Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replace v-brake with something else

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 12:57 AM
Just a commuter

Bikes: Scott Metrix 20 for commuting, Specialized Dolce Elite for fun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,
First time here, I usually hang out with the commuters so be kind.

After a short night-course in basic bike mechanics, I'm now one of those attempting to do everyting yourself and consequentely messing it up and ending up at my LBS' anyway.

That said: My partner has an old-ish (2005?) Specialized Sirrus Sport with V-brakes. I would like to upgrade these brakes with something that is a bit more easy to adjust (and that works better overall). Can I simply buy new brakes (whatever I can afford) and slap them on, or is it more to consider than that?

All input greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-17-12, 02:12 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SO are you trying to change to a different braking system or are you just wanting to change the brake pads? If you are trying to change to a different braking system like say disc brakes your frame/fork and wheelset would have to be compatible. If your looking to change the pads (which can give you much better stopping power if you get good pads) that is fairly simple and easy enough. People on this forum swear by koolstop salmon pads claiming that they brake much better than other stock or cheapy pads. Give a little more detail about what your trying to accomplish.
Old 02-17-12, 02:26 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
you could look into drum brakes.
Old 02-17-12, 02:37 AM
Just a commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, thanks for the swift replies!

I'm looking into upgrading to another type of rim brake, not disc or drum brake. Probably Tiagra since the gearing is Tiagra.
Old 02-17-12, 02:51 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crux, Schwinn Mesa

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tiagra is a groupset not a type of break the types of brakes are 1. cantilever 2. drum 3. v-brake 4. disc brake 5. caliper

tiagra road bikes would likely have a tiagra caliper brake is that what your thinking?
Old 02-17-12, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stockholm
That said: My partner has an old-ish (2005?) Specialized Sirrus Sport with V-brakes. I would like to upgrade these brakes with something that is a bit more easy to adjust (and that works better overall). Can I simply buy new brakes (whatever I can afford) and slap them on, or is it more to consider than that?...
2 options:
-upgrade to more expensive v-brakes, probably will get you something that works better but no less easy to adjust
-switch to traditional cantilevers, more power is possible but much more difficult to adjust; additionally will require different brake levers and adding cable hangers

going with first and more feasible option, buy some Avid Single Digit 7 v-brakes and some kool stop salmon pads for them.
Old 02-17-12, 03:14 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
As often as brakes need adjusting, I think you have a solution looking for a problem.

The front V brakes on my 2008 Specialized Globe would throw you over the bars if you weren't careful.
I went to the Kool Stop Wet-Dry (2 compounds) pads to reduce braking.

I think you need to look into the condition of the rim braking surface and current pads.
It'd be embarrassing to have your friend spend the money and have worse brakes.
Old 02-17-12, 03:15 AM
Just a commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, terminology! Vernacular! I need a brand new bicycling dictionary.

@Mondo734, yes I guess that's what I'm thinking. Like this: https://www.cyclecomponents.com/cgi-b...tnr=SHI1488-Fr

@xenologer i want to avoid the (what I call V-brake) setup. I much prefer the one in the link here. More "road bike-y".

Thanks all! I'm learning by doing and typing, so all this is very, very helpful.
Old 02-17-12, 03:25 AM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Is this the type brake you currently have?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vbrake-overallsm.jpg (68.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-17-12, 03:36 AM
Just a commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, exactly.

It all started because you needed to squeeze the brake really, really tight before it "took", almost crushing your fingers in the process. When I'd fixed that, I realized the pads were all out of whack and when I tried to align them, I lost the "grip" again... Hence my wish to get someting more simple. Maybe I'm just fooling myself, and all rim brakes are this hard?
Old 02-17-12, 03:51 AM
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the same problems with my old bike and took a fellow posters advice and bought a pair of Shimano v-brakes AND Shimano levers plus cables. They cost somewhere around 45 euros from CRC and after reading on how to PROPERLY adjust them with correct toe-in, there was a MASSIVE difference from the stock old brakes. Before looking into other technology, give a good set of V-brakes a chance, except if you need them for anything other than commuting.

Edit: Just remembered something... during last summer, a riding buddy of mine was totally unsatisfied with his brakes (v-brakes), and after fiddling around with them, I noticed that they were cheap quality, slightly warped and the return adjusters where frozen on the bodies. We ordered the cheapest set of Shimano v-brakes available, left the cheap levers on as they were still working and went out for a quick ride after installation/adjustment.
I remember the scene vividly went he went flying over the handlebars (without getting hurt thankfully!) because he was used to mashing on his old brakes! Keep in mind that he too was a Clydesdale at over 110-120kg!

