Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

paint stripping...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

paint stripping...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 03:14 AM
too cool for school

Bikes: Kona JTS (road-conversion).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
paint stripping...

What's the best/easiest way to strip the paint off a bike frame?
Old 12-23-04, 03:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zip Strip it comes in a spraycan or can (pour it). Spray is better. It is yellow and black can.

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 12-23-04, 04:17 AM
Just riding

Bikes: Cannondale Bad Boy / Mercian track / BOB trailer / Moulton recumbent project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nitromors, rubber gloves and wire wool.

But if you're repainting yourself, check the total project costs. If you're doing a simple one-colour job, it's about the same price to get it blasted and powder coated.
Old 12-23-04, 08:35 AM
Takeover is inevitable!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get some heavy duty paint stripper from ACE or Lowes and take the frame and fork to a DIY carwash with power sprays. Put the frame in the sun and brush on the stripper and leave it for a few minutes. You'll see the paint bubble up. Then take it into one of the bays and spray that shizza right off. Worked for me. Repainting is a completely different story. I've never had much success with that.
Old 12-23-04, 09:02 AM
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a wire wheel on a hand grinder works super well. i've also used a heavy duty chemical stripper as well, but she's messy and burns my skin. oooh, kinky.
Old 12-23-04, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Converted 1997 Trek Singletrack 930 singlespeed and a Kona Lavadome singlespeed, fixed Dahon folding bike, fixed 27" Miyata road bike, early 70's Raleigh Chopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aircraft paint stripper. Comes in an aerosol can at your local auto parts store. Works well. Use heavy duty rubber gloves and a wire brush and a plastic scraper. Spray it on in a well ventilated room, better if you're outdoors. Leave it on for about 15 minutes. scrape off the residue. Repeat. Don't let the stuff sit for long as it'll just dry up and make it harder to remove the paint. I DIYed my fixie frame and spraypainted it a nice Chevy Orange using Duplicolour Enamel engine paint. Came out nice but I think I may get her sandblasted and powdercoated over the winter along with my singlespeed mountain bike.
Old 12-23-04, 09:39 AM
shoot up or shut up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i had a frame stripped and powdercoated for 60.
Old 12-23-04, 09:41 AM
cxmagazine dot com

Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by isotopesope
i had a frame stripped and powdercoated for 60.
pray tell -
when and where?
Old 12-23-04, 09:47 AM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Every quote I've gotten was $150 or more for a sandblast and powdercoat. Thats around here in the SF bay area though.
Old 12-23-04, 11:00 AM
Traffic shark

Bikes: 2 fixies, 1 road, 29er in the works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jasco paint stripper will remove all paint with reckless abandon. Use good gloves and don't get it on your skin. It burns badly and quickly. It will remove paint to the metal in about 30 minutes. Also good on cars that block driveways and etc..
Old 12-23-04, 11:57 AM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by William Karsten
Jasco paint stripper will remove all paint with reckless abandon. Use good gloves and don't get it on your skin. It burns badly and quickly. It will remove paint to the metal in about 30 minutes. Also good on cars that block driveways and etc..
I used that on my latest Trek fixer upper. I use latex gloves but was wearing short sleeves. I didn't realize I got a dab on my forearm until I felt the painful burning.
Old 12-23-04, 01:46 PM

Bikes: 95 GT Force, 95 Gary Fisher Hookooekoo, 75 Takara fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going through the process now. The aircraft stripper does work well. You have to use several coats to get all the paint off. However, I caution that if the frame is nice and you want it to look like (or close to) a brand new factory paint job, don't do it yourself because you will be disappointed. But if you want the satisfaction and fun of doing it yourself, don't care about high quality and want to save some money, do it yourself.

And if you repaint it, definitely wet sand between coats. Makes a huge difference.
Old 12-23-04, 02:06 PM
shoot up or shut up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by [165]
pray tell -
when and where?
it was at denver bumper in october of last year. i think they did a great job, but my friend who works at spectrum says they joke about that place all the time. that said, another friend of mine just got his ground up frame back from denver bumper with a dent from them dropping it and a hole where they sand-blasted through the tubing. of course, the tubing was some ultra light dedacai (sp?) steel. they're going to reimburse him for the cost.

jasco is that magic genie paint stipper i have used before. that stuff works great. i also was smart enough to wear rubber gloves and a short sleeve t-shirt. yeowch.
Old 12-23-04, 08:34 PM
Iguana Subsystem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jasco is the king imho, but it's evil stuff, cover up, work outdoors, and dispose of the mess properly.
here are the deets for san francisco:

Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility at 501 Tunnel Avenue near Candlestick point. The hours of operation are Thursday, Friday, and Saturday only, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except on certain holidays. Call the Hazardous Waste Hotline at 415/554-4333
Old 12-23-04, 09:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceya
Zip Strip it comes in a spraycan or can (pour it). Spray is better. It is yellow and black can.

S/F,
CEYA!
Here is the link below

https://www.starbronze.com/remover.html

S/F,
CEYA!
Old 12-29-04, 04:13 AM
Oni
Wannabe Msgr.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got quoted $200 to get my frame stripped and painted. but I don't know if that's powder coating and it was a chemical strip. Anyone know of any powder coaters in PDX aside from ACME on Market st.?
Old 12-29-04, 04:59 AM
Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Bikes: 2 - GT Panteras of different vintages, Trek 1100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You guys, I build polymer molecules and in the past have formulated paint. Some people consider me a finishing expert.

Make sure you use the strippers outside. The Jasco has methylene chloride in it - I looked up the MSDS - and that will make you stupid if you breathe the fumes. It's also a carcinogen. Nasty stuff.

I wouldn't let ANYBODY sandblast my frame. Even if they didn't blast a hole clear through it there's a chance they could weaken it. Ungood.

Powder coating is cool but what if you want to touch it up? If it was me doing it I would just go get some Krylon Tough Coat or some other acrylic (yes, acrylics are harder) and shoot it with that. The trick is to go slow and apply multiple light coats instead of one or two heavy coats. Use a primer underneath for maximum adhesion, and sand lightly after the prime coats to get it smooth. Let it dry for at least a week before putting it all back together. If it gets scratched just scuff sand it, spot paint the repair in, and rub it out so you can't see it. Easy.