Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever gotten medical ins. to buy them a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 02:58 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

I just ran across this article:
https://www.charter.net/news/read.php...org%3E&ps=1019

I was just curious if anyone has ever gotten a doctor to actually write a prescription for exercise and been able to get insurance to cover the initial equipment, whether a bike, or running shoes, or even a gym membership?

No, I'm not trying to do it, just curious.
Old 02-09-12, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time that I saw insurance pay for something like that was in a few worker's compensation cases in the chemical plant I had worked in. Usually only long enough to restore mobility to get the person back to work. Once able to return to work the paid gym time ended.

The other week I had the staff in the LBS laughing. Last June my wife and I did our age rides. That being 70 miles in one day. When we returned home and got the bikes and gear away I checked the mail box. Oh Boy! A brochure for an electric scooter chair which might be paid by Medicare and my secondary insurer. Under Medicare we have an entitlement to a certain degree of mobility. Could I convince a doctor that my aluminum frame hybrid is too heavy to give me the proper degree of mobility so a Medicare paid for Trek Madone would help give me greater mobility. I was told that if I could pull something like that off I would be a hero.
Old 02-09-12, 08:45 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
While they're at it, maybe they can get the medical insurance company to buy them healthy organic foods. That will certainly help keep down healthcare costs

Old 02-09-12, 08:45 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Originally Posted by Whiteknight
Could I convince a doctor that my aluminum frame hybrid is too heavy to give me the proper degree of mobility so a Medicare paid for Trek Madone would help give me greater mobility. I was told that if I could pull something like that off I would be a hero.
That's what I'm talking about! Just happens to be a scooter with a carbon fiber frame and Dura ace drivetrain. It's all in the presentation.
Old 02-09-12, 08:50 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I just ran across this article:
https://www.charter.net/news/read.php...org%3E&ps=1019

I was just curious if anyone has ever gotten a doctor to actually write a prescription for exercise and been able to get insurance to cover the initial equipment, whether a bike, or running shoes, or even a gym membership?

No, I'm not trying to do it, just curious.
Yes. Kind of, anyway. My wife has fibromyalgia. The doctor prescribed exercise. We bought a NordicTrack elliptical and submitted the bill with the prescription to my medical spending account, and they paid it.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-09-12, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not a bike, but when I needed rehab, they did pay for gym membership. I don't have any sympathy at all for health insurers, but ripping them off for a bicycle seems cheesy.
Old 02-09-12, 10:52 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Geez, you guys know how to present a case. All I got was a wheelchair, and that was a rental. Happy to say I only needed it for a couple of weeks. Oh, there was a deductable, too.
Old 02-09-12, 10:56 PM
Carpe Velo

Originally Posted by Velo Dog
I don't have any sympathy at all for health insurers, but ripping them off for a bicycle seems cheesy.
Well yeah, it is. But I'm just talking theory here.
Old 02-10-12, 01:17 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Un huh.
Old 02-10-12, 01:53 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Expect, if anything, the budget would be for a BSO.

more likely Script would read : go for a 20 minute walk at least 4x a week.
Old 02-10-12, 04:15 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Prior to knee surgery last July I asked my sports med doc to write a prescription for a trainer (my PT was to ride the bike inside for 3+ weeks). He said it wasn't a problem and that he does it all the time. I wanted the prescription for taxes, not insurance. My tax guy said it is a legitimate deduction.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.