Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Unknown English vintage tandem. Can anyone help identify?

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 05:24 PM
giv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Someone gave me this tandem and said it was an English one, possibly from a line of bikes by a 50's racer or something. The whole frame is lugged and I put some new components on it to test it out and it rides super nice. He also said it was repainted so there are no markings on it to help me identify it. Anyone have any ideas as to who made the frame or how much it is worth? And the blue pedals are not staying on there, they are ridiculous, but I had to test it and then I swiped the rear chain, heh.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2.jpg (102.7 KB, 39 views)
1.jpg (104.9 KB, 51 views)
3.jpg (104.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-01-12, 05:49 PM
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Double-diamond with lugs. Bears some resemblence to this BSA:

Or this 1951 Sun.
Old 03-01-12, 06:02 PM
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are some on here who might be able to hazard a guess as to manufacture, but they'd need much better close-ups of the lug work all over the bike. You could also provide close-ups of the components, but none of them are likely original. Also look *everywhere* for a serial number as the sequence might give a clue.

Short of identifying the actual make and model, we can't tell if it's hi-tensile steel, cro-mo, double-butted cro-mo, or gas pipe tubing. So until then, it's worth somewhere between what you paid for it and every ounce of fun you get out of it!

It does appear to be an interesting ride because of the laid back seat and head tube angles on a lugged frame. I'd just throw some working components at it and ride!
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 03-01-12, 06:15 PM
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Figures. As I was typing, someone nails it! I think it matches almost perfectly with the BSA!
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 03-02-12, 03:39 PM
giv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update

Thank you all,and here are some more pictures to be sure. I'm trying to sell it, how much do you all think it could be worth once I get a new chain on it and re-grease the headset, bottom brackets, put better pedals on, clean it, and tune it up. I can do all that myself so it won't cost a thing. Someone offered me $800, but I think that's to low. All the components are pristine shimano and sugino that are practically brand new and sat in a garage for years.

Attached Images
a.jpg (98.9 KB, 22 views)
d.jpg (102.1 KB, 23 views)
b.jpg (104.7 KB, 22 views)
c.jpg (102.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-02-12, 04:02 PM
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd suggest you take it. There's not a single original part on this bike, so it's value to a collector is zero beyond the frame. As for someone actually riding it, you can get a MUCH better/stiffer/faster/better shifting ride by buying a current technology used tandem for about that much.

Sorry, but as cool as the bike may be, I don't think you fell into a diamond mine.

Old 03-02-12, 04:16 PM
giv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds good. $800 for a free bike is a gold mine though Especially since the frame has been repainted and with non original components. But for whoever I sell it to I would feel really nice being able to tell them the history of the frame. Can anyone tell the frame from the lugs? Sun or BSA?