Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Jamis Bosanova or Surly Cross Check / LHT

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-12, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have test ridden the Jamis Aurora and it was okay. I wanted to see the Jamis Bosanova but of course no one in the area has it. Can anyone provide feedback on the Bosanova? Also, the Aurora is a 2010 model that the shop owner will not reduce because he states it has better specs than the new ones. Any opinions? I REALLY enjoy the looks of a classic vintage touring cycle with a Brooks saddle and chrome accessories. I have seen the Surly Cross Check modified to achieve a retro look. Is the Cross Check a better alternative than the LHT for daily commuting? Any advice is much appreciated in the on going struggle to find a bike.
Old 03-26-12, 02:15 PM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a CC that I have made into the ultimate commuter/tourer for my uses. It should be much nimbler than the LHT and should have much better acceleration to help with your commute. I have it set up right now sans fenders with a Jannd rear rack, Ortlieb Bike Packers and an Ortlieb H-Bar bag. Schwalbe Marathons 700X28 and a Brooks Team Pro round it out. It is perfect for commuting set up like that for me. For touring I put on my Nitto Campee racks front and rear with fenders and bigger Marathons and it is working great for that. Our rainy season is virtually non-existant right now so that was why I took the fenders off. IMHO, the CC is the best at being good, not great, at everything I have thrown at it. I am not familiar with the Jamis and can give you no feedback. Were I you I would ride them all and see which one fits you the best along with which one will do those things that you really will be doing. If you are not going to be doing heavy laden touring, why go with an LHT? Or if you think you might, then it can also be set up to be what you want it to be.
Old 03-26-12, 03:37 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I REALLY enjoy the looks of a classic vintage touring cycle with a Brooks saddle and chrome accessories
then buy it.. don't obsess over small stuff..
it all unbolts and you can change it.
Old 03-26-12, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
agree with HotRod, if you aren't touring or carrying a regular heavy rear load there's no reason to get the 700c LHT, if most of your riding is lightly loaded and unloaded the CC is a better choice. If you want a bike that can take a heavy rear load well and be nimble the 26" wheeled LHT can do that with light tires.
Old 03-26-12, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can ride a Salsa Casseroll, I think it is a much better buy then the CC. The Salsa has a triple and the overall finish of the frame is much nicer. Its a QBP product like the CC. I'm partial, owning one, but I find it to be a very versatile bike.
Old 03-26-12, 06:50 PM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a CC and it was a decent bike, but I sold it for a Salsa Vaya and couldn't be happier with the switch. Personally I found the CC a bit aggressive with the higher BB. Most people you see run a huge stack of spacers on the stem of the CC. The Vaya has more of a mountain bike feel in my opinion. It has a sloping top tube and a nice relaxed geometry. Its the most comfortable bike I own. I have used it for commuting and I have loaded it down to 70+ pounds and toured with it. I build mine with a triple. Fantastic bike. Interesting that the guy I sold the CC to last summer already sold it and went with the LHT.