Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cycling from Mexico to Argentina 2006

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-04, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cycling from Mexico to Argentina

I'm looking for some people to hook up with, to do a cycling trip early 2006.

I know it’ll be quiet hard to find people who are serious about doing this, so I am flexible on routes and the time scale. As I’m now 30 something I plan to take a fairly relaxed and easy going approach, but have a pretty good idea of what’s involved after doing a big overland motorbike trip a few years ago.

You’re looking at maybe spending around £2000-£3000 on the bicycle, panniers, tent, stove, sleeping bag, flights, visas, spares and so on, which all adds up, PLUS something like £10-£20 a day, then money to live on when you get back and some emergency cash for good measure. Distance wise you’re looking at around 5000-6000 miles, 50–70 miles a day, which will take around 5 hours, setting off at sunrise. I’m not in a great hurry so reckon on taking around 6 to 9 months.

You don’t need to be a cyclist, I’m not really and you can build up your fitness as you go. You will need a certain amount of determination though, as it will be tough going at times, with lots of camping and few creature comforts. Although the pay back is obvious, as the scenery is unbelievable and part of the trip will involve taking the bikes on boats through the rain forests where there are no roads. It is totally possible, it’s just a matter of saving up and a bit of planning and then 50 miles a day.

Argentina
Uruguay
Chile
Paraguay
Brazil
Bolivia
Peru
Ecuador
Columbia
Venezuela
Guyana
Suriname
Panama
Costa Rica
Nicaragua
Honduras
El Salvador
Guatemala
Belize
Mexico

Please email me at Iain_Campbell_Davis@btopenworld.com - I'm located in the UK London.