Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1984 Trek 720..too Much?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1984 Trek 720..too Much?

Hello everyone, im a long time cyclist but new to this great community, please let me take this time to say hello to everyone. A few days ago i picked up my dream bike, and in my size too! Its a 1984 trek 720 mostly original and i love it; however, i really had to pay up to get it. Was $550 too much? Look at the pics and tell me what you think. Also, i live in Northeast Ohio with a relatively small- crappy bike selling community, just check our craigslist if you dont believe. Its a bullet as is, of course i will be upgrading it to full tour set up over the next few months. Please let me know what you think!

(Sorry in advance for my crappy cell phone pictures)

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1912.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1917.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1918.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1919.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1920.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1923.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1924.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1925.jpg

https://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...d/IMAG1926.jpg
Old 03-24-12, 03:44 AM

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you ride it 550 miles it cost you $1 per mile. If you ride it 5500 you paid .10 per...
Old 03-24-12, 04:56 AM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
No, 550 was not too much. It fits you, and the 720s are not cheap.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 03-24-12, 05:07 AM

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Welcome to the Bike Forums and no, $550 for a dream bike, providing there is nothing major wrong with the bicycle, is hardly too much to spend. To that add that the bicycle's value is well represented at the price you paid. You did just fine.

Now before you turn that dream bike into a personal nightmare, you might want to consider what you are going to do with the bike. You already know that it will fit and that, in itself, is a big plus. Check to ensure that the frame and fork sets are not damaged. You will want to, at least, consider repainting the bicycle but it would be wise to ask yourself Should I Paint My Bike? Asking that question, and seeking guidance with the answer, just might save you some time effort and money.

I believe that you have a Helicromatic rear hub, but I could be wrong. If so, I have about a dozen NOS (new old stock) wrenches used to remove the freewheel. Send me a message through my website if you need one. Send a picture of the rear hub, also, just in case.

Anyway, enjoy your bicycle and suggest to your significant other that you have made a wise purchase that will increase in value, if you know how to look after your new investment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hand_Tools_HeiloCromatic_1.jpg (97.1 KB, 90 views)
Old 03-24-12, 08:11 AM
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!

Touring bikes are hot right now and that's a very nice one. That's a fair price and since it fits you, all the better. Should last a lifetime.
Old 03-24-12, 11:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement, it really helps take the sting away! The guy i got it from said he completely dissembled, gleaned, tuned and greased it over the winter, and judging from his little shop and other rides, i believe him. As a bonus, the original owner replaced the Hell-i-cromatic with a 6 speed set up, switching out the sun tour shifters for other ST bar ends at that time as well. It does have a significant amount of scratches and will probably be getting it repainted after this coming season. It still has the dia comp levers and xt half step crank, which i know isnt that notable but it still makes me fuzzy inside! That being said ive got about 4 times what i paid for this 750 in my other tourer, a 2008 Raleigh Sojourn that i built, and it doesn't even come close to the ride quality of the 720.

Thanks again for everyone's input..see ya on the streets!

And jmccain- with an equation like that its gonna be buying its own upgrades in about a month!
Old 03-24-12, 03:55 PM

Bikes: enough bikes to qualify for Hoarders......

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
550 for a 720 is good, I have sold 2 one went for 650 and was a later production, the other an early model for 850.00
Old 03-24-12, 04:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think you did pretty well for a highly regarded handbuilt frame n fork that is still a great riding bike........your 720 is considerably nicer riding and much better built than any current touring bike betixt 1100-1500!.................best of luck with your machine!
Old 03-24-12, 04:40 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
The 720s are considered by some to be one of the best touring bikes ever made. I have never ridden one but that's what I've heard. I think what you paid was a very fair price.

Originally Posted by Chef Jaco
As a bonus, the original owner replaced the Hell-i-cromatic with a 6 speed set up
This is huge. I would not tour on a ~30 year old Helicomatic equipped bike. The system was not robust even when new.

Originally Posted by Chef Jaco
It does have a significant amount of scratches and will probably be getting it repainted after this coming season.
Personally I would leave the paint alone as it will kill the value of the most important piece on the bike, the frame. But it is your bike and if you intend to keep it forever do as you wish. With a repainted bike you have to convince any potential buyer it is actually a 720, and either way it's still not original.
Old 03-24-12, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, ive really been toying with the paint job, the color is great but the scratches are very noticeable.I never thought about the fact it would become a pseudo-unknown after it gets re-sprayed, thats a fantastic point. I guess im just mad i didn't get to scratch it all up myself! Thanks again everyone, I forever respect the opinion of fellow riders.