Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Kids Getting New Bikes This Year?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-04, 11:44 PM

Bikes: 1978 Rampar R-10 BMX, 1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1999 Mongoose Hoop D, 2001 Schwinn Predator BMX, Generic Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone --

If your kids have outgrown their little bikes, it's a pretty good bet that you're replacing them at Christmas time. Once the transition is complete, the question is probably, "what the heck do I do with this old kids bike that doesn't fit anybody in my family?" I would like to suggest an answer.

As a volunteer with Bikes For Tykes of Puget Sound, I ask that you consider giving it away to a needy child in your area. If you're handy in the garage, it often takes only a few dollars at Wal-Mart to replace the tires and tubes (if needed), plus a little work to regrease the cranks, the wheel bearings, and the headset (probably needed no matter what). And WD-40 dripped on each link will put enough life back into an old chain that a child could really have some fun. There is no event equal to that of witnessing the smile of a child receiving a bike after living a life with little or nothing. As we all know, bicycling provides a high level of freedom and enjoyment. Giving that little bike to a needy child can truly get them pointed in the right direction.

So how does a person find someone who could use that old bike? Local community service organizations (like Salvation Army) often have tremendous needs for families in crisis. Sometimes an elementary school nurse is in a position to help kids in need, and I suspect most would welcome the offer of a ridable kid's bike -- or at least be able to point you towards someone who might need it. Foster Care advocacy organizations (like Olive Crest), Non-profit Head Start programs, teen counselors, homeless shelters, city/county summer programs, non-profit camps, are all examples of organizations who could use your bike donation.

A bike in the hands of an underprivileged child is a true heart warmer. I appreciate you taking the time to read this posting. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me -- Forum or PM. Thank you, and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-20-04, 12:32 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice post. I'd only add that this type of gesture is needed and welcomed at any time of the year.
Old 12-20-04, 01:18 PM

Bikes: 1978 Rampar R-10 BMX, 1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1999 Mongoose Hoop D, 2001 Schwinn Predator BMX, Generic Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's true. Our group works year round on this program, and we have found it's more rewarding to be at it all 12 months!