Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

What works for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 02:49 PM
fishologist

Bikes: Diamondback MTB; Leader 736R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What works for me

We do alot about nutrition and diet on here. This is what works for me and it is very simple...however, I do fall off the train from time to time

lean meats-doesn't matter what, fish, turkey, chicken, buffalo, beef
Vegetables-pretty much any of them except the root veggies
fruit-1 or 2 servings...typically berries
move...it doesn't matter what...walk, ride, play with the dog.

When I eat this way I 1) lose weight, 2) decrease BP, and 3) maintain glucose levels in normal range.

What works for you?

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R
www.cohocyclist.blogspot.com
https://www.loopd.com/members/cohocyclist/Default.aspx

Old 02-13-12, 03:18 PM
Am I evil? I am Man!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I pretty much try to eat the same way as you. But with the veggies, I also cut out corn. I also try not to eat red meat too often, and like more soy or tofu substatutes. I just tend to fall of when I reduce my carbs down to next to nothing. So I brought back whole grains, and some other carbs stuff. Moderation is the key, not total elimination.
Old 02-13-12, 03:27 PM

Bikes: '10 Trek 1.1, '11 Specialized Tricross Sport, '12 Gravity G29 SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although my wife and I are not diabetic, we follow the dtour diet plan.
Old 02-13-12, 05:20 PM
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tip: Add beans (kidney and lima are best) and nuts to your diet. Beans are the best diet food ever. Great source of slow digesting carbohydrates.
Old 02-13-12, 05:44 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Pretty much same as what you said with the additional caveat of keeping daily calorie intake under control and limiting beer.

I'll get back to you in June as to how it's working but so far so good.
Old 02-13-12, 11:55 PM

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been following a more protein less carb diet lately. Beer is my downfall as I homebrew, but I have cut back on that, too. Once spring gets here I will be biking enough to offset a beer a day, which actually (since I drink mostly homebrew/non-filtered wheat beers) is very very good for you.

I found a way to curve my soda cravings, too. Sparkling water (seltzer water, sparkling mineral water, etc). Zero calories, its carbonated water with natural flavors. When I want a soda, I grab a can of sparkling water and it fits the bill!
Old 02-14-12, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
I have been following a more protein less carb diet lately. Beer is my downfall as I homebrew, but I have cut back on that, too. Once spring gets here I will be biking enough to offset a beer a day, which actually (since I drink mostly homebrew/non-filtered wheat beers) is very very good for you.

I found a way to curve my soda cravings, too. Sparkling water (seltzer water, sparkling mineral water, etc). Zero calories, its carbonated water with natural flavors. When I want a soda, I grab a can of sparkling water and it fits the bill!
Sorry, but I missed how much is that "beer a day" you mention?
Old 02-14-12, 09:59 AM

Bikes: Sott Scale 29er, Specialized SL3 Roubaix, Colnago C59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looseit.com - To me it's amazing when I started logging all of my calories with the intent of staying under a specific goal, to consume a satisfying amount of food I quickly learnd to gravitate to foods with a low caloric density.

Chicken, fish, veggies, beans, friuts, etc
Old 02-14-12, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I track every single thing I eat with the LoseIt iPhone app, including exercise, which keeps me honest and on track. As far as actual intake this is what I usually have every day:

Breakfast
- 2 Morningstar Farms sausage patties
- 1 tablespoon Organic Ketchup

Lunch
- 3 grilled chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli

Dinner
Option 1
- Soup
- Grilled cheese with lean turkey
Option 2
- Lean meat
- veggies/salad

Snacks
- Mega smoothie:
  • 2 Frozen Bananas
  • 2 Cups Pineapple
  • 1 Cup Orange Juice
  • 1 Muscle Milk Protein Scoop
If we go out to eat I have a number of preselected meals I can have depending on the place. I try to drink 3-6L of water a day too and do at least an hour of exercise every day (weights, elliptical, cycling) and cycle at least 20 minutes every day.
Old 02-14-12, 10:38 AM
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
I went on Weight Watchers online and am in my fourth week. First three weeks I lost 8 lbs. The WW program not only reduces calories but steers a person to healthier food choices, like whole grains, fiber, lean meats, etc. It's quite a learning experience. My 3-1/2 weeks on the program aren't enough to make an informed judgement, however it seems to be working in its initial stages.
Old 02-14-12, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Sorry, but I missed how much is that "beer a day" you mention?
My "beer a day" is either a 12oz homebrew or 16.9oz german wheat beer. But lately its more like "beer every other day or two"

