Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

los Angeles to Las Vegas... Input needed for a rookie

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,
First off thanks to each and every one of you for all of your input to this forum. I have learned a lot!

Now, on to my questions

Looking to commute from los angeles to las vegas by bike. I have a comfortable bike where I can ride probably 80 miles per day so the trip in total will be 3 days with ample time for R and R. This it not a race, simply a journey/vacation.

I am looking up laws for california roads but I am unclear on whether I can ride on the shoulder of the 15 freeway... this will be pretty imperative for the journey no??

Do any of you have any input or advice on california laws regulations etc?? I have this trip scheduled for March so I have plenty of time to plan. I will check this thread DAILY so any input is welcome.

any OTHER advice is also welcomed!!! Thanks
Old 02-08-12, 06:03 PM

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Caltrans Bicycle Coordinator for the area you're riding through should be able to answer the question as to whether bicycles are allowed on any of California's part of I-15. Not positive, but I believe you'll be riding through District 8. If that's the case, Mark Roberts is the guy. Click here for a listing of all Caltrans Bicycle Coordinators for each District, with contact info. Map of all Caltrans districts here.

I know many have ridden to Las Vegas from Southern Cal without riding on I-15 at all, but couldn't tell you what routes they've taken. Maybe search Crazyguyonabike for some possible routes.
Old 02-08-12, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The answer most likely will be NO. Even in states that allow interstate riding, not CA, it is usually forbidden on urban freeways. For good reason.

As for routing out of LA, Google maps, cycling option, can be your friend, used with common sense. Will direct you to bike paths as available. Tedious, but doable.

Check out city bus routes to see how far east they'd take you.

For <$100, a Garmin Nuvi gps will talk you out of LA. Set it to Bicycle mode.

This is a frequently asked question, exiting LA. Never an easy answer.

Last edited by Cyclebum; 02-08-12 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 07:00 PM
Charles Ramsey

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Federal law written around 1870 states any Indian trail or wagon road in common use shall be defined as public land these roads cannot be closed nor can tolls be charged for the use of these roads. Basically if an interstate is build over an old road then they have to allow traffic on it. Don't expect caltrans to know this. Try to find parallel routes. A state trouper tried to kick me off the morman trail I have an apology from the governor. Illinois must have been warned I was coming because I cycled 70 miles along an interstate with out being bothered. You should also know every law attempting to keep horses and buggies of the roads including the interstates has been overturned using the religious clause of the constitution.

Old 02-08-12, 07:52 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
Five year old link but it gives some pointers to try in asking the question: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...socal-to-vegas
Old 02-10-12, 05:58 AM

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo 1982 Ritchey Mtn Bike 2009 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In California, if there no alternative route riding the shoulder of a freeway is permissable. The bicyclist must get off the freeway on every exit.

I think there are several sections of I-15 that have no alternate route.
Old 02-10-12, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
California has signs when entering the freeway that tell you if it permitted or not.If it doesn't say "no unmotorized vehicles" on the sign,you can ride on it.Then once on the freeway,you need to pay attention to the signs at every offramp,they will tell you when to exit.

If you look to one side or the other and see a road,chances are you where suppose to exit at some point.

I-15 has many sections which can be ridden because there is no other way.If you look closely at google maps,you will see side roads that follow I-15.You will be jumping on-off of them in your travels to Vegas,if you chose I-15.

CHP might stop you if they see you,not that it's wrong but they don't see many bicycles on I-15,they'll just be checking your sanity.

Speed limit is 75 through the desert,trust me,THAT"S the MINIMUM speed!I've had semi's pass me in a car while I was doing 100mph!

I wander around alot by bicycle in the desert in that area and I WOULD NOT! ride on I-15.The choice is yours,but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AGAINST IT! Been there,done that!

Follow my route in commuting and you won't age 10 years by the time you get to Vegas.

If you do take 15,bring earplugs,the sound can get to you after awhile.

Be Safe,Have Fun,Win Money!

Last edited by Booger1; 02-10-12 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 12:24 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
California has signs when entering the freeway that tell you if it permitted or not.If it doesn't say "no unmotorized vehicles" on the sign,you can ride on it.Then once on the freeway,you need to pay attention the the signs at every offramp,they will tell you when to exit.
Good info. I was under the impression, from reading a few journals, there was no leniency. There isn't in a lot of states, mostly eastern.

In Texas, the 'if no other reasonable route' applies. In reality, outside urban centers, the rule is rarely enforced even when there is an alternate.

In NM, I entered a 'forbidden' by signage interstate 'cause I could see no other way to get to CO from Raton. 3 patrol cars passed me with not even a howdy do.

Last edited by Cyclebum; 02-12-12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 07:00 PM
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
You can do most of the ride without riding on I-15. It's not as direct, obviously, but it's much more interesting. The route can be a bit complicated but essentially go through Kelso. Riding is legal on the parts of I-15 that do not have a reasonable alternate such as between Yates Well Rd and Stateline among other stretches.