Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

what if you never improved anymore...satisfied?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-04, 08:07 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just for a moment, say your endurance, speed or recovery goals never advanced past where they are right now. would you be satisfied? would you still enjoy your riding and training?
Old 12-20-04, 09:07 AM
cut my gas use in half

Bikes: walmart beater, Dahon boardwalk, A bike, schwinn tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My transportation is my bike. Yes, if i never get faster, 7 to 10 mph gets me there...
Old 12-20-04, 09:19 AM
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Yes I think I would be fine. For me it isn't REALLY about going faster or even longer but I do have goals in both areas. I just want to ride and use riding to loose weight and spend time with my wife and son. The reality is that I am overweight enough that as I loose weight there is almost no way I am not going to improve my avg. speed especially with our topography.
Old 12-20-04, 09:22 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RiPHRaPH
just for a moment, say your endurance, speed or recovery goals never advanced past where they are right now. would you be satisfied? would you still enjoy your riding and training?
Age is beginning to run me up, and over that improvement-curve right now. I will, however, not go out without a serious fight! Regardless, when my performance does start to decline more rapidly with age, I will still have my own personal goals, and challenges to keep me motivated, and keep the experience enjoyable.
Old 12-20-04, 09:29 AM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use my bike primarily for transportation, so I don't think of riding in the same performance oriented terms as running or weight-lifting. I'm pretty satisfied with my abilities to ride long distances to see friends who marvel at the fact I got there on a bicycle. I could lose a few pounds, but I'm one of those people who could ALWAYS lose a few pounds! So I guess I'd be satisfied, I just love to ride and love bicycles, and the design and concept of bicycles. Truly the most efficient, practical and fun inventions humans have ever come up with!
Old 12-20-04, 09:36 AM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be the decenting opinion here... no I would not be satisfied if I could no longer improve. I am a strong rider now and I could stay where I am but I have so much potentional right now.

It all depends on what you do on your bike. When you want to race the minute you stop improving you are stuck in you catagory or you lose...
Old 12-20-04, 09:42 AM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
It all depends on what you do on your bike.
Exactly. That's one of the wonderful things about bicycles, how many different types of people get their needs met by basically the same machine!
Old 12-20-04, 09:44 AM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My goal is to continue doing it.
Old 12-20-04, 10:25 AM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Progression is what drives me. I would likely switch to another discipline. For me I switch between 3 parts of mountain biking, so there is always something improving.
Old 12-20-04, 11:07 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Disappointed? You bet. Six years ago I was a 17 mph rider, on a good day. But I've been working on that - a faster bike here, more quality miles there. Each year seems to be a little faster for me. A few years back, I managed to do a half century in 2:16, but I was toast afterward. The thought of a five-hour century was still too much to consider. Well, this year was my first attempt at a sub-5 century. I did 104 miles in 4:31, which is a 4:20 century! Woo hoo! I hope to do even better next year, at 49 I still have a few years left in the ol' legs!

The other part of the question: would I still enjoy cycling if I didn't improve? Absolutely! I'm in this because I enjoy cycling, not because I have to beat the clock.
Old 12-20-04, 11:22 AM
Nut Job

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today, my answer is no...I would not be satisfied.

Ask me this question again in about 2-3 years time. I've just been riding for a little over a year and I'm still progressing. There are lots of aspects I want to explore both on the road and trails...
Old 12-20-04, 11:41 AM
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I never looked at cycling from that angle so I was never concerned, although I noticed a general curve in my cycling performance over the years. I figured since I don't race, tracking performance was never an issue for me. My fun and health factors are the priorities here.
Old 12-20-04, 11:55 AM
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
At any given age, we all have a certain amount of potential. As long as I haven't maximized this potential (who has?) I will continue to seek improvement.

55/Rad
Old 12-20-04, 12:51 PM
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't be satisfied, still feel like theirs some major improving I could do.

Of course if my improvement just STOPPED, I would keep cycling. It's just so dang fun!
Old 12-20-04, 01:29 PM
Desert tortise

Bikes: Ibex Corrida LT 4.4 (2003), 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (Red)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm at an age (49 next month) where I know that I will be peaking soon (if I haven't already) in terms of speed and distance. I've done two centuries and about 12 metric centuries. I think my best average for those distances was about 15 mph. I don't forsee any big jumps in either of those categories. That's ok, as long as there are new places to go and new people to meet, I'm cool with that.
Old 12-20-04, 02:12 PM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting from point "A" to point "B" in one piece and having fun while doing it. As long as I can maintian that I'm happy. Of course new personal bests are fun too but not all that important.

'bent Brian
Old 12-20-04, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel 98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After a lifetime of training and competing in a few sports, my strength, endurance and recovery are starting to go downhill. My goal is to maintain my peak performance levels (and stay away from injuries).

So therefore, yes I would be satisfied if my performance remained the same as it is now. That would still let me work on skills and bike handling in technical terrain.
Old 12-20-04, 04:03 PM
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I guess for me (and other mountain bikers) it is different. Speed and distance don't mean as much to us and conquering certain sections or doing something new. I don't expect to progress forever in the speed and distance arena. But I can always learn something new or nail a section faster, or climb a technical section I couldn't do previously because my line choice improved. If I stopped being able to get better overall as a rider, I would like become bored (as with all things I have done)
Old 12-20-04, 09:26 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by forum*rider
I wouldn't be satisfied, still feel like theirs some major improving I could do.

Of course if my improvement just STOPPED, I would keep cycling. It's just so dang fun!
Ditto. I also ride because it's the superior transport option in my situation, and merely stopping improvement would not change that situation. Of course, there are plenty of parts of the world I've yet to discover by bike, and the ability to simply go fast wouldn't really concern me when I'm touring.

That is all.
Old 12-20-04, 09:36 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
At age 72 I can no longer do sub-5 hour centuries back-to-back like I did in my forties.
However, I still time trial and I am my own worst enemy. Racing the clock lets me improve, however, sometimes I loose!
Pedal on!
Old 12-20-04, 09:37 PM
By-Tor...or the Snow Dog?

Bikes: Bianchi Cross Concept, Flyte Srs-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dont think i would be happy , it hink it would work, i think if i worked my muscels toa more fit shape and lost some weight then i would have no problem stopping
Old 12-21-04, 06:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with The Fixer and Isits and some others: for me, cycling was never about competing, even with or within myself. It's about my mental and physical health, moments of serenity in a pressured life, enjoying the beauty of the countryside around me on rides, the companionship of others on group rides, the rhythm of my heartbeat and breathing on solo rides. These are lessons I learned after realizing how unhealthy my hyper-competitiveness was for me, but I can understand others having other points of view and priorities.
Old 12-21-04, 08:28 AM
. . . rosebud . . .

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never had any performance goals.

When I get out there, depending on the day I will do some sprints, or try and spin like crazy going up hill in low gear or maybe creep up a hill in high gear.

But mostly I just like being outside, and get caught up looking at the scenery and what not.
Old 12-21-04, 02:55 PM
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about weight? If I couldn't lose weight and get some for of exercise I'd stuff my bike in a closet and sit on the computer Part of my motivation to bike is my health
Old 12-21-04, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Colnago, GT Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
Ditto. I also ride because it's the superior transport option in my situation, and merely stopping improvement would not change that situation. Of course, there are plenty of parts of the world I've yet to discover by bike, and the ability to simply go fast wouldn't really concern me when I'm touring.
Do you race ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.