Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help: Cost of bike

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-12, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, this is my first post. I was hoping that I could get some help. I am looking at buying a bike but have no idea what it's worth, mainly bc I can't figure out what year it is. I've attached some pics.

Before I came here to ask, I did a bit of research. Specifically, I went to the specialized website and went through their archive (Menu -> Bikes -> Archive). I checked every year that they had available (2002 til now), but couldn't find this specific style. I may be missing something. I guess even if I found the year, I wouldn't know what it would be worth.

More importantly than the year, what is a fair price to pay for the bike?

Thanks! and I look forward to hearing back

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Specialized(1).jpg (51.3 KB, 17 views)
Specialized(3).jpg (31.4 KB, 9 views)
Specialized(2).jpg (30.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-24-12, 09:07 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The bike in question is an entry level Specialized, probably from the 1990s. These are very reliable bikes, but with a rigid fork, they are not very valuable. The one in the pic looks to be in very good condition. Assuming that is correct, around here it could bring $125, maybe a little more based on your location, but there is no way the price goes up to $200.
You can continue your search for the exact identity at the bikepedia.com website. It goes back to 1993.
Old 03-25-12, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
1999 model: https://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...Comp&Type=bike
Old 03-25-12, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I'd say a fair price for that bike would be $50-$100 depending on the situation assuming everything is in working order, maybe needing a slight tune-up.
Originally Posted by roccobike
Assuming that is correct, around here it could bring $125, maybe a little more based on your location, but there is no way the price goes up to $200.
That bike would totally go for $200 around here. I know, crazy, right? I don't understand it either, but alas, that's the bike market around here. It's also why I basically buy nothing from CL bike section around here, even though I'm Really into bikes and have gone through probably 10 used bikes in the past few years. Only one from CL bike section when I First started out and didn't know any better. It was an unknown name 80s road bike for $175 and I still made a profit on the resale. I bet the MTB in question might bring $250 here since it looks to be in very good condition.
Old 03-25-12, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for all of the info guys!