Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

No to Rumble Strips on CA Highways!

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 04:41 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts

Governor Brown is considering the installation of rumble strips on the center and shoulder of Big Sur Hwy.

Click here for full story.

And click here to write Governor Brown to implore him to abandon this plan to install the rumble strips.'

Thanks and safe riding!
Old 03-17-12, 06:36 PM
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, is there an increased risk factor on CA 1 requiring rumble strips or is this just another political play for, 'I am for your safety. Who can be against that? Vote for me.' Anyway, putting the rhetorical comments aside, I attempted to access Governor Brown's web site to express my humble opinion that rumble strips on the center and shoulder of Big Sur Hwy are a not safe for cyclist and should not be installed. Of course, I can't afford the extra expense needed by me to pay for it (can you?), but I digress.

Unfortunately, when I accessed the Gov's web site, the "CHOOSE YOUR SUBJECT" box did not have any subjects to choose from. Wonderful transparency!! I'll find another avenue to express my opinion to the Gov.

GRR. Rant over.
Old 03-17-12, 06:52 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm a bit torn. On one hand, I see cars drifting over in the bike lane while they're messing with their phone or radio, and on the other I don't really want to accidentally ride over a rumble strip. If it's in sections with a wide shoulder, the rumble strip is right at the white line, and there are funds dedicated to sweeping the bike lanes I think I'd be pro-rumble strip. Besides we already watch out for big reflector things glued to the road here and there, they aren't a huge deal.

Maybe they can make a finer grain rumble....shallow divots every 1" or something rather than the deep ones every foot or so.

PS, the gov's 'choose your subject' box works fine here.
Old 03-17-12, 07:25 PM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

I just selected Caltrans, since this seems primarily a Caltrans issue.
The problem is that Big Sur is too narrow in many places for a bike lane. This means those of us who ride FRAP to avoid inconveniencing motorhomes, tour busses, dually trucks, (also avoiding a violent death) will be compelled to take-a-lane.

The rumble strips IN THE CENTER are beneficial in places like Palomar Mountain, by making it less of a motorcycle raceway, but putting them on Big Sur will only result in more deaths IMO.

Old 03-17-12, 08:11 PM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
There is already a thread, no? But I liked your pictures.
Old 03-17-12, 09:13 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
Do Pearl Izumi insoles aid riders in crossing rumble strips?
Old 03-17-12, 09:31 PM
Banned.

That's either some first-rate, underhanded spamming, or you lost track of your clipboard when you pasted the Pearl Izumi ad. If the latter, please try again.
Old 03-17-12, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The article in the OP seems misleading since it mentions that rumble strips are planned for Hwy. 1 in the section north of Santa Cruz but then talks about "Big Sur will become big bumps." Big Sur is way south of Santa Cruz and AFAIK, there are no plans to install rumble strips in the Big Sur area. And Hwy. 1 in the area north of Santa Cruz is very different in character from the highway south of Carmel and through Big Sur. Hwy. 1 north of Santa Cruz has much higher traffic volumes and the road there is significantly wider, with a decent shoulder width in most places.
Old 03-17-12, 10:30 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Email the District 5 Traffic engineer and ask for documentation that standard traffic control devices have been previously evaluated.

Remind him (or her) that:
"Along the length of the highway, serious and enthusiastic road cyclists make good use of this section of the Pacific Coast Bike Route. Both day trips and overnight tours are common, some as part of organized supported rides and other independent riders alone or in small groups."

I c&p that from the Caltrans Corridor Management Plan.

Last edited by GP; 03-17-12 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-29-12, 09:36 AM

Bikes: 5 Colnago, 2 Olmo, Bianchi, 4 Austro-Daimler, Merlin, Fisher Tandem, John Waite track tandem, Schwinns, Steyrs, Bill Holland Ti path racer, Chinese prototype FS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rumble strips on the centerline will make Hwy 1 useless for the Tour of California where a CHP rolling enclosure allows riders to use the entire road.
Old 03-29-12, 09:07 PM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
That's either some first-rate, underhanded spamming, or you lost track of your clipboard when you pasted the Pearl Izumi ad. If the latter, please try again.
Yeah, wrong thing on my clipboard. Never checked the URL. Here's the other thread.
Old 04-04-12, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've felt rumble strips help protect me. I am okay with them as long as the road is wide enough and I have a good buffer zone.
Old 04-04-12, 09:49 AM
Banned.

Yeah, wrong thing on my clipboard. Never checked the URL. Here's the other thread.
Ohhh no... you ain't gonna Rickroll me again, pal.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Originally Posted by HBxRider
I've felt rumble strips help protect me. I am okay with them as long as the road is wide enough and I have a good buffer zone.
But many roads, especially Big Sur are too narrow in places.
Old 04-04-12, 10:01 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Was this Gov. Moonbeam's idea?
Old 04-04-12, 10:15 AM
Banned.

Probably. Click here to sign the petition to recall Governor Brown.
Old 04-04-12, 12:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeez are we still rickrolling people?

i am generally in favor of rumble strips. in my experience, it is rare that a rumble strip is placed such that there isn't adequate space to ride on the shoulder. i feel that they could alert an otherwise distracted or tired driver that they are drifting and need to pay attention to driving or their fatigue. or it could be the last sounds i ever hear. anyhow, i think it mostly depends if they can/will place the rumble strips such that we still have rideable space

never gonna give you up never gonna let you down...
Old 04-05-12, 09:18 AM
Banned.

Sorry man. I just learned what that was yesterday, (and I still can't get that ****ing song out of my head. )