Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Thanks for the help with my prostesis!

Old 03-23-12, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help with my prostesis!

On March 1st, I asked for help to keep my prostetic heel from hitting the crank arm on the downstroke. Went back to Philly last week and he made the final, carbon fiber socket. Spoke to him about my issue with the bike and he was able to make several very small adjustments to the leg, without messing up my ability to walk "normally". These have helped, but not completely. Sooo, I picked up a pair of Shimano M161 shoes and the multi-release cleats(SC-56). I've fallen off/over 4 times this week. My knees and elbows are pretty banged up! However, the cleats have kept my feet parallel to the crank arms and have stopped the "hitting" problem completely. Not too bad. Have finally got the cleats in the best position so as to not throw both legs out of alignment and is very comfortable.Just wanted to thank the members here for thier help and advice(and humor). I'm off to the woods. Bob C.
Old 03-24-12, 08:17 AM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Do you have the check socket as a whole device, or an older leg/foot that you can use specific for cycling?
I found that my walking leg needed a higher (rear) trimline than my cycling leg in order to avoid fit issues. When I was using the same leg for walking and cycling I hurt myself pretty badly from the tendons behind the knee rubbing against that higher trimline.
If you do have an old leg or the check socket, I recommend turning the toe in for missing the crank arm and also raising the height of the leg in order to compensate for the lack of ankle flexion, by way of keeping the seat height correct for BOTH legs. I would also work with your prosthesist about creating a few grooves in the back for those tendons as you become stronger in that older device. When you start out it will not be as much a problem as it will be when the muscles develop more.

Glad that you are out riding and not making excuses. Be careful and mindful of your skin, as it will let you know when there are wear issues. As to the falling...I have found that leaving my prosthesis locked in all the time and using my "good" foot for all stopping (etc) works best, for me anyway.
Old 03-24-12, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 4300 Disc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have an old socket, as I had a revision last May. Another four inches came off! And I wouldn't trust the test socket to carry me for the long haul. You've got a point about the Hamstrings behind the knee. Next week I'll try to convince my prostetist to do a "little" more trimming. I'm a no-holds-barred kind of guy. This isn't going to dictate what I can or can't do. Just trying to be "normal" if you know what I mean. And yeah, have been trying to use the real leg to clip out with, getting better with it. Thanks, Bob
Old 05-12-12, 10:47 PM

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I use kneesaver pedal adapters to fix the prosthesis hitting parts of bike problem.
My alignment is atypical, and the distal end of my socket is much closer to midline than the textbook alignment. I think it's related to having a wide pelvis. My socket would hit the bike frame otherwise.
I'm sure it robs me of some biking efficiency, but I'm not ready to use a biking-only prosthesis at this time. That would not be useful for commuting to work.