make my own Panniers out of Coroplast sheet stock.
Old 02-05-12, 01:22 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Even for a "slow" night people talk about the strangest stuff................

Billions of dollars of internet technology at our fingertips and the talk is about a bag.

Have we become that jaded and spoiled??

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 02-05-12, 02:51 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Even for a "slow" night people talk about the strangest stuff................

Billions of dollars of internet technology at our fingertips and the talk is about a bag.

Have we become that jaded and spoiled??
LOL seriously - there's more computing power in the last few generations of X-Boxes than NASA used to put the first man on the moon.
But I'd MUTCH rather this post than the one from the guy who thinks its OK to install headset races with a hammer.
Old 02-05-12, 03:10 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could always talk about valve stem caps.
Old 02-05-12, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
LOL seriously - there's more computing power in the last few generations of X-Boxes than NASA used to put the first man on the moon.
But I'd MUTCH rather this post than the one from the guy who thinks its OK to install headset races with a hammer.
There is more computing power in the first generations as well, or more computing power in programmable calculators.

i have a similar bag made by Axiom and as stated the straps on the sides are just begging to get caught in spokes, I lost one the very first use.
Old 02-06-12, 06:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most racks that I've ever had have a place on the bottom on the side of the rack to attach these straps. They just keep panniers from bouncing around. Topeak sells a seat post mount rack without the sides but also sells the sides as an add on if you plan on using one of their bags with the drop down panniers.
Old 02-06-12, 07:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ht=topeak+bags
previous thread about topeak bags.