Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Yet Another "Yet Another Saddle Thread"

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-12, 12:02 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Yet Another "Yet Another Saddle Thread"

It looks like y'all haven't had one in awhile.

I'm currently on two bikes, either one might go for LD rides. #1 is a cross bike set up for touring, and that is doing fine with a standard Brooks B17.

The second one is more aggressive, a Specialized Allez with the bars a fair amount below the saddle. I've tried a few different saddles without much luck, including a B17N, and an Allez Toupe (143mm iirc). No luck yet.

I'm also not a particularly big person, but it seems like a lot of roadie-style saddles are too wide for my sit-bones, and the B17 is the right width. The Toupe comes close but feels a bit too harsh.

So, suggestions on a saddle that is fairly wide but also good for more aggressive positions?

And if I go for another Brooks, do I still want to tip the nose up when the bars are lower than the saddle?
Old 02-11-12, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring 52/20 2008 Trek 1.2 Road Bike 1998 Canondale M800 Mountain Bike 1965 Schwinn Spitfire Cruiser 1979 Schwinn Varisty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using a Specialized Body Geometry Phenom on my Trek, and it works great. The saddle is so comfortable that I did a century the same day I purchased this saddle (I did got sore after 80 miles, but I think that is pretty understandable to me) I've since put a lot of miles on it and even thought it's technically a mountain bike saddle it works great for me. All specialized saddles are available in custo widths. I attached a pic for reference.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=64259

I'm also interested in the selle an-atomica saddles to replace my B-17 on my steel bike.
https://www.selleanatomica.com/
Attached Images
Old 02-12-12, 10:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Selle Anatomica in brown is on sale for $100 on their website. it's a big savings and worth a try if you like a b17 but want to go lower and longer.
Old 02-13-12, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My saddles of choice are SMP
the SMP Extra if I'm going to do a multi day ride (a little more padding)
the SMP Glider for aggressive 'balls to the wall' bangers

IMO the 'wider' saddles are a marketing thing- wide saddles cut leg power for some people and aren't necesarily more comfortable. The Selle Anatomica did that to an obvious degree for me. I was a little hesitant to try the SMP initially because it was narrower than anything that I had used in the past. But when the saddle is positioned correctly, the pelvis is repositioned slightly and that reduces hotspots and back strain (and I'm convinced that repositioning also helps to increase efficiency of the quads). I like the Glider for banger day rides because its shape allows me to get aggressive with my bike: dig deep in aero and work hard with my hip muscles (which is a sensation that I find difficult to do with a flat/wide platform type saddle)
cheers

Last edited by Sekhem; 02-13-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 03:05 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Have you tried a Brooks Team Pro? It's a bit narrower than the B17 and better suited for a more aggressive riding position.
Old 02-13-12, 09:43 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Have Performance Forte Classic on all my bikes:
https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...9_20000_400195
So far no time limit. Certainly 15 hours, easily. Remarkable for such a cheap saddle. My problems are finding an narrow enough nose and nose-to-rear transition, and smooth roll-off between seat and sides, which causes chafing for me.
Old 02-14-12, 03:15 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I'm also interested in the selle an-atomica saddles to replace my B-17 on my steel bike.
https://www.selleanatomica.com/ "

I've been riding a selle-an-atomica saddle for a few months now. I did my first century ride on it on Saturday, and I'm not completely sold. Not an uncomfortable moment on the saddle, and not so much as an ache in the butt afterward. Definitely the best long distance saddle I've ever ridden. I wish it were prettier, cheaper, and lighter, but in the end it's my first choice.

Last edited by bernmart; 02-14-12 at 03:16 PM. Reason: punctuation