Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Seat post/seat tube protection

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-24-12, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you who are riding in muddy conditions use anything to keep the dirt out of the seat tube. On my current bike I have never really used anything, but there is certainly a bit of in the seat tube that I can't completely get out very well. It sounds like it is probably bad for both seat tube and frame.

I'm getting a frame, and I want to take a little bit better care of it because this next one needs to last awhile. Eventually I'll get a dropper post, but until I can afford one I was looking at this https://www.syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=540

Anyone have any experience with such things? I was thinking about taping it down around the seat tube entrance so that dirt doesn't get caught under the seal.
Old 02-24-12, 07:50 AM
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShimmerFade
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you who are riding in muddy conditions use anything to keep the dirt out of the seat tube. On my current bike I have never really used anything, but there is certainly a bit of in the seat tube that I can't completely get out very well. It sounds like it is probably bad for both seat tube and frame.
Why would it be bad for the frame?
Old 02-24-12, 07:55 AM
Chronic 1st-timer

Bikes: ...take me places.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
-piece of old tube on my post/collar junction
Old 02-24-12, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, that's not a bad idea with some tube and tape. I'll try it out over the next few days on my old frame to see how it works for me. That foam stuff looks like it would make a nice, easy sliding seal though.

Originally Posted by corvuscorvax
Why would it be bad for the frame?
I figured that usually a gritty, crunchy sound is not good where friction is concerned. I raise and lower my saddle at least once a ride. I've tried to clean out my seat tube with some paper towels, but it is freaking hard to get in there. I have some brushes I picked up that I may need to try as well.