Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Veloce 9 speed shifting technique

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 02:46 AM

Bikes: Giant Peloton Lite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought some second hand Veloce shifters on ebay the other day and at first it only seemed as if there were 6 clicks when shifting to a larger cog (instead of 8). I then realised that the first two clicks of the gear pawl by the brake lever actually moved two click positions each. Is this always the case? If i'm in the smallest cog and want to go up one cog, do I need to click the inner pawl once followed by the thumb shifter once?

I don't have the shifters set-up so I can't check! Overall not all that impressed with the shifters, don't think I'll invest my time and money converting to a partly campag set-up.
Old 03-08-12, 05:39 AM
Advisor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Campy shifters are not indexed shifters as Shimano and SRAM are, they are ratcheting shifters. You can hold them over and they will jump several clicks or you can click once going up using the longer shifter finger lever, not the thumb lever. However, clicking once with this lever is not the same as with Shimano, enough to move over to the next larger chain ring, you'll need to click twice or more or hold it.
Old 03-08-12, 12:20 PM
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm having a little trouble following you, but I think what you are saying that if you push on the right shifter it shifts two gears and not one like you would expect. Well keep on on pushing that lever and it will shift a third time. Campy is designed to shift 3 up and 5 down (with the thumb shifter); up just need to stop pushing the shifter when your in the gear you want.
Old 03-08-12, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
OP, do you mean than in the smallest cog, when you shift just 1 click, the chain jumps 2 cogs, so then you need to thumb shift back down 1 ?
If so, that means your adjustment is messed up.

Try this:

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...illeur-systems

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 03-08-12, 03:32 PM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you can't shift just one gear at a time, the shifters may need to be rebuilt.
Old 03-09-12, 08:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry about the confusing description. To try and clarify, it's the right hand shifter. When moving the gear lever inwards one click it actually moves two cogs worth (only for the first two clicks). So to move from the smallest, to second smallest cog you would need to move the gear lever one click and then click the thumb shifter once.

Really don't want to have to take them apart!
Old 03-09-12, 09:21 AM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I have the 9 speed Veloce (2000 model) and it moves 1 cog for each click. A few months after I bought the bike, I had to get them adjusted due to cable stretch. Now that I've had the bike a few years, I noticed last summer the shifting was getting sloppy. A new chain fixed that.

I do like being able to cross multiple gears with one throw of the lever. Not sure if I would like the Shimano way of doing it or not, as I've never had a bike with integrated Shimano shifters. (Sorry, I can't seem to call them brifters, it just sounds awkward to me.)
Old 03-09-12, 09:34 AM
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by martyn3200
Sorry about the confusing description. To try and clarify, it's the right hand shifter. When moving the gear lever inwards one click it actually moves two cogs worth (only for the first two clicks). So to move from the smallest, to second smallest cog you would need to move the gear lever one click and then click the thumb shifter once.

Really don't want to have to take them apart!
Okay, still working on an answer but let me get this straight. If you click the lever behind the brake at the smallest cog, twice, it will move 4 cogs. But if you then go to the thumb lever it will click 4 times back to the small cog again. Is that right?

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 03-09-12 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-09-12, 10:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, still working on an answer but let me get this straight. If you click the lever behind the brake at the smallest cog, twice, it will move 4 cogs. But if you then go to the thumb lever it will click 4 times back to the small cog again. Is that right?
Yep, you got it.
Old 03-09-12, 11:16 AM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That's not the way it's supposed to work. While you can shift multiple cogs with a single sweep of the lever, each click should be very distinct and one click corresponds to a one cog change. We assume you've made all the necessary adjustments to the high/low screws and cable tension. If this is the case it sounds like your shifter needs to be rebuilt as one responder has already indicated.
Old 03-09-12, 12:29 PM

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
If you click the lever behind the brake at the smallest cog, twice, it will move 4 cogs. But if you then go to the thumb lever it will click 4 times back to the small cog again. Is that right?
1. Campagnolo second generation right levers like yours have a clock spring which opposes the rear derailleur spring so when a derailleur is not connected it takes less force to move them towards a bigger cog. It could just be a matter of finesse.

2. If it still does that when you've attached a cable and derailleur you have worn out right G-springs and perhaps a broken spring carrier.

That can result in clicks being more distinct in one direction, failure to stay in the selected gear, or just a very soft feel to the lever.

A pair of G-springs is under $10, the carrier is also under $10, and adjusting the rear derailleur is the hardest part of the rebuild so it's nothing to be afraid of.You can even watch the process on youtube. Apart from that given the hassle of untaping and taping your bar, removing and reinstalling cables, etc. I'd probably rebuild a used right shifter before I installed it (I've yet to rebuild my 16 year old left lever which makes its service interval at last 4-5X as long as the right side). For a 10 speed installation where I wasn't trying for a classic look I'd just buy a pair of NOS 2010 Centaur Ultrashift levers because once you add up the price of used shifters, rebuild parts, and a new cable set you end up at about the same place.

First and second generation Campagnolo ergo mechanisms are very close to one of their down-tube shifters in design although there are a pair of levers that engage the take up drum only when pressed instead of a single permanently attached lever, they use fixed G-springs with the index cam on the moving part instead of moving G-springs with the cam stationary, and there are 2 G-springs instead of 3.

This is quite different from other brands that use an escapement mechanism.

Third generation levers replace the G-spring setup where one leg of the spring engages the index detents (and wears away from the friction) with ball bearings that engage the clicks with separate coil springs.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 03-09-12 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 12:34 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I bought some second hand Veloce shifters on ebay the other day
I'd say ' now you know why they sold them'.. I agree , get the levers rebuilt.
Old 03-09-12, 02:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Buying used integrated shifters is a crap shoot.
Old 03-09-12, 02:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have no dog in this fight but I'm just curious, when you say to rebuild brifters like these, does that mean to actually replace certain parts or is it pretty much a complete tear down, complete cleaning, and rebuild with fresh lube?
Old 03-09-12, 02:24 PM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it makes sense to clean and relube while you have them apart. They are an elegant piece of work- and not difficult to deal with.
Old 03-09-12, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Campagnolo second generation right levers like yours have a clock spring which opposes the rear derailleur spring so when a derailleur is not connected it takes less force to move them towards a bigger cog. It could just be a matter of finesse.

2. If it still does that when you've attached a cable and derailleur you have worn out right G-springs and perhaps a broken spring carrier.
How knowledgeable some of you are! Lo and behold when it had a tensioned cable attached everything is working nicely. Guess I should have thought of that sooner.

Thanks anyway!