In no way, shape, or form, do I even suggest drinking American swill "beer". Sam Adams is about as low as I go anymore, and I won't touch their boston lager. If your going to spend part of your calories on beer, might as well make it flavorful and go with a microbrew!
Old 02-14-12, 12:44 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
mmmm beer. 1 Boston Lager gives me a hang over and I have no idea why. It always has. The other Sam Adams beers are generally OK, although the light beer reminds me of Genny cream ale, and not in a good way. I remember road tripping to Boston back in the 80s to get more Sam when I ran out (went to college in upstate NY). Those road trips alternated with trips to Canada to get Canadian beer. I'm on an IPA kick lately, or at least a PA and Stone Brewing punches that ticket for me, but I'm down to about 2 beers a week, maybe less. Less recycling to do that way.
Old 02-14-12, 12:53 PM

Bikes: '10 Trek 1.1, '11 Specialized Tricross Sport, '12 Gravity G29 SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 beers a week. Pint of Tallgrass Brewery Buffalo Sweat on Friday night and a Velvet Rooster on Saturday night. Or vise versa so I don't get in rut . More than a pint, I feel bloated.

Last edited by boy scout 161; 02-14-12 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-14-12, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
protein in the form of eggs, and other lean protein like fish, chicken, etc. I do occionally have red meat.

Carbs: I dont each much bread. Maybe a sandwich here and there. Same with pasta. Dont crave it much anymore. I love cous cous, lentils, beans, etc.

Sweets: Sometimes... sometimes not. Learning more about portioning.

Weight Watchers has opened up my eyes to better eating habits and, most importantly, portion control.

Veggies and fruit. A crap load. Love them.
Old 02-14-12, 03:08 PM
fishologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting...I assume most of you heard about the amount of salt in bread. I haven't really reviewed the article but I wonder if that includes high grain bread like Dave's Killer Bread

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R

Old 02-14-12, 03:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could disagree with a lot of salt in bread. I was a commerical bread baker for a while and salt never goes about 2% of the formula. It is just to kill off the yeast.

Just my two cents

p.s. it does not take into consideration any salt put on top of the bread after it bakes. Only some bread has this and they tend to be artisan bread.
Old 02-14-12, 03:27 PM

Bikes: Scattante road bike, Sporterra hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
protein in the form of eggs, and other lean protein like fish, chicken, etc. I do occionally have red meat.

Carbs: I dont each much bread. Maybe a sandwich here and there. Same with pasta. Dont crave it much anymore. I love cous cous, lentils, beans, etc.

Sweets: Sometimes... sometimes not. Learning more about portioning.

Weight Watchers has opened up my eyes to better eating habits and, most importantly, portion control.

Veggies and fruit. A crap load. Love them.

Quite literally! They keep things movin'!
Old 02-14-12, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I homebrew
I did that for years and enjoyed it. But, the amount I was drinking was slowly climbing. It started at the equivalent of 1 beer a day and went quite a long ways up from that. I finally decided that's enough and got rid of the equipment.

There have been a lot of statistics in the last year linking alcohol to cancer which was totally out of the blue for me. I had never even thought of that. And the sad part is that they are different from smoking stats.

If you quit smoking, your chances of cancer start to decline as time goes on. Not with alcohol. I don't even go near the stuff now.

salt never goes about 2% of the formula. It is just to kill off the yeast.
I didn't realize it had a function other than taste. Why does the yeast need to be killed off? (sounds interesting)

2% does seem high for salt in a food, at least to me. Fortunately I only have 2 slices of a very good bread a day and and it's not a personal problem. I dropped my salt consumption drastically at one point (getting ever healthier) and then read that too little salt causes problems too.
Old 02-14-12, 05:06 PM
fishologist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could disagree with a lot of salt in bread. I was a commerical bread baker for a while and salt never goes about 2% of the formula. It is just to kill off the yeast.

Just my two cents

p.s. it does not take into consideration any salt put on top of the bread after it bakes. Only some bread has this and they tend to be artisan bread.
Just what I heard on some of the news outlets...

1990 Diamond Back MTB
2007 Leader 736R

Old 02-14-12, 06:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
closed office: The 2% is not much at all. Some meals you eat have 10% or higher.

If the yeast doesnt get ******** and slow down it will create too much gas and make the bread taste musty. The salt prevents the yeast from growing too much and aids in killing it once it hits the right temperature in the oven.
Old 02-15-12, 12:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Closed Office
I did that for years and enjoyed it. But, the amount I was drinking was slowly climbing. It started at the equivalent of 1 beer a day and went quite a long ways up from that. I finally decided that's enough and got rid of the equipment.

There have been a lot of statistics in the last year linking alcohol to cancer which was totally out of the blue for me. I had never even thought of that. And the sad part is that they are different from smoking stats.

If you quit smoking, your chances of cancer start to decline as time goes on. Not with alcohol. I don't even go near the stuff now.
Yes, but just how much alcohol intake does it take to get cancer from it? I would think alcoholics would have a FAR higher risk than a guy enjoying a brew here and there. Beer has been being drank for many centuries now, its just fine in moderation! And I think the "beer a day" article I read on Yahoo actually mentioned it could prevent certain types of cancer...
Old 02-15-12, 12:07 AM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but just how much alcohol intake does it take to get cancer from it? I would think alcoholics would have a FAR higher risk than a guy enjoying a brew here and there. Beer has been being drank for many centuries now, its just fine in moderation! And I think the "beer a day" article I read on Yahoo actually mentioned it could prevent certain types of cancer...
Living gives you cancer...... just saying , if you like a drink have it just in moderation.

moderation is the key to everything or so i am told

Edit: I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who has or knows someone with cancer. My father who has been told he has cancer ( goes back later for more test) told me , Life gives you cancer don't let it limit you. Then again he also told me water is dirty horrible stuff because fish do bad things in it
Old 02-15-12, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cohophysh
Interesting...I assume most of you heard about the amount of salt in bread. I haven't really reviewed the article but I wonder if that includes high grain bread like Dave's Killer Bread
The one thing that struck me about bread in the US was how sweet it tasted. We tried several different brands (don't ask me which because I can't remember), and it didn't seem to make much difference if it was in Iowa or California.
Old 02-20-12, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but just how much alcohol intake does it take to get cancer from it?
Statistically, with just a drink or 2 a day, your life expectancy increases. The heart and stroke rate goes way down for people who drink that much.

I don't know if 1 or 2 a day would contribute to cancer at all. If it does, I wouldn't expect it to be by much. It does go up with the amount you drink. Unfortunately I've put away tons of the stuff. It's a whole story, but any drink at all now might be enough to put me past the tipping point, if I haven't crossed it already.
Old 02-23-12, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Through out my life I had weight problem.

I have tried every diet, program etc Weight always came back.
I have realized only real way of losing weight for good is life style change. That is why Weight Watchers work.

However recently I have read two books. Those are not diet books, but are scientific studies. They suggest a diet based on the
results of scientific studies.

China Study - Dr Colin Campbell
Prevent and reverse Heart Disease - Dr Esselstyn

My family history is full of heart problems and death due to heart disease, so I gave it a try (the SCIENTIFIC evidence in the books is very powerful),
As I said it is a life style change, and I like it.

What they suggest worked for me, in the first 6 month I went down from 325 to 265 lbs.

If any of you have cholesterol and/or heart problems I highly recommend you to read the books above.
Then you can decide if its something you want to give it a try or not..

Last edited by MattinAZ; 02-23-12 at 10:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.