Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

A large magnitude of satisfaction from such a small feat!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-12, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Commuting to work generally is no big deal to those of us who annually ride something over 3000 miles, unless one has been inactive for well over ten weeks.

For personal reasons I have been off the bikes since the 25th of November. I finally started riding again on February 10th. Now that happens also to be the date that Winter started in Rochester this year.

If you ever allow yourself to get 50 pounds overweight and you allow your legs, lungs, and heart to get into a state of inferior conditioning, starting commuting in winter conditions can be a bit of an eye opener.

Friday the 10th was a calm and dry day but I thought I was going to die any way. After many rests and much huffing and puffing after leaving home I finally arrived at work. Four and a half miles never seemed to be that far before.

Saturday I felt a little stronger. I only stopped to rest once and though the ride home was icy and a little snowy it seemed to go quite well.

Sunday was an eye opener. We got over a foot of 'Lake Effect' Snow over night and the ride in and back home was a tad bit exciting. I felt a little stronger though and did not need to stop and rest.

Monday found Rochester in a lovely and sunny thaw. Though I had bare pavement all the way to work I also had a buffeting head wind all the way in to work. I had to stop to rest twice. That was kind of disheartening.

So what was the small feat? I actually commuted to work an entire week without driving our car, in winter weather no less. I feel as proud of myself as if I had circumnavigated the globe. I'll bask in the glow of my little triumph for a few days but I know it wont last. Before I know it the commute will just be a daily part of my life again and I'll be out there attacking larger windmills. Until that time arrives though, it feels good to be me!!
Old 02-13-12, 06:58 PM

Bikes: Sirrus Comp Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GREAT job Cranky!! nice to have you back on those Rochester roads in the winter. I rode friday and monday but did not brave that winter mess saturday or sunday. We had between 12 and 15 inches of lake effect snow. I did get a 6 mile ride in after work tonight and will commute to work the rest of the week about 7 miles each way. I do have almost 200 miles in this year with the great weather we have had. this year I hope to keep up to you in miles. At least I have a small head start.
Old 02-13-12, 07:10 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffh2
....... this year I hope to keep up to you in miles. At least I have a small head start.
Challenge accepted!

You can track my miles over on bikejournal under the same user name I have here.

https://www.bikejournal.com/

I'm located in Charlotte, maybe we can log some of those miles together along with fellow BF member Gyro. He and I have adopted many of the same Cemetery, River Trail, lakeshore loops. The funny thing is...we did it independently of each other. It's a rare day that I ride those trails without coming across Gyro taking a similar ride!

Last edited by cranky old dude; 02-13-12 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-13-12, 07:33 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
And over on BikeJournal, I was delighted tonight, to record your first PCW (Perfect Commuting Week) in the Commuter Cycling Century Challenge.

I know how you've struggled with PCWs in the past. Here's hoping that's all behind you.
Old 02-13-12, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
You. Rock.

Seriously.

Old 02-13-12, 07:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
And over on BikeJournal, I was delighted tonight, to record your first PCW (Perfect Commuting Week) in the Commuter Cycling Century Challenge.

I know how you've struggled with PCWs in the past. Here's hoping that's all behind you.
Thanks Bruce!

We have sucessfully dealt with the main issue that was challanging my cycling opportunities over the past two years. I'm anxiously looking foreward to an increase in my saddle time this year.
Old 02-13-12, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
To help keep the legs moving, take a trip over to Holy Sepulchre. On the east west road that has roundabouts for each intersection, look for a dozen or so deer. They've been vacationing along there since early November. Seen them on every trip.
Old 02-14-12, 07:30 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Lenny,
Glad you are back on the bicycle. Hope the commutes and enjoyment rides stay safe for you.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-14-12, 11:56 AM
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
How's the wife doing?
Old 02-14-12, 06:48 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil85207
How's the wife doing?
She's mending well and is starting to get a little bit of spring back into her step. I can take my bikes out now and be totally confident that she can fend for herself around the house comfortably in my absence. A few days ago she actually went to the grociery store by herself to pick up just a few items. Prognosis is still excellent!

Thank you for asking.
Old 02-14-12, 07:47 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You do rock. I suspect you are like me (and maybe all of us). Someday I may be reduced to a walk around the block but I will embrace that with equal excitement and I will never give up. No matter how small the accomplishment, every one can lead to a bigger one. I also bike commute all winter not because it is comfortable or fun, but because I CAN.
Old 02-26-12, 06:50 PM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Hey Cranky and TSL...enjoy hearing your reports of riding in my hometown. Was born and raised in Rochester and lived there until I was in my early thirties and then job stuff slowly moved us south until we finally settled just north of Atlanta. In some ways Rochester will always be home but man I can tell you...I sure don't miss the winter months AT ALL. Ever consider moving to where the cycling options are a bit better? Of course if you still have close friends, family ties, health issues, etc. that may be hard. Still....I don't miss my snow shovel. Best to you both.

Steve
Old 02-26-12, 07:17 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone mentioned how much you rock???

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 02-26-12, 07:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Given your personal challenges lately, I am totally amazed. Outstanding!

So what was the small feat? I actually commuted to work an entire week without driving our car, in winter weather no less. I feel as proud of myself as if I had circumnavigated the globe. I'll bask in the glow of my little triumph for a few days but I know it wont last. Before I know it the commute will just be a daily part of my life again and I'll be out there attacking larger windmills. Until that time arrives though, it feels good to be me!!
Old 02-26-12, 07:52 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Originally Posted by smoore
Ever consider moving to where the cycling options are a bit better?
Not until I retire, which won't be for at least 12 years. The New York State Pension System is not portable, I have only 10 years paid in, so it's not worth much unless I keep at it. And 12 years isn't long enough to build up a 401(k).

Until I started cycling, I hated winter. Now I don't mind it so much. This winter I discovered that I miss the challenge of other winters. And I miss the changing landscape. I've been liking our rare snowfalls a lot this year since it covers up the brown.

As for snow shovels, I let the landlord take care of that.
Old 02-26-12, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Seriously.

Old 02-27-12, 05:02 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Aw gosh, it's just a bike ride.

TSL is car free....he rocks!

Personal followup note....10 work days since I got back on-board, 10 commutes by bike. It's actually starting to feel like a normal way to commute again. That didn't take too long!!
Old 02-27-12, 07:04 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Lenny,
As usual you are being modest but your plight and return is one of the reasons I keep on riding after I returned. Keep up the great work.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-27-12, 08:32 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by cranky old dude
TSL is car free....he rocks!
Nah, I'm just an old guy on a bike.

FWIW, I'm not even the only car-free old guy in my building. A guy in his 70s lives in the other wing. He's got a couple of old Schwinns in his apartment. A European immigrant, he cycles in the European style--upright bike, ordinary clothes, leather dress shoes. We're a study in contrasts. Since our schedules differ, he's usually got first tracks in the driveway.