Originally Posted by stockholm
needed to squeeze the brake really, really tight before it "took", almost crushing your fingers in the process.
A good set of v-brakes needs two fingers and little to medium pressure for normal stopping, anything above that should lock the back wheel and maybe the front one if you're light! (I'm at 125kg, so I haven't tried it yet! lol)

Last edited by Telly; 02-17-12 at 04:10 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
aligning v-brake pads is just as easy/difficult as the ones in your link; simple single bolt per pad; I see no benefit in changing over to a caliper style.

in fact there a a few reason not to; your current frame has mounting posts for v-brakes, the caliper brake you looked at does not mount using them, having the unused posts hanging around is going to be ugly
bigger issue, the caliper uses a different cable pull than your current v-brakes, in order to convert it you will need new brake levers as well.
Old 02-17-12, 04:09 AM
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
with v-brakes you should NEVER have to apply much hand pressure to get good braking. Actually, v-brakes are so high leverage that the opposite is usually the case.

I would suggest you have your cables and housing checked/replaced and see if your braking doesn't get a lot better....I'd bet it does.

Bike brakes are nothing magical, and v-brakes are probably the easiest to adjust other than a simple road brake. If your bike is designed for v-brakes, you should honestly be using v-brakes or cantilevers.....otherwise you have empty brake posts that looks really dumb, and you might not be able to find a long enough reach road brake anyway.
Old 02-17-12, 04:33 AM
Really Old Senior Member

You probably need a new set of pads and a little education-
https://sheldonbrown.com/canti-direct.html
Old 02-17-12, 04:50 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
there's definitely something wrong with either the cables, levers or brakes if V-brakes require a lot of strength to work.
If it's in good working condition, they can be worked with one or two fingers.

In fact, that's what you should get for any proper brake setup.

If you require a lot of strength to get the brakes to work, then from what I've seen, it's an issue of using linear pull levers with short pull cantilevers or calipers.
Old 02-17-12, 04:50 AM

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd second new pads. I swapped the pads on my (fairly rubbish) caliper brakes and they made a lot of difference. A lot of people use kool-stop pads. I'd swap the pads and set up the brakes from scratch. Changing to a different V-brake shouldn't make much difference.
Old 02-17-12, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I built some drum brake wheels a while ago as part of an attempt at a low maintenance winter bike. No surprises here: they are heavy, noticeably heavy, they can be overwhelmed by steep descents too. Really they are for commuter bikes.

V Brakes are light, cheap and simple. You could however change to metal cartridge carrier pads like these: https://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product...rake-pads.html

My LBS tells me that the metal backing results in the whole face of the pad better pressing against the rim. The best part about them is that once you have gone through the frig of adjusting them - all you have to do is keep feeding them new cartridges. You can get the cartridges quite cheap sometimes - or, I think you can get koolstop cartridges for them too.
Old 02-17-12, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Looking at the spec, that bike seems decent enough. There's no obvious reason why it should brake that poorly. Get new pads, clean the rims, do your homework on either Sheldon's site or Park Tools repair tips on brake set up.
If you're in Stockholm, and you can't get it right, I may be able to help.
Old 02-17-12, 06:39 AM

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Easier than V-Brakes? Considering the realm of choices (I can send you the U-Brakes off of my vintage 80's Diamond Back Arrival) including Canti's, U, V, etc. - I'd think that the V-brake wins for ease of adjustment and braking ability. New pads and you should be cookin'...
Old 02-17-12, 06:52 AM
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bike has an optimum type of braking system already. That is what I consider changing the brakes to if it had something else.

Don in Austin
Old 02-17-12, 07:38 AM
Just a commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, so the problem is me not getting the adjustments right. Bummer. I was hoping I could blame the material. I'll do my Sheldon homework and then I'll try again.

Thanks all for your input.
Old 02-17-12, 07:48 AM
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get new cables and cable housing, and some high-quality multi-condition pads. Adjust them properly, and V brakes are usually about the best brakes available.

Any other style of brake will require different brake levers than those used with V brakes.
Old 02-17-12, 08:45 AM

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by DCB0
Get new cables and cable housing, and some high-quality multi-condition pads. Adjust them properly, and V brakes are usually about the best brakes available.
Get lined housings and stainless steel cables. It is important that you install the housings and cables correctly. https://sheldonbrown.com/cables.html
Old 02-18-12, 01:14 AM
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
The brakes on a lot of Sirrus models are not standard V-brakes, but are instead mini V-brakes. I prefer the full-size V-brakes when possible, Avid SD5 or SD7 work well for me. If the current brakes are mini-Vs then the brake levers may have the cable pull for road brakes (about 22-25 mm between center of cable head and pivot point); if so, when changing to full-size V-brakes then you'll also need to change to levers with more cable pull (30+ mm from center of cable head to pivot point), which are the now the standard size for flat-bar levers; again Avid makes some good ones of these, I believe the model number is FR5
Old 02-18-12, 01:32 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
German Magura Hydraulic Rim Brakes are the best .. rim brake,
that uses V brake mounts. ... better than cable brakes..

After you get them installed... I don't know your mechanical aptitude.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.