Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Giant Roam 0 for a clyde?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 09:10 AM

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker 700c w/ Tiagra Conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant Roam 0 for a clyde?

After going back and forth for over a year about what to buy I am finally ready. I think. I'm currently 280 (down 70 from this time last year) 6'3. I really like the Giant Roam 0 but was hoping to get some input on wether or not it would be good for a guy my size for some road riding as well as some light trail stuff? Thoughts? If there is something similar price and spec wise you think would be better, let me know.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-04-12, 11:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any of the mtn bikes in that price range will work just fine man. I started riding at about your weight and road a lightweight carbon road bike w/no problems. The only issue I've had (and I dont think you'll have it w/the wheelset on the roam) is wheels going out of true and breaking. The wheelsets on mountain bikes like the roam are built pretty tough. I'd go ride the ones in your price range and pick the best feeling one.
Old 02-04-12, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only suggestions I have is if you have problems with the back rim, go with DT spokes. They are heavier and better quality. I am a lot heavier then you so you might not have that issue. Also, if you decide to put panniers on it for commuting like I did with my roam, the extra weight will contribute to the hardship on the back tire.
Old 02-12-12, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll have to remember the DT spokes. I'm a big dude (350) and I plan on picking up a Roam 1 in the coming week.
Old 02-13-12, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DT spokes are the key! Also look for a 36 spoke wheel if you can.
Old 02-13-12, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Giant Rapid 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on losing 70 pounds in one year. That is a big achievement!

I was where you are now about a year ago in both weight and bike purchase decision. I was split between a road fitness bike or a light trail bike like the Roam. I ended up getting a Giant Rapid 2 because for me I wanted a more road configured fitness bike that would allow me to focus on cardio training as part of a weight loss and fitness routine. I am glad I went with the road fitness bike because it is better suited to the longer riding workouts needed for my workout objectives (cardio, weight & fitness). So it really depends on your riding objective. Road riding for fitness or light trail riding for fun. For me personally, I think a single bike to do both probably wouldn’t be the best choice for either.

Last edited by MiamiBoy; 02-13-12 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 04:42 AM
Watching and waiting.

Bikes: Trek 7300 Trek Madone 4.5 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome