Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I get this or should I not trust BikesDirect?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-12, 11:06 AM

Bikes: 2003 Trek 1000 and 2011 Trek 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been using my Trek 1000 for commutes and long distance ride. This summer, I'm planning to do more long distance rides. I saw this Fuji ACR 2.0 on BD and saw it was a decent price. However, I tried searching for the year of the frame but I couldn't find anything.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fuji/acr_2.htm

Last edited by shiro13; 02-25-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-25-12, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by shiro13
I've been using my Trek 1000 for commutes and long distance ride. This summer, I'm planning to do more long distance rides. I saw this Fuji ACR 2.0 on BD and saw it was a decent price. However, I tried searching for the year of the frame but I couldn't find anything.

It's probably not a 2012.

It looks like Fuji used the "ACR" name only in 2010. It looks like Roubaix is now the name for this line.

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...010&Brand=Fuji

Seems like a well-liked bike for a low price.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-25-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 11:48 AM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Different paint scheme, but Performance has one that claims to be 2010. But does it really matter if it's NOS?
Old 02-25-12, 11:57 AM

I saw that. It's one at 48cm too.

Originally Posted by no1mad
But does it really matter if it's NOS?
No (as long as what you spend for what you get compares favorably).
Old 02-25-12, 12:06 PM
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to Bikepedia, the Fuji ACR 2.0 was only produced during 2010. It originally sold for $1,500.

Bikesdirect has the original MSRP as it was first listed as being $1,800.

For $900, it's a steal!

Last edited by SlimRider; 02-25-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by SlimRider
Bikesdirect has the original MSRP as it was first listed as being $1,800.
Bikesdirect pulls "MSRP" and "compare to" prices directly out of their asses (everybody knows this). That is, the BD MSRP price is not very meaningful.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-25-12 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 01:07 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Bikesdirect pulls "MRSP" and "compare to" prices directly out of their asses (everybody knows this). That is, the BD MRSP price is not very meaningful.
The use of the word "everybody", is far too broad. Ignorance of facts is unfortunately a ubiquitous phenomenon, that none of us can escape. Human beings are wracked with strands of imperfection. Imperfection, ignorance, hatred, fear, greed, and ego-driven motives are all inextricable human DNA traits that we have all have inherited from our forefathers. We will most inevitably continue the tradition in grand style.

At times, we all pull things out from the recesses of our asses. I guess that's why we war and mislabel things, too!

MSRP NOT MRSP

Last edited by SlimRider; 02-25-12 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 01:36 PM

The use of the word "everybody", is far too broad.
Technically, you are correct: "everybody" doesn't include you.

BD's so-called "MSRP" prices are fairly well-known here to be bogus/dishonest. You really should have been aware of it.

My use of "everybody" was (clearly) hyperbole anyway.

At times, we all pull things out from the recesses of our asses.
I'll defer to your vast experience with this!

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-25-12 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 02:05 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NJKayaker, I don't know why you have this incessant proclivity or compulsion, to judge so many people here.

Usually people who are experts within some chosen field, are selected to judge members within certain categories. Only rarely do they appoint themselves. You must remember, the more people you judge or the more things that you judge, leaves you more opportunities to misjudge and make judgemental errors. When you judge within a public forum, such as this one, people are observing you and can be given to their own judgements and interpretations about you, as well.

One should stray away from hyperbole when one is judging and making assessments about the amount of information another person should, or should not possess. This just might cause others to think that the person judging is given to exaggeration. Subsequently, less credence is rendered by truly observant witnesses.

I would suggest that in the interest of BF equanimity, you curb so much judgement, that you so liberally place upon others, and take a more introspective approach with respect to judgement.

I highly suspect that you live in a very fragile glass house...

- Slim
Old 02-25-12, 02:11 PM

NJKayaker, I don't know why you have this incessant proclivity or compulsion, to judge so many people here.

One should stray away from hyperbole when one is judging and making assessments about the amount of information another person should, or should not possess. This just might cause others to think that the person judging is given to exaggeration. Subsequently, less credence is rendered by truly observant witnesses.

Usually people who are experts within some chosen field, are selected to judge members within certain categories. Only rarely do they appoint themselves. You must remember, the more people you judge or the more things that you judge, leaves you more opportunities to misjudge and make judgemental errors. When you judge within a public forum, such as this one, people are observing you and can be given to their own judgements and interpretations about you, as well.

I would suggest that in the interest of BF equanimity, you curb so much judgement, that you so liberally place upon others, and take a more introspective approach with respect to judgement.

You can't have missed the irony of you "judging" me! And, it doesn't appear you know what "introspective" means!

I highly suspect that you live in a very fragile glass house...

You could have chosen to ignore my "everybody" comment.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-25-12 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 02:26 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Technically, you are correct: "everybody" doesn't include you.

BD's so-called "MSRP" prices are fairly well-known here to be bogus/dishonest. You really should have been aware of it.

My use of "everybody" was (clearly) hyperbole anyway.

I'll defer to your vast experience with this!
No sir. You were the original author of the concept of, "pulling things out of...asses". I normally, don't either speak or think in those terms. However, considering that I was addressing you, I just though it would be more appropriate to use your type of vernacular, on your very own level....The ass level. It's difficult not to refer to a real person by their truly given name or level. Especially when they resemble their chosen level so much, in both the manner of their written words and their judgements.

Last edited by SlimRider; 02-25-12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 02:37 PM

At times, we all pull things out from the recesses of our asses.
No sir. You were the original author of the concept of, "pulling things out of...asses". I normally, don't either speak or think in those terms. However, considering that I was addressing you, I just though it would be more appropriate to use your type of vernacular, on your very own level....The ass level. It's difficult not to refer to a real person by their truly given name or level. Especially when they resemble their chosen level so much, in both their manner of their written words and their judgements.
What the heck does this even mean?

You don't seem to realize that I wasn't talking about your ass but BD's.

For someone who doesn't use "those terms", you've managed to use the term more than I did in this thread!

If you see a shovel, you don't have to dig yourself into a hole with it.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-25-12 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-25-12, 03:30 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts

Here is a piece of advice that has served me well when I got into cycling, "Try before you Buy". If you have a Performance bike shop anywhere near you then go check out the bike. Also if you decide to buy online you will need wrenching skills on "any" bike from Bikes direct. More than likely the wheels will need to be trued and may or may not be dished correctly. Many of the bikes will come to you in the same box the factory ships them to a LBS in and will require the same amount of assembly. If you "know" everything you want to know about the bike ordering from BD might be OK. But it is a bit like getting things from Pic-N save. Flip a coin and take your chances.
Old 02-25-12, 03:34 PM

Bikes: 2003 Trek 1000 and 2011 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Here is a piece of advice that has served me well when I got into cycling, "Try before you Buy". If you have a Performance bike shop anywhere near you then go check out the bike. Also if you decide to buy online you will need wrenching skills on "any" bike from Bikes direct. More than likely the wheels will need to be trued and may or may not be dished correctly. Many of the bikes will come to you in the same box the factory ships them to a LBS in and will require the same amount of assembly. If you "know" everything you want to know about the bike ordering from BD might be OK. But it is a bit like getting things from Pic-N save. Flip a coin and take your chances.
That's what I'm planning to do. I don't like the idea of buying a bike online but so far I've been finding cheaper bike online than here in the city. Or I might not be looking hard enough.
Old 02-25-12, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
$900 for an Aluminum 105 with carbon fork? You probably won't find a major brand name bike with similar components for under $1500 for last year's model. Giant brand bikes seem to be less expensive than Specialized, Trek, Cannondale. The Defy 1 is around $1300. It looks like a good deal. I don't know how aggressive the riding position is. You might want a geometry that is more endurance than performance

I recommend you try some different geometry bikes and see how they feel. Unless you know what you want, you might end up with a bike you like better if you buy in person. Keep looking and be patient.
Old 02-25-12, 10:00 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
That's what I'm planning to do. I don't like the idea of buying a bike online but so far I've been finding cheaper bike online than here in the city. Or I might not be looking hard enough.
If you try a bike like it and you like it you are in the ball park. If you don't have a LBS you can trust you may have to get something online. I don't know enough about the wheels on the bike you posted but I suspect that is where they cut the price on the bike. It also comes back to can you wrench because BD bikes don't come assembled. If you know someone that can help you then you could still be in business.

You choice of bike is good and the specs are good. The price is in line with other online offers the bike is a good bike and 105 is good long lasting drive train. My only qualm was I know someone that got a BD bike and the wheel was dished for a SS with a multispeed cassette. He called to tell them the wheel dished wrond and they offered to "sell" him a replacement wheel. He would have to wait for the new wheel to be shipped and he would pay for the wheel and shipping. One of our club members sold him some shimano wheels and he couldn't be happier. But the old rear wheel is simply trash and wouldn't even make a good fixie wheel because two of the nipples are cracked. Might not happen to you and may not have been a problem to others. But that has been my only contact with BD.
Old 02-26-12, 02:18 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
If you buy from a bike shop they will be there for you.
Old 02-26-12, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I bought a bike from bikes direct. I got a few great years out of it, and a friend of mine is still riding it. It came perfect out of the box and only needed minor derailleur adjustment. It was a nice bike for the price. I currently ride a Fuji frame, (a few year old Aluminum Team) it is the shizzy. I have had great experiences with both BD and Fuji. YMMV.
Old 02-26-12, 11:48 AM

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
If you buy from a bike shop they will be there for you.

If you ever need a tire and tube at the last min. You can't when there out of business.
Old 02-26-12, 12:32 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you can do minor adjustments and setup the BD's are a cheap alternative to the name brands. In most cases the component set alone is worth as much as the bike. I bought one this year. Perfect out of the box. Your choice.
Hockey
Old 02-26-12, 04:07 PM

Bikes: Trek 1420 triple, Mercier Corvus, Globe 1 700, Surly Disc Trucker, GT Avalanche, GT Grade, GT Helion, Mercier Corvus, Motobacane Boris X7 Fat Bikes,

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have bought three bikes from them. They answered my questions via email. I believe they have good products for the price. In other words if you have some knowledge of components, frame characteristics and what type of riding you want to do it is helpful. I got the impression that Bikes Direct just don't sell bikes they ride them and enough of them to sort through the the stuff to present a good product.

I bought the Mercier Corvus (because it had a 30/28 gear) (2) (62,60cm) and the Gran Turismo (64cm) I took a training ride with the Turismo that weighed out at 340 + lbs and it did fine.
The 60 cm survived me being hit by a pickup truck mirror since retired to the trainer and for spare parts if needed.

Email them and as your questions to ease your mind. You can always have the LBS do the maintenance and set up for you
Old 02-26-12, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most people I heard that purchased from BD only has good reviews on them ( Including myself ). Most people just like to hate on online purchasing, because either they want to support their LBS or just want to be ignorance.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/testimon.htm
Old 02-26-12, 10:10 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just think, we used to have a neighborhood butcher shop, grocery store, 5 & 10 cent store, drug store, shoe store, shoe repair shop, ice cream parlor, fish monger, clothing store...Everything was quite local. Next thing you know, we've got Supermarkets. Oops! There goes the neighborhood butcher shops, fish monger, and grocery stores. Next, we had the malls. Oops! There goes the neighborhood shoe stores, shoe repair shop, ice cream parlor, and 5& 10 cent store. Then we got even larger malls. We got the Super Duper Maxi malls, complete with Best Buy, Kmart, Supermarkets, KFC's, shoe stores, Home Depots, Barnes & Nobles, ect..

Then finally, we got the INTERNET. Welcome to the end of the traditional community as we use to know it. We are now becoming the global community.

Now we can have bikesdirect.com, instead of Joe's local bicycle shop who used to carry the All American Trek.

We now get to bond with people we've never seen before, and most probably never will again, due to the fact that we have access to electronic communications and technologies. In a way, that's kinda good! OTOH, IDK...

Why have dinner with your family, when you could more easily just sit in your favorite chair, drink beer or coffee, and watch ESPN, or post on the INTERNET?

Why speak and interact with your neighbors when you can just as easily interact with BF members? BF members from all over the world!

OMG!

What would we do without our electronic technologies and the INTERNET?

Last edited by SlimRider; 02-27-12 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-27-12, 07:54 AM
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,403 Times in 2,744 Posts
I grew up many years ago in a small town. I do not miss the small businesses. The prices were high and the service depended on where the customer fell on the social/economic scale. Many customers had to use the back door. I appreciate the multiple shopping choices I now have.
Old 02-27-12, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Vitus 979, KHS Montana Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you know your fit and have the tools and skills to get it on the road, BD bikes are usually really good deals.

I always suspect that some of the BD bashers here are LBS owners or employes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.