Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-12, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Bike

So I sold my old bike to my bro as he has lost 100 lbs and told him he needed to get to exercising to get his body well rounded. I am a big guy 6' 300lbs and have been riding for a year or so as an extra cardio workout to supplement the weight lifting. Now I work at a private school as a teacher and a coach and we have a much smaller salary than that of the public schools. So I needed to replace the bike I sold. The other bike I had was a big box bike from wally world a next hyper v. So I was looking at getting another store bike, but a little higher with better components and one that has the ability to upgrade gradually. So I bought the Schwinn Protocol from Academy. Just wondering if you guys have any input on it. I know it is not a trek or anything even in that range but a decent bike so far. Like I said buying a cheaper bike than upgrading slowly is best as money is limited. Also there is something about putting things together to make it something it wasn't brand new.
Old 03-05-12, 03:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi mate,

Great news on the bike, i can't comment on the brand but a phrase I often see on here is "the best bike is the one you are ridding".

IF you are in the US don't forget to check Craigslist, you may be able to get parts or old bikes with better parts that you can use on yours, But ride it till it breaks that way you know the limits
Old 03-05-12, 06:12 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
+1 to craig's list or even ebay. I haven't bought a new bike since 1992. I don't know anything about your particular bike but enjoy riding it!
Old 03-05-12, 06:18 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Dual suspension mountain bike?

I see that Amazon sells various levels of the Schwinn Protocol. If you read the reviews you might get an idea of the weak points that you might have to address.

Enjoy riding! And congratulations to your brother on his weight loss.
Old 08-02-12, 02:37 PM

Bikes: 2012 Shwinn Protocol 1.0 and 1960's Rollfast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Protocol 1.0
Old 08-02-12, 02:41 PM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Also watch the For Sale section on our forum. There are some very generous riders here.